D03 Classical guitar lesson 1

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Leonardo Silva

Re: D03 Lesson 1

Post by Leonardo Silva » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:28 pm

All this damping stuff seems to be new for all of us as long as we're finding some dificulties to do it. some studies that seems to be very easy now turn more complicated as this Andatino op 59.

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:49 am

I recorded the Carulli exercises this evening.
Carulli, Arpeggi di tre note.mp3
Carulli, Arpeggi di quatro note.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Julio, excellent rendition of the Marazula! Congratulations!

Ric, love your Carulli's arpeggios - very neat. Good work with the Marazula and Cacassi's Andantino op 59, too! It is as you say, the damping does put extra pressure on everyone, it seems.

Greg, good work with the Arpeggios!

This is my try on Morlaye's Gaillarde - had to play it almost 20 times and this is the least imperfect of all... :chaud:
Was going to do Carrulli's Arpeggios and Carcassi's piece as well, but after the multiple attempts at Gaillarde I found I have no more finger strength to do them properly! Another day, I guess. Whereas Marazula I think is beyond my current ability and practise habits at the moment. Of all the pieces, I found it the most frustrating to play.

And I have to confess I haven't been practising as Mr Delcamp recommends - I'd just play a piece over and over again, as I am used to doing. With the pieces getting higher in quantity and difficulty level I guess this method won't be effective any longer.. I have to start being disciplined about practising. Oh well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:29 am

Irene, very nice with the Gaillarde. I'm going to spend more time with that one in the future.

For now here is the Carcassi Andantino. I worked on this piece a few years ago. Interesting that the book I have has it marked at 84, rather than the 104 of our score. It's a simple piece but I struggled with it then and still am! There are just a lot of ways to vex the right hand, especially adding the continual damping of the open strings. Anyway, I don't think I will play it ever again!
Carcassi, Matteo; Andantino op 59.mp3

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Irene, the Gaillarde sounds good. It has given me many problems as well and has been the one the hardest one for this lesson for me. I was trying to record mine yesterday, but after practising and trying to get a good take, my fingers just gave out, so I'll try again later today.

Greg, your Carcassi sound very good. The open string damping was difficult at first for me as well.

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:18 pm

hello everybody,

thanks a lot for your comments here´s my last piece for this lesson. Hope I made it on time. I have to rush to work now but I´ll get a chance to listen to your recordings tonight.

Gaillarde, by the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qp73lIQ0G8

cheers

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:32 am

Greg, on the Andantino, maybe I was missing something but it seemed like there were only a couple of places where damping was marked? I know I only damped in a few places on it.

On the practicing method, I give Mssr. Delcamp credit for coming up with a practice regimen that gives you a lot of payoff for a very small amount of practice time, (that is if you can resist the temptation to want to play music most of the time). It has been easier to resist than I thought, although I miss just playing through my favorite pieces based on the mood that strikes me. I've only done this a couple of time in the last few weeks. And I am finding a lot more music than I expected in actual pieces of music assigned, although on the 15 minute days I only get to play parts of them.

I confess that for the Gaillarde I played it through many times each day, in addition to the other practice, because I liked it so much. But I have seen great improvement in my relaxation and right hand technique from the "exercise" approach. I make an exception for the first few "polyphony" exercises, I always play them through in their entirety 3 times for every practice session. But after this I just play the highlighted sections 6 - 12 times each on the 15 minute days.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 am

Greg, on the Andantino, maybe I was missing something but it seemed like there were only a couple of places where damping was marked? I know I only damped in a few places on it.
Hi Jeremy, on the first measure for example, the easiest way for me to play is to stroke the CE with the m&p, then the G with the i, then the CE again and then the G, all the time letting the G ring and so forth. I'm not setting up the i. I believe Mr. Delcamp wanted us to set up the mpi on the CE&G, play the CE, then the G then immediately set up again with all 3 fingers on the strings for the next beat. When you set up you effectively damp the G and later in the score the open D doing the same thing only with p. I could always start out like this no problem but the repetitions would eventually make it difficult to change the fingers when required, I would begin to loose some finger independence. Here is the first line played slowly both ways.
Carcassi sample.mp3
Julio, very nice Gaillarde.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:53 am

Greg, the Carulli arpeggios sound great! beatiful tone and execution.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:54 am

Greg, I understand what you mean about planting the fingers on the g, b, e strings before the arpeggio - I think you're right that this was the intent - it didn't occur to me for some reason. I'll try practicing it that way.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 am

Irene, I think your tone and execution on the Gaillarde is excellent. It is very musical.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:02 am

Okay Greg, I think you've sold me on the planting and damping with the Carcassi - you squeezed a lot more music out of this one than I did. Very good expression!

Jeremy
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:05 am

Julio, nice Gaillarde! You could really feel the pulse and 3 beat vs. 2 beat all the way through.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 am

thank you Greg and Jeremy!

:bravo: Irene, I just listened to the gaillarde! It also took me many times to get the video done.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 am

:( + ♫ = :)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”