D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jim Stewart

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Post by Jim Stewart » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 pm

This is my first try at recording and uploading so hope it works. It seems to me even with recording at home there is an element of "stage" fright involved. This came a week after taking six weeks off the guitar and is not the standard I would like to have at this point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:31 pm

D01, Lesson 2
What a great set of compact and effective lessons. Having a fun time.
This my first lesson post.

[media]https://youtu.be/XWWH7Xyad-w[/media]

Thanks for any feedback, Ross

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 am

@Jim Stewart
Hi Jim. That was a very nice recording. It did sound like you were using free strokes instead of rest strokes in 'La Tete Bizarde'. The rest strokes will do most of the string damping in that piece automatically so it's kind of important. I am working on the same piece right now and have tried video recording it but I want a full week of practice before I post a video. I have the same problem with being camera shy.

@RossStep
Wow! That was knock-my-sock-off' good. Beautiful guitar BTW.

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:51 am

Bob
Thanks for your kind comment.
Ross

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:23 pm

WOW! I made a serious mess of my first attempt to post a FLIPVIDEO recording of me doing Frere Jacques. The file size is a monster and the video looks like a psychedelic screensaver but the sound came out ok. Funny, it plays ok on my system.

I tried to do this as if I had practised for a week and went back to my instructor and played it for him. No re-recording or editing. I did cut out the part where I pick up my guitar and sit down.

[media]https://youtu.be/0YsgE2l8eLw[/media]

EDIT: You can't see the video part or you would laugh at how hard I was pushing on the sixth string. Just a stress reaction.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:22 pm

At least I'm getting better at editing videos.

I have to admit, I recorded this one more than once. The first attempt was a disaster.

[media]https://youtu.be/sAUORxX_y2Q[/media]

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi Bob
Your video is blocked at work. I'll check it out at home tonight. Looks like you've been busy.
Ross

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:15 am

Bob
Good alternating im on RH rest strokes. The camera angle makes it difficult to see your left hand work, but you made all the notes. Keep going forward. Your playing was much smoother and relaxed on the second tune.
Ross

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:25 am

RossStep wrote:Bob
Good alternating im on RH rest strokes. The camera angle makes it difficult to see your left hand work, but you made all the notes. Keep going forward. Your playing was much smoother and relaxed on the second tune.
Ross
Thanks for the encouragement. Now it's on to lesson 3.

Bob Goodwin

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:30 pm

OK: here are my attempts at D01 lesson 2. I threw in the Anonymous Jig just for fun. A couple mistakes and probably did exercise 20 a little fast. I'm finally getting a new camcorder this week as a belated birthday present to myself. That should give you some visual of my technique and etc. to critique. My cat gets a little jealous when I pay my guitar more attention than her - you may hear her complain occasionally in the background. My apologies. I would lock her out of the room, but then she starts pounding on the door with her paw. She's worse than a possessive woman! :P

PS: This sounds much better with QuickTime than it does with iTunes. Not sure why. Sorry about that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Scott,
That was excellent. It sounds like you may be new to these lessons but not new to classical guitar. Now it's on to lesson D01-3.

I'm guessing you will catch up with me as I am taking extra time with lesson three in order clean up my technique before moving on. I still get buzzing stings and awkward timings. I am on my second week working on three and am allowing another week if needed before I go on.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks Bob! I really appreciate the feedback. And don't hesitate to let me know what needs improving as well. I know I had a couple "thumps" and fret buzzes, but I was too lazy after five takes to record it again. :lol: Really, that goes for everyone. I'm not that thin-skinned and I'm here to learn. I'm going to try to contribute more to these discussions (as I promised when I signed up for these lessons.) I know it's probably hard to critique your peers - it is for me. But I think good-willed suggestions and comments will encourage us to continue and advance. I hope mine are taken in that spirit as well.
It sounds like you may be new to these lessons but not new to classical guitar. Now it's on to lesson D01-3.
Yep to all. I'm starting over because I taught myself a bunch of bad habits many years ago, before I dropped it. Also, I think you've got the right idea about not rushing yourself. At least get the main technique "idea" of the lesson down before moving on, even if you don't hit every exact note the exactly correct way every time. I work for percentages. If we have to be perfect, we're all screwed.

It's not the destination, it's the journey. :wink:

Scotty

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:22 am

Here's my attempt at lesson 2. My biggest issue right now is the finger stretch to the Bs on the fourth fret. I imagine that will get better over time though. I'd appreciate any comments or critiques.

Thanks,
Jim

C Major Scale
14.mp3
Exercise No. 20
4.mp3
La tête bizarde
11.mp3
Frère Jacques
12.mp3

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Sounds good to me, Jim. I have trouble with that 4th finger stretch as well. It does get better with practice. Keep on!

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks Scott. Another little thing I'm dealing with is the lower strings resonating while playing. I try to dampen with the thumb. Is that the proper method, or should I just let them ring?

I also just broke my m fingernail. Blah. It's so awkward to play now.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”