D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Robert Goodwin

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 2

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Congratulations James. You really sailed through that one. :bravo:

I agree the stretch with the '4' is awkward at first but it does seem to get easier with use. Wait till you see 'La Cucaracha' in lesson D01-3 :shock: What I found most difficult was seeing a 'B' note and remembering to use the '4' instead of the open string. My vision is not so good anymore and now that I am 'conditioned', when I see a digit in front of a note I have to stop myself from trying to play it with '4'. :lol: All part of the learning. I know that later on, the scores get very complex and I need to learn that Pavlovian responses don't work too well.

On to lesson 3.

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks Bob! When I first started going through these lessons, I didn't realize the fingering for B was actually the fourth finger, so I played right through most of them thinking 'oh, that's not so hard'. Then I noticed that little detail! La Cucaracha is really what's holding me back for the next lesson, but I'll plug away at it until I get it. :)

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:41 pm

James Williams wrote: Another little thing I'm dealing with is the lower strings resonating while playing. I try to dampen with the thumb. Is that the proper method, or should I just let them ring?
My A and D bass strings love to resonate with the trebles. I usually rest my thumb on the D and allow the lower "side" of the thumb to contact the A string. That seems to keep sympathic vibrations to a minimum. Of course, when sounding bass notes, I have to move off that "rest" position, so sometimes I just can't prevent it. But I do try to damp again ASAP.
James Williams wrote: I also just broke my m fingernail.
I hate that. I have brittle nails. I've heard just filing - no clipping - helps reduce breakage as clippers weaken the nails even more. I'm trying that. I love the sound quality that nails add, but dear God, they are a pain. :roll:

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:04 am

Scott_NyLonChaney wrote: I hate that. I have brittle nails. I've heard just filing - no clipping - helps reduce breakage as clippers weaken the nails even more. I'm trying that. I love the sound quality that nails add, but dear God, they are a pain. :roll:
I've just started avoiding using the scissors. What happened this time was just a stupid move. I'm a tailor, and I was getting ready to do some sewing, I reached down to put on my thimble, missed, and jammed my fingernail into the table, splitting it right across. Tried to save it, but alas . . .

Thanks for the dampening tips. I shall try that out.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:22 am

Scott_NyLonChaney wrote:
James Williams wrote: Another little thing I'm dealing with is the lower strings resonating while playing. I try to dampen with the thumb. Is that the proper method, or should I just let them ring?
My A and D bass strings love to resonate with the trebles. I usually rest my thumb on the D and allow the lower "side" of the thumb to contact the A string. That seems to keep sympathic vibrations to a minimum. Of course, when sounding bass notes, I have to move off that "rest" position, so sometimes I just can't prevent it. But I do try to damp again ASAP.
That technique is definitely a 'must'. You can see Mr. Delcamp using it if you study the videos. There's a lot of hidden knowledge locked away in those videos but it's there to discover (or not.)

Scott_NyLonChaney wrote:
James Williams wrote: I also just broke my m fingernail.
I hate that. I have brittle nails. I've heard just filing - no clipping - helps reduce breakage as clippers weaken the nails even more. I'm trying that. I love the sound quality that nails add, but dear God, they are a pain. :roll:
Penelope noted in one of the lessons that everyone was reporting a sudden rash of 'finger' problems. I certainly went through that. It is another one of those rites of passage. It will pass.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 am

I joined the lessons a little late and skipped recording and the first and second lessons. I've decided to go back and give them a try. It proved to be challenging. Even though I had practiced these exercises a month or so ago, I found that I had to spend quite some time to get them right but still didn't manage to quite do sp. Anyway, here they are. I also include the Jig since I just enjoy playing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:43 pm

@Mike: The recordings sounded good. Nice tone and very lively. You have good dexterity at the faster tempos as well. It sounds like you altered some of the La Tete Bizarde eighth notes to a dotted eighth - sixteenth rhythm. Not a criticism, just an observation - I wonder how much liberty we are allowed/supposed to take with the scores? I notice in the later lessons on this level that M. Delcamp speeds up and slows down the tempo for effect. He also mentioned not being overly dependent on a metronome as it would restrict the freedom of artistic expression. (paraphrasing)

I am conflicted over performing "to the specs" and thinking outside the box. I wonder what our philosophy ought to be at this point. I could sure use some input from the more advanced students on this.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:56 am

That's an interesting question Scott. I've been thinking about that myself lately as I get to a point where I feel that it's just a matter of practicing and repetition that overcomes the various technical difficulties presented in the lessons.

I definitely want to master each technique being taught but I find myself having a different interpretation; especially the one I'm working on now. I'm doing the Divertissement in lesson 5. I'm tempted to record a straight version and also an 'interpreted' version. I've been putting off finishing this lesson because I'm enjoying this little piece so much.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:45 am

It sounds like you altered some of the La Tete Bizarde eighth notes to a dotted eighth - sixteenth rhythm.
Interesting. I guess you are probably right, I wasn't aware of it. I remember what Jean-François said about the metronome but I think that if I am doing as you say, I should at least be aware of it. A metronome would surely help. I usually end up finding it very difficult to sync with it. Probably just a question of practice. Okay, I'll keep trying.
I wonder what our philosophy ought to be at this point. I could sure use some input from the more advanced students on this.
I try to play things as literally as possible.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am

This is an interesting discussion - I like Bob's idea:
I'm tempted to record a straight version and also an 'interpreted' version.
because it ensures that any technical difficulties don't become an underlying reason for an impromptu rallentando :wink:
(I'm feeling guilty :oops: )

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 am

Well, this is way too late but I finally figured out to upload these files - I hope,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:00 pm

A minor makeup submission to comply with the requirements for taking the D01 exam.

(Can reasonably be ignored.)

[media]https://youtu.be/eS-gm_9xgzs[/media]

PaulSClevenger

Post by PaulSClevenger » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Here are my attempts at the Lesson 2 submissions. I had to work a long time to get the i,p,m and m,p,i alternating. Please let me know if I am doing that well or not.

Thanks,
Paul

[media]https://youtu.be/az3mGI-ZPnU[/media] [media]https://youtu.be/sWNYrvT8Y-w[/media] [media]https://youtu.be/bRKHTNBqIng[/media] [media]https://youtu.be/AgqMSABNfew[/media]

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Looks pretty good Paul. Sometimes I still forget to alternate, especially when I'm learning a new piece and concentrating on the score. (They aren't always scored out.) Your sound is clean, even at a good tempo. You're hitting the frets right behind the fretwire, that's good. Try to keep that left thumb from creeping around the neck too much. It's not exaggerated, like some I've seen, but could be a little better. Think of trying to keep it touching your 2nd or 3rd finger, only the neck is in the way. Also, your RH moves a bit much on your thumb strokes. Try to make just the thumb move. Minimize excess motions. This will help later on. Good job!
Last edited by Scott_NyLonChaney on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulSClevenger

Post by PaulSClevenger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks Scott! I will continue to work on keeping that LH thumb from peeking out. The RH thumb motion is difficult for me, but I'm sure that if i am more conscious of the motion, I will be able to minimize it.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”