D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:02 am

Hello everyone,
Please download the new version of volume D01 dated today.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: C major scale. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Page 59: In the following exercises, you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes). Exercises 17 to 20 are for the fingers of the right hand. The sign (x) indicates that the right hand finger is placed on the string.
Exercise 21 is for the left hand: lean the left hand finger to damp the adjacent string at the same time as you start the new note.
delcamp_D01_p59_terminer_fermare_damp_apagar.jpg

D01 p59 n17

D01 p59 n18

D01 p59 n19

D01 p59 n20

D01 p59 n21

Finally, we'll look at six simple tunes, pages 11 to 15
Anonymous: Doucement, doucement

Anonymous: Jig

Anonymous: London's burning, canon

Anonymous: Une souris verte

Anonymous: J'ai du bon tabac

Anonymous: La tête bizarde

Anonymous: Frère Jacques, canon

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
La tête bizarde
Frère Jacques

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes with the control of sound that I'm endeavouring to teach you.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB), Dan (dng) and flameproof, who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:( + ♫ = :)

Linda

Re: D01 Lesson 2

Post by Linda » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:28 am

Mr. Delcamp,

Thank you for putting so much time into such a generous endeavor. I have gotten through lesson 1 and tried all of the techniques you showed us. And I was surprised at the difficulty trying to do the rest strokes, but really pleased with the sound they created.

I have enjoyed watching everyone videos, and wish everyone the best of luck.

I will post as soon as I can round up a decent recorder.

Thanks again,
linda
linea

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Having fun with 18c... :mrgreen:

jackpot12

Post by jackpot12 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Ya, me too. I have a tendency to drag my middle finger. I've already noticed much improvement in my right hand control using these exercises. They require your hand to relax between strokes.

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Just a clarification. You guys mentioned 18C. Are we supposed to do the parts that are yellowed out? On my printer, they become almost unreadable with the mustard color overlay.

Thanks,

Darren

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Darren Vass wrote:Just a clarification. You guys mentioned 18C. Are we supposed to do the parts that are yellowed out? On my printer, they become almost unreadable with the mustard color overlay.

Thanks,

Darren
Hi Darren

I have been deleting the yellow blocks before printing by clicking on them and hitting the delete key, but not saving the changes in the .PDF when closing the file. I have been highlighting these bits manually with a pen after printing. My printer does not play ball either. Not sure what you have as a .pdf reader/editor, but I have been using Preview on my Mac. The yellow blocks are the bits we need to pay particular attention to.

Cheers. Greg.

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:01 am

Hi Greg,

I use Adobe to read the pdf files. I am able to click and "highlight" the highlighted yellow boxes, but cannot change anything about them. It's not bad if I read close up, but I can't make out the notes from the distance I need to hold my guitar. I'll figure something out.

Darren

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:19 am

Hi Darren, I just print it on my black and white printer. No problems this way. Then I write in the areas with a pencil. If you don't have a black and white printer some printers let you print in black and while only or sometimes you can take the color ink out. Good luck! Susan

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks Susan. That will work.

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:07 am

Chris NewVillage wrote:Having fun with 18c... :mrgreen:
Man, this is difficult. It's tough enough to get the pairs of fingers to work independently, but then to be able to transition from chord to chord legato. I can do it very slowly, and even then, it takes concentration. It seems like my fingers have a mind of their own. Yikes!

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 am

Darren: 18c. I guess don't worry much about it. Maybe focus on the ones we have to upload.

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Still having trouble navigating the site. Where can I go to get the updated version of D01?

I am a beginner and am transitioning from plucking each string with a specific finger - index finger, G string; middle finger, B string; ring finger, high E string. How essential is it to do the i - m - i - m sequencing?

Finally, I see D01 Lesson is Locked so that is why I cam to Lesson 2 to post this.

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:57 pm

I found the updated version, thanks.

Scott Lewis

Post by Scott Lewis » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:06 pm

I am a beginner and am transitioning from plucking each string with a specific finger - index finger, G string; middle finger, B string; ring finger, high E string. How essential is it to do the i - m - i - m sequencing?
hi jim, i'm a beginner, too. although i've scratched on the classical guitar, off and on ... mostly off ... for years, i've never had any systematic training (uhh 'damping?" :) i'm thankful for this opportunity, but it's going to be difficult for me to keep it up.

anyway, i believe the i-m-i-m sequencing (alternating fingers instead of simply i-i-i-i) is meant to help with the velocity with which one can play. other factors, i'm thinking, are independence of fingers and relaxation. i've also been told not to be slavish about the fingering, but that it's good to be mindful of the fingering you choose. somebody help me out here, is any of that making sense?

it is a beautiful instrument. my favorite to listen to.

cheers,

s.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi, Jim & Scott, comrades.
Scott Lewis wrote:...is meant to help with the velocity with which one can play. other factors, i'm thinking, are independence of fingers and relaxation. i've also been told not to be slavish about the fingering, but that it's good to be mindful of the fingering you choose.
Sounds reasonable to me. Also, i-m gets a beginners feet/fingers wet.
it is a beautiful instrument.
Yes! And for me, the best motivation to keep the faith... :D

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”