D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chip_McCullough

Re: D01 - Lesson 1

Post by Chip_McCullough » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:59 am

Au Claire de la Lune

Regards,

Chip

Chip_McCullough

Re: D01 - Lesson 1

Post by Chip_McCullough » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:00 am

Il Est Minuit

Regards,
Chip

Scott Lewis

Re: D01 Lesson 1

Post by Scott Lewis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm

hi folks,

i'm a bit behind, finally picked up that monster sitting in in the corner.

on page six, first damping of the e string, is mr delcamp doing that with the 'm' finger?

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Great job Chip! Are you using the damping technique in your videos yet?

Darren

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:01 am

Thanks Darren. I appreciate the feedback. I "think" I am using the damping technique. Maybe not correctly? We will see...

I must tell you that your tone is very nice, and after your post about RH positioning I thought a little harder about mine. Thanks for the inspiration!

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 am

scott lewis wrote:...on page six, first damping of the e string, is mr delcamp doing that with the 'm' finger?
I can certainly see how the 'p' comes into use there. But I am not sure about that 'm' myself.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:21 am

chip_mccullough wrote:
scott lewis wrote:...on page six, first damping of the e string, is mr delcamp doing that with the 'm' finger?
I can certainly see how the 'p' comes into use there. But I am not sure about that 'm' myself.
Hi guys. :bye:

Darren, Referring to the legend on page 4, I believe that damping is done with the left hand, middle finger, i.e. number 2 finger.

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 am

SO LA SI DO

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 am

Open Strings 02

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:04 am

:desole:

.../... :arrow: D01 Lesson 2
:( + ♫ = :)

Prem

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by Prem » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:31 am

Hi Friends,

I only came 2 days back when i was told that I can learn classical guitaring with Mr. Delcamp. I am so privileged and proud.

I have started practicing page 6 exercise 1 but I got a confusion. Please answer it

1) What is the meaning of \1, \2, \3, \4 (as mentioned in page 4). Do they describe right hand \p \i \m \a?

2) Can they ever describe left hand finger numbers? If Yes, how to differentiate?

3) Exercise 1(pg 6) , Bar 7 says we have to stop the preceding note G with 2 finger? Finger 2 = Index. But as we are playing D Note with the index, how can we stop preceding note G with same finger. I can't see this in video also.

Please clear me

MikeLawrence

Post by MikeLawrence » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:17 am

Prem wrote:Hi Friends,

I only came 2 days back when i was told that I can learn classical guitaring with Mr. Delcamp. I am so privileged and proud.

I have started practicing page 6 exercise 1 but I got a confusion. Please answer it

1) What is the meaning of \1, \2, \3, \4 (as mentioned in page 4). Do they describe right hand \p \i \m \a?

2) Can they ever describe left hand finger numbers? If Yes, how to differentiate?

3) Exercise 1(pg 6) , Bar 7 says we have to stop the preceding note G with 2 finger? Finger 2 = Index. But as we are playing D Note with the index, how can we stop preceding note G with same finger. I can't see this in video also.

Please clear me

I'm just a beginner myself, but standard classical is to call the right hand P - I - M - A and to call the left hand 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 so there is not any confusion. If you would like to relate the two together, 1 = I, 2 = M, 3 = A, and 4 = "pinky" (but of course on the left hand). Thumb is not numbered because... well... this is classical and not travis picking I guess.

In response to question 3 This makes finger 2 middle, not index.

Hope that helps,
Michael

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 am

Prem wrote:1) What is the meaning of \1, \2, \3, \4
Mike,
I think you mean to include the asterisk below each \1, \2, \3, \4, and \p. If so, that means to damp (stop the sound of) the previous note using the left hand finger, 1=index, 2=middle, 3=ring, 4=pinky, p=thumb.

MikeLawrence

Post by MikeLawrence » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 am

Yes, in that combination that is absolutely correct.

I was basically just trying to answer questions 1 and 2 together by saying "it's already taken into account, on right hand it's P-I-M-A-x on left it's x-1-2-3-4 so there should ever be any confusion on which finger to use for which technique...". I probably just wasn't very clear. =\

Michael

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:29 pm

MikeLawrence wrote:Yes, in that combination that is absolutely correct.
:oops:

Mike,

My response was meant for the original poster. Sorry about that.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”