D03 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 2

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:46 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D03 that I updated today.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
In these right hand exercises, you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes).

- page 102 ex. 51 to 55.
Exercises 51 to 54 are for the fingers of the right hand. The (x) sign indicates that the right hand finger is resting on the string (and damping it). Exercise 55 is for the left hand: lean the left hand finger over to damp the adjacent string at the same time as you play the new note.

- page 87 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) EXTENSIONS
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

- page 65 Mattéo CARCASSI (1792-1853) VALSE opus 59
The first 8 bar phrase is made up of short elements, it is fragmented. The second 8 bar phrase is all one block, and therefore forms a contrast with the first phrase. The third phrase repeats the first. The fourth phrase is a synthesis of the first two phrases, it is made up of two elements of 4 bars each.

- page 50 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) EXERCICE II opus 35
Sing one voice and play the other. Find the best places to breathe while you are singing.

In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e 5 e 6 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6" in English)

Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.

When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

I recommend that you read these two pieces, very similar to the one we've just been studying:
- page 48 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) VALSE n°1 opus 51
- page 64 Mattéo CARCASSI (1792-1853) ALLEGRETTO opus 59

I advise you to work on all the exercises and both pieces for one week. From December 14th, please record and post your recordings on the forum for exercises number 9 on page 87 and number 54 on page 102, as well as for the VALSE on page 65.

The work I'm asking of you is difficult and requires you to be both organized and disciplined. It is certain that you will struggle to get your fingers to perform the exact movements required for the exercises. In order to succeed in this, you need to make the same movements several dozen times daily. The goal of these exercises is to strengthen and stretch your finger muscles, to make your fingers stronger and more agile. Put in plenty of work, every day, on the difficult parts, focus on them and play the easy parts only occasionally.
To get the best out of your practice time, split it up into 15 minute sessions, and leave your hands to rest for at least 30 minutes between sessions. If your hands hurt, leave them to rest for an hour, the time it takes your body to eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, which is the main cause of muscle pain.

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Irene Tirtajana

Re: D03 Lesson 2

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Yay, new lesson! I'm so excited because I just got a new guitar - a replacement for my twenty-dollar fifteen-year-old guitar.

Figured out it's better to practise without the printed out scores. Since my computer screen is small, I won't be 'tempted' to play the whole piece but have to concentrate on the difficult parts. Let's see how this works.

Btw I've just realised my recording of Morlaye's Gaillarde has 2 false starts that I forgot to edit out! Duh.

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:28 am

it´s Yoga for our fingers!!

I´m trying to get organized so I actually got a notebook to keep handy at every session. Keep track of things, design a few work out routines...I guess we´ll see how that works too :)

Merci Monsieur Delcamp!

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:45 pm

This has been a very difficult week for me to find practice time; I have a big (vocal) musical event on Sunday and there have been many extra rehearsals for that, also play electric guitar in a band for Sunday that is also doing extra rehearsals. Also I am very close to finishing my third guitar, so I made some time for this (trying to get the right angle planed on the fretboard, not quite there yet).

I have managed to practice some each day, but have not been able to maintain alternating 15 minute days and 45 minute days - the 45 minutes have turned into more like a half and hour or 20 minutes. Last night I got back from band practice (after squeezing in 20 minutes classical guitar practice before I left) and ended up grabbing my small guitar (a 640 mm 1940's Telesforo Julve - cheap but nice tone, and easy to play while sitting in bed watching TV with my wife!) and played through some Sor and Tarrega and a few other things. Since I have been trying to be serious about these lessons I have done very little of this sort of "fun" playing - last night it was all I could manage, and I really enjoyed it. Also I seemed to be playing those pieces better than I usually do, so I think these lessons are paying off already.

My thought is to really devote myself to this course until it is done in June, and then go back to my casual "for fun" playing for maybe a few months. I probably spent more time on the "fun" playing when this was all I was doing, but it was not focused like what we're doing here.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:21 pm

One thing that has helped my relaxation and sitting and playing position is keeping my right foot (on the leg that is NOT supporting the guitar) flat on the floor, as opposed to up on its toe. This lowers my right leg just enough to support the end of the guitar better so it doesn't slide out of position, and it also changes the neck angle to be a little higher at the peg head. Also, having the foot flat takes away a lot of tension. I had been aware for a long time that I tended to transfer tension from the music to my right foot for some reason, don't know if the foot position was the cause but it's much better with it flat.

I think I ran across this by accident in a Laurindo Almeida method book I saw in the library.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:43 pm

hi everyone!

this week I wrote my workout routine the night before and looked something like this.

started with a 5 minute warm up by practicing something I already know from lesson like Andantino or Marazula for instance. Then at the end of the warm up included 1 set of the new extensions excercise. Then the obvious, rest for a couple of minutes. I´m also studying Sagreras book # 2 for sight reading so this is a sample of a work out routine I used this week.

1 Warm up.
Sagreras book 2 #8 1 time
Sagreras book 2 #9 ¨ ¨
1 set Extensions
3-5 minute resting time

2. Mattéo Carcassi Valse opus 59
phrase 1 3 times
phrase 2 ¨ ¨
phrase 4 ¨ ¨
1 set of extensions
3-5 min resting time

3. Bonus piece I also downloaded from this forum.
phrase 1 2 times
phrase 2 ¨ ¨
2 sets of extensions

End of workout

I will let you know what my bonus piece is once I have completed it. I was only able to do this because I wrote it down on a piece of paper before,and I think is working for me very well so far. I hope this helps any of you trying to find your own study system. Today I did my 15 minutes in the morning ´cause its Mojito time at my friends B-day party tonight!! cheers!!

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Hello All,

Here are two of the exercises. The extension exersice was very straining on the left hand, but it got better after a week of doing it.

[media]https://youtu.be/BDqAZ3afs0k[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/aKxya7FqI6o[/media]

The Sor exercise I have already been playing, so I tried to get it to sound better than I usually play it.

[media]https://youtu.be/N3JJWhPg7Dg[/media]

For the Carcassi valse, I had some trouble moving betweeen the repeats: using 8th notes and then having to switch to 16th notes and then back. This also made trying to get a good "take" more difficult.

[media]https://youtu.be/wdDE7E7A-8U[/media]

Thanks again for listening.

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Good job, Ric! Rhythmical and consistent work.

Some suggestions (not that I can do any better):

1. Sor's op 35 is a little too fast, I think. I tried to tap the rhtyhm on a metronome and got 176! Wow!

2. Carcassi's op 59 just need a little more practice with the chord changes at the middle segment (where the 1/16th notes are) and for the last segment I think you've been sounding a B note instead of a G. I'm referring to the 4th line last bar and 5th line 1st bar.

Just my 2 cents...

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 am

Hi all,
Here is my first two uploads: Exercise 9 page 87 and number 54 on page 102.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 pm

1st post for the two exercises... still a lot of mistakes but I have given up trying too hard to get a perfect 'take', seems to perform better that way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Ric,

Very cleanly and musically played. On the Sor Exercise I have been trying to connect the short note leading in to the long note (especially the bass note) on the many two-note phrases (like the first two notes of the piece, this rhythmic figure occurs over and over again). (Of course I still need to post my recording so who am I to talk!) Also, on the Carcassi I think there is a place near the end of the second section (the descending bass melody with the 16th notes above) where the bass note should be an A rather than a D.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Irene, very nice work on both pieces. Qadir, I can't play your files and the file size seems kind of small, did something go wrong with the upload?

Jeremy
Jeremy

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Jeremy Hickerson wrote:Qadir, I can't play your files and the file size seems kind of small, did something go wrong with the upload?

Jeremy
I'll try it again.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:32 am

Okay, here's my recordings for this lesson, on somewhat better equipment (but still cheap - 20 bucks for a "conference call" type PC microphone - with the web cam). The web cam resolution isn't great, it looks best with the browser window sized to take up about half the computer screen, not full screen.

The exercises are in this first video link followed by the Sor Exercice
[media]https://youtu.be/pgkVYXW6Y-Q[/media]

Here is the Carcassi Valse
[media]https://youtu.be/wbyvZ3BINBM[/media]
Jeremy

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:46 am

Excellent work on both pieces, Jeremy! The Carcassi is almost perfect, and I like your interpretation. Sor's piece could have a more consistent rhythm, I thought, but that could be a very personal thing.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”