D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Prem

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by Prem » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:14 am

Hi Chris and Mike,

Thanks very much for your answer.

1) But I didn't see Mr. Delcamp using left hand in the exercise 1 & 2.
2) And also my 3rd question is again same as Mr. Delcamp is not using any of hand to damp it.

Am I right? Please correct
Prem

fgorolls

Post by fgorolls » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm

I have started doing some of my old scale exercises and went to the D3 exercises.
I thought they would be "warm-up" scales and quickly found out they DO go along with the D3 lessons. Ooph :shock:
I will here on out stay within the step-wise approach of the lessons, I think that will be easier. :)

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:57 pm

OK, my first attempt to record using, what is to me, the new world of digital. I'm working off a cheap little Olympus digital voice recorder VN-6200PC that allows me to record without having to sit in front of the computer. I apologize for any poor sound reproduction. I am a quick study of things electronic, and will upgrade to a better system (and perhaps even video) soon. (I would like my betters and peers to be able to watch the way I play as well as listen.)

I notice when I play this back on my Mac iTunes player it sounds distorted. (Overdriven?) When I use QuickTime it sounds fine. Not sure what is causing that.
Anyway, this is the icebreaker. Better to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bongglee

Post by bongglee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 am

Hi,

I have received the Volume1.pdf for D01 lesson, but it is written in French.
Is there the Volume1.pdf in English?

Bong

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am

There is only one version. If you scroll down the pdf a bit further, you should find that most things are written in four languages, apart from titles.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:30 pm

I have a simple question about D001.
What are the yellow highlighted boxes in the scores for? (starting pg 6)

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 pm

rpavich wrote:What are the yellow highlighted boxes in the scores for? (starting pg 6)
They indicate potential problem areas. So, pay extra attention there.

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Chris NewVillage wrote:
rpavich wrote:What are the yellow highlighted boxes in the scores for? (starting pg 6)
They indicate potential problem areas. So, pay extra attention there.
Ahh...thank you!

fgorolls

Post by fgorolls » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:51 am

Well, I am trying to get to that first lesson and at least, got the first 3 separated.
Time is so precious and I just need to quit falling asleep after dinner. :?
Saturday will be the first time to practice.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:48 am

fgorolls wrote:Time is so precious...
You can say that again. I have to keep reminding myself.
fgorolls wrote:...I just need to quit falling asleep after dinner.
I hear you. I get home almost 7pm. Dinner's ready. Wife and daughter waiting to eat. If I eat with them, I don't eat much carbs, e.g. rice or bread, because it tends to make me sleepy. If I don't eat, I'll do a short, maybe 20 minute practice. Then I'll join them.

Best of luck to you.

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 am

Good luck to us all....!
I also can't eat carbs or i'll fall asleep too!
I made the mistake of stopping for a beer after work last night with some friends (I don't normally drink) but I "tried" a low carb 23 oz beer....

Well I ended up "trying" 3 of them....and that was the end of practice....I woke up at 9:15 ready for bed!

Saturday morning will surely be more productive!

fgorolls

Post by fgorolls » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:39 am

Stayed within the 30 minutes of practice and found I wanted more. :?
Enjoyed the exercises and will go back to them tomorrow.
Was wondering about the 'thumb' dampening on exercise 2, 3rd staff, measure 11. Is that correct? It seemed Very out of place. Any comments?

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:44 am

fgorolls wrote:Stayed within the 30 minutes of practice and found I wanted more. :?
Enjoyed the exercises and will go back to them tomorrow.
Was wondering about the 'thumb' dampening on exercise 2, 3rd staff, measure 11. Is that correct? It seemed Very out of place. Any comments?
Definitely not a mistake. He shows how to do it in his video. It's not hard. It's basically done with a shift of the right hand. Just shift back for that last note.

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:46 am

Hi,

In the first and second excercises Mr Delcamp has his thumb on the 5th string while he plays the 4th string.
Should I keep my yhumb on the 5th string or is also OK to put my thumb on the 6th string?
There is so little space between the 5th and 4th string that it feels awkward playing the 4th string....

Thanks!

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:17 am

Morgan Peline wrote:Hi,

In the first and second excercises Mr Delcamp has his thumb on the 5th string while he plays the 4th string.
Should I keep my yhumb on the 5th string or is also OK to put my thumb on the 6th string?
There is so little space between the 5th and 4th string that it feels awkward playing the 4th string....

Thanks!
I wondered the same same thing but in later lessons it comes up again and again so it's probably best to work out how to do it now.

I would recommend that you turn the wrist slightly to the right so that the 'i' and 'p' sort of cross each other rather than collide. It can be done although I admit I sometimes struggle with that one. Another exercise that gets better the more you do it. The trick is finding the hand position that works best for you.

Once you reach the point of using the thumb to play, the right hand will probably be in more of a 'floating' condition anyway.

There is an excellent thread on right method here in the lessons forum.

EDIT: here is the link;
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36445

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”