D02 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: D02 Lesson 2

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:38 pm

I have added my right hand fingering to this section Bars 41 to 43.
I use m a rather than m i a couple of times to avoid reaching i over to the second string.
Richard, I like that you are using your own fingering to perform these exercises. Personally I think it's ok to use some of our own fingerings if it makes it easier to play the pieces, unless there are some reasons that would make it better to use the suggested fingerings. such as developing finger independance. I know that in measure 38 of Malaguena I use left hand fngers 2,3,4 to play the notes(Am) so that finger 1 is ready for the next measure to play the f. It just seems more logical to me and at higher speeds will be easier to perform.

I have also tried to use the metronome to play these exercises and find it harder than tapping my foot,(probably a bad habit, but helpful for internal rythm).It tends to throw me off and I lose concentration. I have been counting out loud and am nearly confident to post my first attempts.
Jack

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:46 am

Ned H. wrote:Here is my attempt at Malaguena. It has taken a couple of days to work out the technical aspects of getting it online so I hope this works.
I broke a nail a couple of weeks ago and so I am playing it with fingertips. I too have not mastered the art of counting in a steady rhythm while playing yet, I notice that my counting tends to follow the wandering rhythm of the guitar playing rather than vice versa...maybe I have to learn to slow down the counting and go back to basics...
Hi Ned, Well done on your recording and performance. This is not particularly original advice, but I think this piece is a good example of the need to focus on the trickier bars. For me, bars 37-44 should be in yellow and I have to resist the urge to play the piece from start to finish and just concentrate on these and the other yellow sections. I need to use a metronome to find out what tempo I can play the hardest section and then use that tempo for the whole piece. I then need to learn how to count throughout the piece instead of using a metronome! - Stewart

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Dear Stewart, thanks for your comments on my playing and indeed thanks to all of you who have offered some advice and suggestions here. I have been noticing that there is a lot to improve in my position...I have been using books and dictionaries and stuff instead of a footstool and it really doesn't do justice to the playing position, I notice that I do hold too much tension in the right calf and foot and Jeremy's thoughts in this were helpful to me. I will go out and buy at proper footstool, or order one online. Then it seems the head of the guitar is a bit low and I find my thumb creeping up around the back of the neck of the guitar; it is a familiar lazy default position for many of us who have played a lot of folk and contemporary stuff on the guitar...but it restricts freedom of movement in the left hand.

I am hoping to put the next practice on the forum as a video recording but I have a Mac and therefore Quicktime software/mov files. I wonder if anyone knows how to post those for this forum or can direct me to advice on it (I did try the Google advanced search for the forum but haven't struck gold yet!)

I appreciated watching your practice Stewart, your playing looked good and steady to me.

Well, time for me to practice. Arriverderci.

Ned H.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Ned H. wrote:I am hoping to put the next practice on the forum as a video recording but I have a Mac and therefore Quicktime software/mov files. I wonder if anyone knows how to post those for this forum or can direct me to advice on it (I did try the Google advanced search for the forum but haven't struck gold yet!)
Hi Ned, Have you thought about using Youtube? I hadn't used it before now, but it's easy to create an account and upload your files. Personally I disable any comments on the Youtube site as I'm only interested in the views of the forum members here. It's easy to check that it looks OK on Youtube, then all you need to do is double-click on the Youtube button here and then put the Youtube code (the bit after the = sign in the Youtube URL) between the tags. It's probably better explained here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=49794

Stewart

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:46 pm

I know that in measure 38 of Malaguena I use left hand fngers 2,3,4 to play the notes(Am) so that finger 1 is ready for the next measure to play the f. It just seems more logical to me and at higher speeds will be easier to perform.
Yes, I agree this is an easier fingering. At the moment i'm trying both options but the swapping of the second finger does slow things up and the 234 fingering feels more natural.

I don't use a metronome as I find it as off putting as recording the video. I certainly don't think foot tapping is "a bad habit" it show connection with the music. I tend to start slow and speed up during the bass melody. This tends to leave me flying a little fast into the difficult eight note bars 37-44 so i am trying to get this in check. Then back to tempo for the end.

I love the malaguena it's proper sword fighting music! :D

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:08 am

I love the malaguena it's proper sword fighting music!
Or bullfighting!

I've been playing a different version of Malaguena for a while. A little longer and harder version that alternates i and m and has some tremolo that I've not been able to get really good at. I have loved playing Malaguena and I think it is a nice repertoire piece as people like it, so I really hope to get good at it and memorize it. I too need to slow down a bit so that measures 37-44 are at the right tempo.
Jack

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:27 am

Here is my first version of Malaguena. This version does not have me counting out loud. I have not made a succesful recording yet with me counting out loud, though I plan on posting a video of this and I will count that out loud.
Jack
Malaguena1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:42 am

Wow!

I'll struggle to play it error free like that. It sounds really good.

(PS Your recording is nice and clear. What mic do you use?)

Cy Pawsey

Post by Cy Pawsey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Jack - thanks for uploading this.... it's now on my mac in iTunes. I'm also interested in your recording setup - please can you explain? Regards Cy

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Jack Jarrett wrote:Here is my first version of Malaguena. This version does not have me counting out loud. I have not made a succesful recording yet with me counting out loud, though I plan on posting a video of this and I will count that out loud.
Jack
Malaguena1.mp3
Hi Jack, You must be delighted with that! It sounds very assured and with a strong pulse throughout, including the trickier sections. I like the final rasgueado (if that's the right term) too. I'm not sure if I will manage a version counting out loud and if I can play it as well as you do I'll want a version without the counting anyway! - Stewart

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Jack, that rendition was really excellent, it really sang out and you sounded clear and confident all the way through the piece. If you can manage that without counting, I am not sure why you would want to count...

Stewart, thanks for the suggestion about Youtube, I will give that a try sometime soon and see how it goes.

Ned H.

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:18 am

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I spent a lot of time working on that. I went ahead and made a video of counting today, not as nice, but mostly for practice to upload and get things working right with the camera and setup.

I used the the Edirol 09HR to record that mp3, but I bet similar results could be had from a decent condensing mic and your computer.It does record in stereo so you would have to use Audacity to add a second layer.I would suggest reading the threads on the recording section of the forum, which is where I got my information on what to use.

Here's my vid.[media]https://youtu.be/6XGIesat5-4[/media]

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Well done again Jack, you do look very relaxed and your fingering looks very secure too - I find that when I'm counting I start (badly) singing the counting, usually ending up in an awful falsetto until I drop an octave. It sounds as though you are tempted to do something slightly similar but keep it in check well. I will keep trying with the counting, after all, that is what our teacher asked of us.
Stewart

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Jack,
That was excellent!

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks,
I'm still waiting for other posters. I really love looking at all the uploads. Everyone must be practicing diligently for the final submissions.I was beginning to think everyone dropped out!
Jack

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”