D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
James Williams

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 1

Post by James Williams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Here's my attempt at lesson 1. Something happened when exporting to MP3 so my apologies for the sound quality. I've actually moved past this lesson but I'm don't want to skip any material, so I'm starting at the beginning anyway. Your thoughts and comments are welcome!

A La Claire Fontaine
5.mp3
Au Clair De La Lune
7.mp3
Il Est Minuit
8.mp3
Thanks,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi James,
Congratulations at completing lesson 1. :bravo: :bravo:

From your recordings it sounds like you have some skill already but I hope you will stick with the syllabus. I am currently working on D01-5 and it's clear by now that each lesson have given my fingers and mind an unexpected workout but not more than I could handle. Each one lays a new foundation. They look deceptively easy and with this self-paced approach, if you really are advanced you will quickly sail through them. After nearly a year of daily practice and learning from instruction books I have found every lesson has discovered some new weakness I didn't even know I had.

I look forward to hearing you rendition of lesson 2.

Bob Goodwin

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply. I've been playing music for most of my life, but I've only been playing guitar since October, so that makes things easier for me. However, I'm definitely going to stick to the syllabus. I started to fall apart around lesson 6, so I'm coming back to make sure I'm doing everything right first.

Jim

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm still plugging away at 'A la claire fontaine'.

I have one question though. On the songsheet it say say 144.
Is this beats per minute? This seems incredibly fast!

Does M. Delcamp play the example at this speed?
So far I can only play at 55BPM.....

Thanks!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:01 pm

It is beats per minute, but it's just a guide. You can play it slower. In the example, I think M. Delcamp plays it at something closer to 130 beats per minute, approximately.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon May 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Here is my make-up video for lesson 1. If it seems a bit rough; I did this straight from sight reading in about 5 minutes each. Also, it is very hot today and I wasn't running the AC so there is a bit of fan noise in the background.

Watch only if you like to suffer. :lol:
[media]https://youtu.be/jmrWNKUEaNk[/media]

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Tue May 24, 2011 3:08 am

Here is my 'A La Claire Fontaine'. I still can't play it at 144BPM but I thought I would send it in anyway. I've noticed that actually the rest stroke sounds pretty harsh and not very nice.

Is there a way to make the rest stroke sound nicer and less 'harshly percussive' or is that the way it should sound?

Thanks all!

[media]https://youtu.be/XfyXMOQNqMM[/media]

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 am

Hi Morgan,

Very skilfully played. :bravo: My guess is that you already have some experience but like most of us, are discovering weaknesses we didn't know we had such as apoyando and damping.

I have to agree about the sound of the rest stroke, at least in a general sense. In later lessons, there are some exercises that call for playing apoyando but 'piano', that is; playing softly. It is possible. I'm also becoming aware through the videos that what I hear while playing is different from what is heard by my recorder. The percussive effect is lighter as you move up the strings away from the bridge. I expect it is more pronounce with some types of strings such as 'high-tension' and with some guitars. Lolita, my 3/4 sized guitar seems to be guilty of that but she is the easiest on my small, ageing hands.

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 am

So finally here it is 'A la Claire Fontaine' at 144BPM!
Made a few mistakes and it doesn't always sound nice on the ears but I am moving on!
[media]https://youtu.be/o_sh3c5uSpI[/media]

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 am

Hi Morgan;

That was outstanding :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Very clear and precise. I have no suggestions to make at this time as you seem to have grasp the idea of clean crisp full-length notes. Well done.

Bob Goodwin

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi,

I just noticed that I had neglected to post the requested pieces. So here they are.

Cheers,
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthias Bober

Post by Matthias Bober » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Prem wrote:Hi Chris and Mike,

Thanks very much for your answer.

1) But I didn't see Mr. Delcamp using left hand in the exercise 1 & 2.
2) And also my 3rd question is again same as Mr. Delcamp is not using any of hand to damp it.

Am I right? Please correct
Prem
I was wondering about this too. I just started with the first lessons and watched some of the videos and it seems Mr. Delcamp is damping the strings with his middle finger (m) of the picking hand instead of the noted 2nd finger of the fretting hand. I guess there is no hard rule to it but it would be nice to know for us beginners if this is just a mistake in the notation. Thanks in advance.

cheers,
Matthias

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello Matthias,

You are absolutely right -- he is using his left hand to damp rather than following his suggestion in the notation. As you go on, you will notice that he doesn't always finger the pieces as notated but I take that to mean that he just wanting to illustrate that there is more than one way to do it.

cheers,
Mike

Matthias Bober

Post by Matthias Bober » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks Mike. I guess I will just go with what is easiest for me for these passages.

cheers,
Matthias

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Matthias Bober wrote:Thanks Mike. I guess I will just go with what is easiest for me for these passages.

cheers,
Matthias
Hi Mathias,

There are updates (corrections) to the various scores from time to time and they are re-uploaded so you might want to check for a more current version. I agree; there are a few instances where the score doesn't match the example. This isn't the only one.

As to damping with the left hand fingers, it mostly consists of tilting the LH finger over to rest on the string physically below it when playing descending notes so it's not obvious that this is happening. On ascending notes, either the same string is plucked or the rest stroke automatically stops the string physically above it.

As long as the damping is correct, and the timing and tone are right, I consider the fingering as suggestions to be followed but not slavishly. They are usually there to help, not hinder.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”