D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
MikeJay

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by MikeJay » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Eric,

I think the 8 is just decoration of the clef and doesn't carry any meaning (the experts I hope will correct me if I'm wrong). The C just to the right of the clef means 4/4 time. The counting is indicated in the first exercises and many others as the numbers just above the staff -- 1e 2e 3e 4e. The e comes from the French for "and" -- in French: "et". Of course you are free to say and or et or whatever pleases you. Prof. Delcamp highly recommends counting out loud. It's another thing that I find takes quite some getting used to but is worth the effort.

Enjoy!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 pm

MikeJay wrote: (the experts I hope will correct me if I'm wrong).
Well I'm not going to describe myself as an expert :wink: , but the "8" does have a significance in fact. It means that the notes played actually sound an octave lower than written. If you wrote them out at their actual pitch, as compared to a piano, for instance, you'd have to use a double staff. By using the convention of transposing them up an octave, they fit more neatly onto a single staff. Since this transposition is normal for the guitar, not everyone bothers to show the "8", and it's just assumed.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:09 pm

GeoffB wrote:
MikeJay wrote: (the experts I hope will correct me if I'm wrong).
Well I'm not going to describe myself as an expert :wink: , but the "8" does have a significance in fact. It means that the notes played actually sound an octave lower than written. If you wrote them out at their actual pitch, as compared to a piano, for instance, you'd have to use a double staff. By using the convention of transposing them up an octave, they fit more neatly onto a single staff. Since this transposition is normal for the guitar, not everyone bothers to show the "8", and it's just assumed.

Geoff
Hey thanx for the feedback.
What about the counting, in the theory book and other lessons I have seen. They suggest counting half notes when in common time like this. 1-2 and eight note like this 1+ or as in here 1e.
Why does the half note here take an and instead of be counted like one..two, and so on?
thank you.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:03 am

In common time, when the smallest note in a bar is a half note or a quarter note, you could just count the bar as "1-2-3-4". When there are eighth notes, you might use something like "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and". I think in the exercises M. Delcamp was preparing you for the pieces containing eighth notes, so that you're used to counting in the right rhythm by the time you get to them.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

PaulSClevenger

Post by PaulSClevenger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21 am

Hello. My name is Paul. Here is my very first exercise video.

D01 - 014 - Page 10 - Au clair de la lune
[media]https://youtu.be/Wc7-wVd81d4[/media]

PaulSClevenger

Post by PaulSClevenger » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:44 am

This is Paul again. Please forgive the buzzing on the G. My microphone hates G. :D

D01 - 012 - Page 9 - Old MacDonald
[media]https://youtu.be/rfq8LWdqBok[/media]

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:50 am

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the D01 Lessons! I think you're off to a good start. Your tone is good, and your notes are connected nicely. That is definitely odd about the G and the microphone!

One thing I see right now is that your left hand thumb is wrapped around the side of the neck. It should be on the back of the neck, roughly behind your index and middle finger. Having your thumb on the side is more of a modern guitar technique, I believe.

Hope this is useful,
Jim

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:46 am

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the online classical guitar lessons. :bye:

That was indeed well done. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

The thumb over the neck is a power grip and instinctive. It is needed for steel string guitars. It would be best to break the habit now before it gets too entrenched. I look forward to seeing you in lesson D01-2.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:54 am

paulsclevenger wrote:Hello. My name is Paul. Here is my very first exercise video.
Hi Paul,

Good to see you starting the lessons. I see you haven't formally registered for the students group yet. Could you please have a look at the first post in the Registrations for Forum Lessons thread and then post your application on that thread? Thanks.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

JayLee

Post by JayLee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:31 am

I'm not sure yet whether to follow D01, D02 or D03 for the lessons starting up in September 2011. These here might have to be moved later on anyway, or may not be relevant. I just banged these out tonight:

D01 09 Old MacDonald
[media]https://youtu.be/uQ1TXQSw83Y[/media]

D01 10 Au Clair De La Lune
[media]https://youtu.be/jrL4CNZ20xA[/media]

Jay

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Jay and welcome to the Online Classical Guitar Lessons.

Most of us who had some experience with learning on our own got a serious wakeup call when we started this program. Reading music for guitar, alternating the 'i,m' fingers, rest strokes and damping are the large part of the D01 sylabus working into simulteneous rest strokes and quicker paced pieces toward the end. In particular, the rest strokes and damping were a universally under-developed skill among students.

The formal start of the new academic year is scheduled for September. You can use this time to sample the lessons and especially read the comments of students. it's very revealing since most of us had some illusions which were shattered by the challenges presented in these simple looking musical works.

Try lesson D01-5 La Cucaracha. If nothing else, it is a fun piece.

At the end of this first year students at the various levels, were offered an exam leading to a diploma. To qualify for the exam, you needed to have fully participated in at least 7 of the lessons in the level you were taking the exam for. I expect this year will function similarly.

Good luck with your studies and I look forward to hearing your lessons.

JayLee

Post by JayLee » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 am

Robert Goodwin wrote:Hi Jay and welcome to the Online Classical Guitar Lessons.
Thanks for your welcome, Robert. I've been looking through the lessons in all three grades and I've been encouraged by what I've seen.

The current plan is to post about 3 to 4 D01 lessons, then I'll try to post one or two D02 or D03 lessons, maybe... All before the start of the term in September! The group dynamics seem pretty good. I wonder what the numbers will be like come September? There should be good groups for the next term.

Jay

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:38 am

Here is my 'Old MacDonald'!

[media]https://youtu.be/JLfrm_F0NYc[/media]

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 am

What is the arc in a clef bar means? For example in page 8 of D01.
I know is a very newbie question but i always forger :)

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 am

@Morgan,
Well done :bravo:

You seem to have good posture and hand positions.

I did notice that you played the quarter notes in measure 8 and 9 as sixteenth notes which causes the rhythm to sound a little odd at that point. Just something to keep in mind as you work on your next piece.

@Eric,
The bar above the staff indicates a complete musical phrase. In the introduction to the lessons, Professor Delcamp refers to concentrating on practicing the individual phrases more than just playing from start to finish.

Best reqards, all.

Bob G.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”