D02 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stewart Doyle

Re: D02 Lesson 2

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi everyone, at least I hope there's still plenty of people taking these lessons and doing justice to the considerable effort involved in creating them. I still haven't managed to count throughout the piece, but this version of Malaguena does start with some. I've worked on the later sections, but there's still a few mistakes. I've also tried to notice when I haven't alternated, thanks to Richard for spotting that. I do find it hard to stick to certain right hand fingering under the 'pressure' of recording. I guess the answer is to play it slow enough to ensure consistent fingering and then gradually bring it back to speed. Thanks again to M. Delcamp for the lessons and to my fellow students for the help and encouragement.

Stewart

Malaguena (with some counting!)
[media]https://youtu.be/hp8EQb3qC08[/media]

quavers

Post by quavers » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:42 am

I am very pleased that I have an opportunity to re-learn some of the very basic things that have been holding me back. I recently began working with a teacher who made very careful observations of both my left and right hands. Needless to say, these very simple exercises are extremely important. I used to find them extremely boring. I have new appreciation and have observed the lessening of tension.

Between the valuable lessons you are giving and the private instructor I am now studying with I can only expect to grow by leaps and bounds.

The videos are great and provide real reinforcement of the techniques that my teacher is trying to impart.

:bravo:

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:42 am

Stewart
Well done! Very clean and clear. I didn't notice any missed notes or even near misses, and that shows how you really are getting this piece nailed. I really liked your camera angle. It is very easy to see what your fingers are doing.I will have to incorporate that angle on my future videos.

These lessons have been a great opportunity and I love the pressure of having a clear goal, a time frame to achieve it, and the videos to allow us to come out of our own little guitar world and see others and how they are approaching the same obstacles. It allows us the chance to see other ideas and creative ways of expressing the same music.It makes learning fun.

Thanks for sharing and participating.
Jack

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:11 pm

Well done Stewart, it was good to hear how your playing of Malaguena is coming on. You have a clear steady rhythm through most of the piece and have certainly speeded up since your first attempt. I often have difficulty with bars 38 onwards, maintaining a steady tempo and full clarity of right hand plucking the strings. I thought there was a slight fluffiness in one or two places here in your rendition. But I am being picky, overall it is excellent. Keep up the good work.I am hoping other students will post their attempts too.
Meanwhile I have to confess to being distracted. In addition to M. Delcamp's lesson I have also been practising one or two other pieces, including the Tarrega study in E minor. I am not sure if this is a good thing or whether our teacher would see that as a distraction, taking me away from repeating the lesson pieces often enough.

Ned H.

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:53 pm

I have to confess to being distracted. In addition to M. Delcamp's lesson I have also been practising one or two other pieces, including the Tarrega study in E minor. I am not sure if this is a good thing or whether our teacher would see that as a distraction, taking me away from repeating the lesson pieces often enough.
Ned
I practice what we are doing here on these lessons, but I practice a lot of other stuff. I do admit I am a little obsessed with cg and can play, when time permits, for a couple of hours in a day or more. I would be bored to tears playing only those few lessons posted here. I think these are great though for learning to slow down, practice technical work and such. And the couple of times I have taken lessons my teachers were ok with that approach.
Jack

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:55 am

I wish I had more time and am a bit concerned that these lessons are all that I am doing. I was hoping to get my recordings done at the weekend but "things" have conspired against me.
Although I can play all the constituent parts I am still struggling to get to play through cleanly.

Gregory Martell

Post by Gregory Martell » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:17 pm

RichardJ wrote:I wish I had more time and am a bit concerned that these lessons are all that I am doing. I was hoping to get my recordings done at the weekend but "things" have conspired against me.
Although I can play all the constituent parts I am still struggling to get to play through cleanly.
I am in the same boat. I figure there is no point in posting a video that is full of stops and starts. I also have been playing other things. I would say they are easier than the material in the D02 group but harder than the material in the D01 group.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks for the comments - there are definitely some fluffed notes but I think the later sections are a bit more secure than before.

Like Jack, and hopefully others, I'm really enjoying the challenge of the exercises and the pieces and can't wait to see what's coming tomorrow. For me, the lessons are giving me the same motivation I had with a 'real' teacher. I really should submit a single take of a recording to more closely replicate performing in front of a teacher, but it would be a painful thing to do and even more painful to watch! Just one final thought (probably for the next lesson), perhaps people could submit videos/mp3s of the (two) exercises asked for instead of, or while still trying to record the piece?

Best wishes,

Stewart

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:32 pm

So, opened up this lesson with zealous intentions...it hasn't been a complete failure but I certainly have not been practicing the way I wanted to. I've been doing a lot of "starting at the beginning and playing to the end." Perhaps this is an ok way to practice but I still want to give M. Delcamp's schedule an honest try. One thing I've noticed is that my own personal "highlighted" (difficult) sections are a little different than his. So I pulled out my own highlighter and marked up the music. Nonetheless I found it hard to stay focused on doing even a few perfect repetitions of a couple measures.

I also apologize for being completely "absent" so far--I've had finals but I'm on break now.

Here are my posts--as always suggestions are welcome.
[media]https://youtu.be/1m2_if1ftYc[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/e-5W8NhbSEw[/media]

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Michael, that was great! You have real control and your tone changes to add color was very well executed. Nice how you moved your hand position to change the sound of the notes.

And Stewart, I am guilty of going right for the hardest piece and posting that without the other exercises. So here are my mp3s of those missing lessons.
Delcamp Lessons 40,6 & 7.mp3
Even though this was not asked to be uploaded, I found it a very challenging counting lesson, so here is Sor Op60 Lesson IV, complete with obvious mistakes. Did anyone else find this to be a difficult exercise?(Since it was part of our DO2 lessons, I thought it would be ok to upload.)
Sor Op 60 lesson IV.mp3
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi Michael, I'm pleased you're still on the D02 course - your performances demonstrate a relaxed control I aspire to and I also remember some excellent feedback you've provided. I suspect your natural level is somewhat above D02 (as I think mine was about 8 years ago) but perhaps you are finding a challenge in some of the exercises and pieces?
Hi Jack, I must admit I initially struggled with the Sor with counting, particulary the suggested way. I was cheating with a style of counting where you use 1,2,3 but with 'ands' for half beats and 'ers' for quarter beats - if that makes any sense. I also found I was 'singing' the counting. When I realised we didn't need to submit the Sor I was rather relieved. I do have a bit of a problem with sight-reading rhythms if I haven't heard the piece so it's the type of exercise I really need to do. Thanks for uploading your version - I think I got the piece to about the same level, but fluffed some different notes! :) It was your Malaguena though that inspired me to work harder, so thanks again for that.

Stewart

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:27 am

HI Michael,
That was very good. I enjoyed listening to it.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:03 am

:( + ♫ = :)

RossStep

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 2

Post by RossStep » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:38 pm

I learned a lot from this lesson. Still struggling with the fingering on bars 37-39 on Malaguena, #3 is a little slow. I'll come back to it again to bring the tempo up.
Ross
[media]https://youtu.be/RhzheZCp-8A[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/w_19uJRpPVo[/media]

Charis

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 2

Post by Charis » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 pm

Really well played, Ross. Nice and clear sound and confident playing. If you manage it in a bit higher tempo it will be just beautiful.

Charis

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”