D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Morgan Peline

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by Morgan Peline » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:11 am

Here it is. 'Open Strings 1'!!!!!!

[media]https://youtu.be/sc_LAQ3MJ7s[/media]
I thought this exercise was easy until I actually tried to record it with no mistakes.
I think videoing yourself play all the pieces is a really good way make of making sure you can
play them all the way through. I think I will do this with all the excercises.

I actually let the last note ring for one extra beat, but I didn't want to re-record it again as I had
recorded it at least 10 times before!

Any comments are welcome!

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:29 am

Sounds good, Morgan! You seem relaxed, and have a nice tone. Starting at a slow tempo like that is good, as well. You'll build good technique and muscle memory, and the speed will come on its own over time. I wouldn't worry about the last beat at the end. The music sounds more natural if you hold it out slightly at the end of a phrase, instead of being rigid like the metronome.

RobertPavich

Post by RobertPavich » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:36 pm

You are right!
These seem easy until you try and do them clean and without stopping to correct something!
I'm just starting also, and though I can play a few pieces...these show me where I'm REALLY at.

You did a good job...I hope I do that well when I attempt my video!

What guitar are you playing?

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah, recording yourself playing perfectly without any mistakes is much harder than you think! I think the answer is to play really really slowly.

I just bought a Yamaha CG122MC a few weeks ago for about US$230. It's a nice beginner guitar for the price - not amazing like a really expensive guitar but not bad! The only issue is as the varnish is matt it's really easy to dent and scratch which I have done already, but it's a really nice guitar to play and it feels really nice when you run your hands on it! I think the thin varnish makes for a nicer sound in this price range, also its a solid top so I hope it will sound better the more I play it though I'm not sure as it is so cheap. (It's also starting to warp a slight bit below the bridge but apparently that is normal on thin topped guitars and no big deal...)

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/ ... G122MC.htm
http://www.imuso.co.uk/Acoustic-Guitars ... att-Finish

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:13 am

Next! 'Open Strings 2'.....

I probably could have practised this a bit more but I want to get to some songs (rather than excercises)!
[media]https://youtu.be/wEFi7zwRWNQ[/media]

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:09 am

And another one!
'Sol La si do - G A B C 1'
[media]https://youtu.be/rnpu60JXS94[/media]

alfred

Post by alfred » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi,

I'm at a more advanced level than most of this songs, but as I can't read music I'm following the exercises. I have a question: Why do none of the early fingerings involve the use of a, especially one the 1st string? I've never played using only i and m and it seems ineffecient. I always play i, m, a on 3rd, 2nd, 1st string unless the tempo merits an alternation of this...

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:52 am

alfred wrote:Hi,

I'm at a more advanced level than most of this songs, but as I can't read music I'm following the exercises. I have a question: Why do none of the early fingerings involve the use of a, especially one the 1st string? I've never played using only i and m and it seems ineffecient. I always play i, m, a on 3rd, 2nd, 1st string unless the tempo merits an alternation of this...
Hi Alfred,

I can't speak for Mr. Delcamp's reasoning but there has been some discussion of this by students. The general consensus is that alternating allows for faster strokes and a more versatile approach. Later lessons involve the use of the 'i' 'm' and 'a'. The point of the lessons is more about developing a flexible skill that applies to complex classics just as readily as it applies to these simple pieces. Just the fact that we do not have experience at alternating 'i' and 'm' is a good reason to learn it. Then we have a choice.

@Morgan

Well done.

Your guitar has a very nice sound and should be a source of great pleasure as you get into the music. As for the scratches, watch out for the lid on your case if it has latches, Those little daggers can punch a hole right into you guitar if the lid flops down while you are putting it away. Even though the case on my guitar has a zipper, I always hold on to the lid just to stay in practice. Belt buckles and shirt buttons are another source of minor scratches.

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:14 am

Here is 'Sol La Si Do - G A B C 2'

[media]https://youtu.be/SzgMKRD97iw[/media]

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:02 am

Hi Morgan. Somewhere in these lessons I saw a comment Mr. Delcamp made that it's ok to use a metronome but it's better to start counting and timing the measures on your own. Actually, your metronome seems a bit slow to me.

What I do is the old "One-mississippi-two-mississippi-three-mississippi." That produces a timing at roughly sixty beats per minute. A lot of the early exercises are at 120 beats so it's just two notes per 'nnn-mississippi'. Just for fun and as a sort of extra challenge I tend to count sustains and rests out loud "Two-three-four" :)

If a piece doesn't fit the 120 beat profile I just adjust the speed a little faster or slower. Seems to work pretty good.

What Mr Delcamp suggested was using a similar song as a basis for timing.

Anyway, are you ready yet for lesson #2? I think you would do just fine but there's no need to rush.

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:33 pm

The metronome was set to 60bps. I actually tend to play the songs slower to get them right.
But I 'll try to do some counting. Can anyone else comment on whether it is better to use a metronome or not?

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Morgan,

I think it's okay to use the metronome once in a while, but don't depend on it. You need to be able to feel the beats in your head. I'd practice no more than 5 minutes a day with the metronome, then the rest of the time without it. You may not be in perfect time at first, but after a while, it will become natural.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:26 am

Hello everyone, I'm in the D03 group and I have some experience with the "folk guitar" approach of using p for the 3 bass strings and i, m, a for g, b, and e respectively. This is how I learned folk guitar and it carried over into my classical playing for a while. There's nothing really wrong with this unless you're playing successive notes on the same string. As someone else pointed out, then you need to alternate right-hand fingers in order to play a quick pattern of notes.

I have a couple more thoughts about this:

I tend to use the "a" finger when the thumb is playing the low E string and the melody note is on the high E or B because it makes the two simultaneous notes easier to reach, than if you used the "i" or even the "m". But this is not a hard and fast rule, because it is possible to use the other fingers in this situation, just not quite as easy. Sometimes you will need to use "i" or "m" in a case like this because of the overall fingering for the passage, which requires you to use "a" on another string maybe. So there are a lot of factors to consider. An overall rule is to make the easiest, least awkward fingering that gives you the sound you want. (I sometimes find that I can get a certain sound from the nail of the "m" but not with the "a" - my "a" nail is a little differently shaped, but this may also be something that I need to overcome!)

When I started out I tended to use the "a" on the high E whenever I could - later I found that if the thumb was playing the G string then "i" or "m" might be better.

I will sometimes break the "alternate the fingers" rule,particularly if the tempo isn't that fast. Sometimes I want the same sound on each note and can get it easier by using the same finger again, sometimes it's just easier in a slow tempo. This might just be my idea, don't know if it's really approved. Of course you frequently use the thumb in a repeated way and this is okay if it's not too fast, so there is an argument for it.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

NelsonMoreno

Post by NelsonMoreno » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi, I posted some of the exercises in Level D001 and I have news that I have to first register as a student of the course. I want to continue on the course but do not know how to make my record in the D001 level. I grateful to the person who can help to meet this requirement.
Thank you very much.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:31 pm

NelsonMoreno wrote:Hi, I posted some of the exercises in Level D001 and I have news that I have to first register as a student of the course. I want to continue on the course but do not know how to make my record in the D001 level. I grateful to the person who can help to meet this requirement.
Thank you very much.
Hi Nelson,

Follow the link below. Read the requirements in the first post. Also read a few of the posts after that to see where other people have signed up for the online lessons. Then post a message saying that you have done (or will do) something to promote the online instructions. For me, I simply add a promo message to my YouTube videos. Some people post a link on their Facebook page. You can read their messages to see what they did and just do something similar. Nobody expects you to change the world. It's just a gesture of good faith on your part.

A moderator will see your message and add you to the online student group. It's not some automated thing. If you don't post a request to join, I suspect they will eventually remove your posts on the student forum.

Register to participate

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”