D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
SheriDi

Help with recording

Post by SheriDi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 pm

I am playing around with recording now and hope some here can steer me in the right direction.

I don't have a video recorder and the sound recorder I am using is the only one I have, which is what came with Windows Vista. The microphone is also one I dug out of a drawer which came with a computer I owned many years ago. Needless to say, the sound is terrible. Is there a program (inexpensive) I should look into, or will buying a better microphone do the trick.

How are you all recording sound files?

Thanks for any help.

Sheri

SusanGRas

Re: D01 Lesson 2

Post by SusanGRas » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:28 am

Hi Sheri, The recording is a challenge. I have a tripod and video camera but I don't have any means to start the recording unless I turn it on at the camera, walk to my chair, play, get up and turn it off. I am ready to record my pieces so I am hoping someone is available tomorrow! My daughter said that I can edit the video but that is a bit beyond my current skills. :) I see that most of the still digital cameras have a video mode. Since our pieces are short I think this would work but you'll have the same start and stop problem. Also I just noticed my phone has a recorder on it!
Hi Chris, I found this great info on putting youtube videos here, viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24921&p=296052#p296052.
Good luck all! Hope to post my lesson 2 tomorrow. Susan

DarrenV

Re: Help with recording

Post by DarrenV » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:03 am

SheriDi wrote:I am playing around with recording now and hope some here can steer me in the right direction.

I don't have a video recorder and the sound recorder I am using is the only one I have, which is what came with Windows Vista. The microphone is also one I dug out of a drawer which came with a computer I owned many years ago. Needless to say, the sound is terrible. Is there a program (inexpensive) I should look into, or will buying a better microphone do the trick.

How are you all recording sound files?

Thanks for any help.

Sheri
Hi Sheri,

I use this webcam:

http://www.*** Commercial link removed ***/Logitech-Webcam-9 ... -1-catcorr

It costs $55, but it has a built in mic and camera. The video quality is very good and the sound is good too. Look at my first video upload in Lesson 1. You can find software to do basic video editing. Windows actually has free software you can download to edit videos.

Darren

Penelope Phillips-Armand

recording and exporting equipment

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Darren,
I'll have to look into that camera and maybe put it in my Wish Book: the only one I've seen so far (for Mac and eventually for YouTube) costs twice that price.

Sheri,
I'm using the built-in microphone on our Mac, plus an old version of Sound Studio--which I bought nine years ago,
when it cost only $25. Garage Band came with this more recent computer, so that would be another possibility for me, at least. As for Windows-compatible programs, you probably have a great deal more choice. For converting to mp3, I followed a suggestion I found somewhere on this site and installed Audacity, which didn't work until I added a supplement called LAMELib and put it into the Audacity folder. When I run into any kind of impasse with new software--that is, can't get it to work--I type my question into Google, and usually find some kind of user forum where other people have solved the same problem.

Hope we'll soon be hearing you play.

Penelope

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Darren Vass wrote:I would recommend uploading to YouTube
Hey Darren... Thanks for the youtube tip. Here's La Tete Bizarde on youtube. [media]https://youtu.be/HCD8R5ubsOs[/media]
I think the result is acceptable. But, the filesize was huge for a 1 minute file -- approx 42 MB. I used WMV, normal compression in my Toshiba netbook built-in webcam. I'll try the High Compression next.

With your Logitech 9000:
1) Do you upload directly from it, or do you make a file first?
2) If uploaded, how large is the file?

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Chris NewVillage wrote:
Darren Vass wrote:I would recommend uploading to YouTube
Hey Darren... Thanks for the youtube tip. Here's La Tete Bizarde on youtube. [media]https://youtu.be/HCD8R5ubsOs[/media]
I think the result is acceptable. But, the filesize was huge for a 1 minute file -- approx 42 MB. I used WMV, normal compression in my Toshiba netbook built-in webcam. I'll try the High Compression next.

With your Logitech 9000:
1) Do you upload directly from it, or do you make a file first?
2) If uploaded, how large is the file?
1. Much better video and sound quality. Stick with the Youtube route.
2. I don't upload automatically. OK, OK, confession time. I do several takes, unlike all you prodigies here. I use video editing software and airbrush in the correct hand and finger gestures, alter the tones with my synthesizer, several filters, and THEN upload the finished product :) Seriously, I do use a video editing software by Corel, just to upload only the clip I want to use. I seem to become more mistake prone once the camera is recording. I figure this must be a little similar to performing live!
3. I can't tell you now how large the file is, as I'm operating for another week at least out of different homes in Texas. Will let you know when I return to WI. Burrrrrrrr.
Darren

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Darren Vass wrote: I do several takes, unlike all you prodigies here...I seem to become more mistake prone once the camera is recording.
Same here, depending on how I feel/time of day/day of week. :lol:
Darren Vass wrote: 3. I can't tell you now how large the file is, as I'm operating for another week at least out of different homes in Texas. Will let you know when I return to WI. Burrrrrrrr.
Darren
Thanks. Am considering getting the logitech 9000, too.

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:50 pm

@Chris: Good catch, I only just joined on this lesson and was still feeling they were 1 week lessons. Plenty of time now!

@Penelope: A lot of Mac and Windows users forget that iTunes software converts audio from .wav to .mp3 or .aac etc. You have to go to preferences and chance your "Audio CD Import Settings" as this is where it is located as most iTunes users would be thinking of converting Audio CDs (really just wav files) to their iTunes. It defaults to Apple Lossless Encoder so when you right click on any sound file you import to your library it has "Convert to Apple Lossless" so to make it say "Convert to mp3" you need to change your preferences for the Audio CD Import Settings to say mp3.

For audio tools above and beyond simple needs I use Rogue Amoeba software. They have two products for not a terrible amount of money. I use the Fission for editing audio files and the Audio Hijack Pro to take any audio playing through the mac and redirecting it to an audio file in pure digital copy with no loss of quality.

Cheers,
PeterD - still building up nice masses of calluses :)

SheriDi

Post by SheriDi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Well i've fiddled with my microphone and software (such as it is) to the point that I could make a semi-decent recording of the C Major scale. It's a wma file, should I convert it to MP3?

I will continue to look into an inexpensive video camera and software. Thanks to those who answered my question.
cmj.wma
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marie-Cécile Satonet

Post by Marie-Cécile Satonet » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi !
I've started the lessons on the french forum, but I feel like joining in the discussion on the UK one as well.
So I'll start by posting the recording I made a couple of days ago....
I'm sure there not very good....
Any critics will be very welcome !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:42 pm

@Cecilia -- Welcome! They sound pretty good. Have you just started learning?
Your guitar sounds different, like it has steel strings.
The recording is clean. Thank you for sharing.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 pm

SheriDi wrote:...C Major scale....
Hi Sheri! Nice... clean... and smooth. Looking forward to hearing more. :merci:

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:59 am

I made videos today. I would have redone the pieces but my daughter got tired of turning on and off the video recorder because I was making errors. I need a remote or I need to get a webcam so I do not need someone else to help with the recording. I find it takes way more takes than I would have thought. Additionally I need to make my playing a bit more lively and add a smile or two. :) The last time I must have put the recorder closer so it decapitated me. Initially I had planned to just do audio. This is a very brave step for me to post videos!

Also the previous time I converted what came from the video camera to wmv. I did not do that this time and while it worked it took much longer to upload to youtube.

The C major scale

[media]https://youtu.be/S2Laygsizt8[/media]

Exercise No. 20

[media]https://youtu.be/Fm1lxsmlIOU[/media]

La tête bizarde

[media]https://youtu.be/lop6HapwHdc[/media]

Frère Jacques

[media]https://youtu.be/1V7jWVXI4ZI[/media]

Thank you Mr. Delcamp for the lessons! Susan

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi to ChrisNewVillage, I really like the way you add vibrato to your left hand. Is there somewhere in the score that says to do this? Or just on the longer notes? Anyway, your videos were great. And as I mentioned in my post when I converted the files to wmv they were much smaller and went up very fast to youtube. This time I didn't do that and they took longer. Anyway thanks! Susan

Marie-Cécile Satonet

Post by Marie-Cécile Satonet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Chris NewVillage wrote:@Cecilia -- Welcome! They sound pretty good. Have you just started learning?
Your guitar sounds different, like it has steel strings.
The recording is clean. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for your answer, Chris,
I 've started again in august, after a few years off...
My strings are Savarez Alliance HT classic, made from synthetic fiber. But I agree with you, they do sound like steel? I don't know why. I play on a 28 years old Yamaha G 231 II...

I iwn recordings on You tube are quite good I think ! :bravo:
Last edited by Marie-Cécile Satonet on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”