D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
John Fuary

Re: D01 - Lesson 1

Post by John Fuary » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:56 am

Hi Geoff (Moderator)
How do I place an attachment on this ? Can't see any "Insert attachment/file" at top of this page.
Sorry, but I'm not terribly IT wise.
Thanks
John Fuary

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:02 am

Hi John, there is a guide here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24921&st=0&sk=t&sd ... 30#p247717 . It refers to JPGs, but applies equally to other attachments.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 am

Good morning kind sir, how to apply the lessons for left-handed learners?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Kai, you will notice from the videos that M. Delcamp is left-handed. The lessons work for either hand.

By the way, to follow this course you need to register in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023 . Please see the conditions at the start of that thread. You need to advertise these lessons and confirm there that you have done so (that is your "payment" for the lessons). There is more information here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=54023&start=0

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Is my video viewable now? Please let me know if it is not. After looking at it myself, I have a couple of questions regarding the guitar position. I hope that I can get some feedback.

I noticed that my right wrist is rather high and angled to the right (ie towards the back of the instrument). I was comparing this position with a few professional guitarists on YT and noticed many of their wirsts are flatter and that the forearm and hand are more in line, except for folks like Parkening who has more of the angled back wrist.
Might anyone have suggestions of how to rememdy this? I noticed that Jason Vieaux has his guitar soundboard angled in such a way that his right forearm leans more in front of the soundboard rather than on the side.

The other thing is that my left index finger is sticking up most of the time.

Thanks.

Darren

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi Darren, Yes, I can view your video. Good job! I'll leave your question on hand position to the more experienced players. I'm trying to get the recording aspect down right now so I can upload.

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks Susan. I look forward to your turn at "stardom"!

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:03 am

Darren Vass wrote: I noticed that my right wrist is rather high and angled to the right (ie towards the back of the instrument). I was comparing this position with a few professional guitarists on YT and noticed many of their wirsts are flatter and that the forearm and hand are more in line, except for folks like Parkening who has more of the angled back wrist.
Might anyone have suggestions of how to rememdy this?
Hi Darren,

It's hard to have a clear view of your sitting position, but based on the left knee we see I think you should open your legs a little wider, move your left leg outward, this will move the guitar to your left a bit, this should help flatten your right wrist.

One other thing I noticed is that the guitar is tilted a bit towards you, this helps at seeing the frets, but normally if you read music you don't have to look at the fretboard, tilting it towards the music stand so that you barely see the frets should also help with your wrist angle.

Denis
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Denis,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll experiment with your suggestions. Regarding the tilting of the neck back, I do this as a suggestion from some of the books I have. I think the reason given is that it creats a space behind the body of the guitar, so resonance is not damped by the abdomen/torso. I will try to move the neck more forward to see what happens.

Again, thanks for your observations.

Darren

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Good day...

Would you care to critique my playing? :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Chris NewVillage wrote:Good day...

Would you care to critique my playing? :merci:
Hello Chris,
:casque: :bravo:

C'est un détail, mais, pouvez-vous stopper les résonances ?
Please, can you damp the preceding note ?
Damp the preceding note.JPG
04_______anonyme_a_la_claire_fontaine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:( + ♫ = :)

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Darren Vass wrote:Hello again. My name is Darren. I'm returning to the classical guitar after a 20 year layoff. Here is my attempt at "A La Claire Fontaine" on page 8.

[media]https://youtu.be/7aV2yI7xwgE[/media]
Hello Darren,
:casque: :bravo:
:( + ♫ = :)

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:14 am

Jean-François Delcamp wrote: C'est un détail, mais, pouvez-vous stopper les résonances ?
Please, can you damp the preceding note ?
Thank you, Mr. Delcamp, for reviewing & responding.

Wow! :shock: Considering the damping makes the piece much more difficult. I have to work on it.

FYI: The D01 delcamp_volume1.pdf I downloaded from "Collection of scores for guitar - levels D01 to D03" don't show the damping marks you showed. Is that the correct download? Or, is there another location to check?
:merci:

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:30 am

Au clair de la lune
Adult beginner. Community college guitar class is extent of experience. Thank you for the online opportunity.
[media]https://youtu.be/ryGNBG-PNpU[/media]

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:46 am

Nice job Susan! I like the looks and sound of your guitar. May I ask what kind it is? Darren

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”