D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DarrenV

Re: D01 Lesson 2

Post by DarrenV » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm on vacation and displaced for two weeks, so had to borrow a guitar from my brother-in-law. It's a very nice guitar. Had to borrow a camcorder and practicing in non-familiar surroundings in between vacation activities. I'll try to post the other requested pieces. I'll share this one for what it's worth. Darren

[media]https://youtu.be/_la2YMJiEMM[/media]

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Darren Vass wrote:I'm on vacation and displaced for two weeks, so had to borrow a guitar from my brother-in-law. It's a very nice guitar. Had to borrow a camcorder and practicing in non-familiar surroundings in between vacation activities. I'll try to post the other requested pieces.
Wow, that's commitment-uploading on vacation! Sounds great Darren- good tone, hand position and musicality (even Frere Jacques can be played with expression.)

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks, Penelope, Linda, and Darren. I appreciate it.

@ Penelope: I've been 'dabbling' for about 2 years. No formal training. Read a whole bunch of books. Followed some here and there. Still do. I could have probably been better for the time I've spent. Still, I am happy where I am.

@ Linda: Don't sweat it. You'll get there. Are you doing D01, also?

@ Darren: Upload Lesson 2, too!

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Chris NewVillage wrote:Thanks, Penelope, Linda, and Darren. I appreciate it.

@ Darren: Upload Lesson 2, too!
Chris, Which Lesson 2 are you wanting me to upload? I thought the piece I played was part of lesson 2.

Darren

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 pm

Darren,

Whoops! Didn't see your post on the 3rd page! :lol: :oops: :desole:

Great job. Nice video, too. :bravo:

Linda

Post by Linda » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, I am working on D01 also. As soon as I round up a suitable recorder, I will try to post our assignments. :)

linda
linea

Scott Lewis

Post by Scott Lewis » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:49 pm

oh, you brave souls! i am behind but i am trying. i'm working with a left hand injury, but at this point the left hand is not much of and issue. hope all is well.

s.

Chris NewVillage

Re: D01 Lesson 2. Frere Jacques

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 am

Here's a slow version of Frere Jacques. Critiques welcome! :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:50 am

Help!

I'm using a Toshiba netbook and the built-in Toshiba Photo/Video app to make my .wmv files. The files end up about 8 mb, but they're only about 1 minute long. Is that normal? I think I hit the delcamp limit once... 8 mb? That's why, before upload, I changed from 640x480 the 320x240. Also I used Prism Video Converter Plus to reduce the video bitrate. That brought the filesize down to 2 mb. I guess the sound's ok, but now, they don't look so good.

Should I upload to YouTube instead?

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Chris NewVillage wrote:Help!

I'm using a Toshiba netbook and the built-in Toshiba Photo/Video app to make my .wmv files. The files end up about 8 mb, but they're only about 1 minute long. Is that normal? I think I hit the delcamp limit once... 8 mb? That's why, before upload, I changed from 640x480 the 320x240. Also I used Prism Video Converter Plus to reduce the video bitrate. That brought the filesize down to 2 mb. I guess the sound's ok, but now, they don't look so good.

Should I upload to YouTube instead?
Hi Chris,

Nice job. Very smooth, musical and with good tone.

I would recommend uploading to YouTube. You don't have to reduce your video size when you do that. Just upload as is. The video and sound will be much better. Even in 640x480, the video resolution is poor. It is difficult to make out what your fingers are doing in your current video. When you upload to YouTube, you can choose to broadcast your video to only those with whom you share your link.

Again, very nice job on the music.

Darren

SheriDi

Post by SheriDi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:24 pm

Hello to all and congratulations to all of you who have posted video/audio files! :bravo: I've listened to all of them and am very impressed. I started this process at D02 about a week after the first lesson was posted. It then took me a few days to realize that I was getting ahead of myself and should probably move to D01 and get a good foundation before moving on. So here I am a good 2 weeks behind but am working hard to catch up to the point where I can post some audio files. At that point I'll have to take some time to even figure out how to do that!

As far as the lessons go, I have been practicing probably a good 3 to 4 hours each day in an effort to catch up. At first I was VERY frustrated as I never used the rest stroke or damping before. What a challenge! But this morning I picked up my guitar and played some of the studies from Lesson 1 and my fingers seemed to automatically remember where to go to damp a string! Not every time mind you, but enough that I can feel progress. That's what it's all about isn't it?

I look forward to conversing with and learning from all of you.

Sheri

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 pm

SheriDi wrote:Hello to all and congratulations to all of you who have posted video/audio files!
Hi, SheriDi. Welcome! Glad to have you...
SheriDi wrote:...been practicing probably a good 3 to 4 hours each day
Wow! Wish I could do that much...
SheriDi wrote:...my fingers seemed to automatically remember where to go to damp a string!
Nice. Looks like D02 wasn't all for naught.

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:24 pm

@Peer Thank you, I will look into that stool. I may need to order from overseas depending on cost or availability. We don't have a proper guitar store here or much music store. Most music stores are those that sell audio CDs for sale and may have a few boxes of guitar strings on the wall for sale as well.

My new one is the 1st string, its start a fine and small piece fraying off around the 2nd fret (new strings from previous owner of the guitar just $20 cheapies :P) So I'll have to look at bringing strings in halfway around the world to pay 1/3rd the local going price. Now I just need a decent recommendation of string. Its not a concert guitar but the Yamaha has decent enough sustain and resonation capability. Lights are out and probably heavy as I'm not in it for volume right now. But would appreciate anyone's advice to decent pack or two of strings to try out for variety.

@Chris Welcome aboard, some of us are trying to catch up as well. I think if we fall behind, so long as we keep at it, that's what counts even if we end up with locked post threads by the time we catch up with materials.

Cheers,
PeterD

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Darren Vass wrote:Nice job. Very smooth, musical and with good tone.
I would recommend uploading to YouTube. You don't have to reduce your video size when you do that. Just upload as is. The video and sound will be much better. Even in 640x480, the video resolution is poor. It is difficult to make out what your fingers are doing in your current video. When you upload to YouTube, you can choose to broadcast your video to only those with whom you share your link.
:merci:, Darren. Glad you like the piece. I'll figure out YouTube.

I forgot to mention... I'm using the built-in camera on the netbook. I think that may be a factor, too. Do you think I should I get an external one?

Thanks again.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:41 pm

PeterD wrote:@Chris Welcome aboard, some of us are trying to catch up as well. I think if we fall behind, so long as we keep at it, that's what counts even if we end up with locked post threads by the time we catch up with materials.
Thanks for the welcome, Peter! :)
True, but this lesson is 3 weeks long, so there should be no excuse, right? LOL! :wink:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”