D03 Classical guitar lesson 2

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Langvarig

Re: D03 Lesson 2

Post by Langvarig » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:59 am

Although I consider myself above level 3 it's really nice to be reminded of basic techniques. They tend to slip out of mind with years. Great idea with these online lessons.
Regards
John

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Thank you Irene, I agree about the rhythm in the Sor piece, particularly in the 2nd section. On the Carcassi, I actually did some other takes that I thought interpreted it better, but maybe because I was getting tired or sloppy I wasn't executing the the rising scale phrase after the echo in the 1st part very well, so I ended up using this take. I am amazed how much music can be found in these little pieces and how much room there is for improvement.

Langvarig, please feel free to lurk here and offer any comments or tips as you see fit!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Irene and Jeremy.

I'm going to take a much closer look at the music and figure out what notes I'm playing wrong. The chord changes did seem off to me as well, so I started practising with my metronome. I know I should have done this all along. :oops: Once I got used to playing with the metronome the Carcassi got much smoother. I'm on vacation now so I'll have plenty of time to polish things and review other postings.

Thanks for the input.

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Hello all,
Well here is my first attempt at this and there are a lots of mistakes. Playing in front of a camera is difficult but I'll keep trying to improve. I remember some else saying that it was hard to relax and I found that to be true.

[media]https://youtu.be/p935ERZxGYA[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/VzjdlKy04XA[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/949QLtR6LNs[/media]

I am planning to post again before lesson 3 is ready.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Ric,

The melody note Irene mentioned and the bass note I mentioned are the only things I noticed, everything else seemed right on. I played some wrong melody notes in mine also by accident, but posted it anyway!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Qadir, excellent tone production. You also have a very good internal sense of rhythm, you maintained it throughout the entire Carcassi Valse. Good musical sense of the melody also. Your right hand was quite steady with the movement just in the fingers, which is good - but it looked tense somehow, maybe let it hang in a relaxed way a little more?
Jeremy

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks Jeremy for your reply. Yes, I was tense but I think I can overcome this with practice; and I should be able to smooth out the entire piece.

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Irene,
I've just listened to your uploads and thought that they were both very good.

Leonardo Silva

Post by Leonardo Silva » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:58 pm

My try on Carcassi's op 59

[media]https://youtu.be/Q7eFRLZgcBc[/media]

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:12 am

Hi Leonardo
That was good. I noticed that you did not repeat the 1st and 2nd sections after playing the 3rd twice. I think the "D.C. al Fine" means to go back to the beginning and repeat the piece until you get to the word "Fine" at the end of the second section. Would some one else correct me if I am wrong.

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:11 am

hello everyone,

here are my Extensions and Carcassi Valse opus 59
[media]https://youtu.be/gkFWFIMSWwI[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/xAa7lTwonnY[/media]

please excuse the quality of the video I had to downsize it a lot because I was having trouble uploading the video as I usually do. Very frustrating!

Regarding the piece I would like to add that I tried playing phrase 1 forte or loud represented by letter f, phrase 2 & 3 mezzoforte or medium loud(mf) and the last one piano or soft (p) as indicated in the score. Also, is a good thing we are not doing figure skating or gymnastics, otherwise I´d be really injured right now with all the many ¨falls¨ it took to get it done

cheers!
Last edited by Julio Galindo on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi Qadir, thank you for your generous feedback.

Congratulations for putting up your first videos! The first time recording a piece to be put up here is the most nerve-wracking - will get easier with repeated 'exposures'.

Your rhythm and LH are good. But I also notice as Jeremy did that your RH is a little tense. I think it's too close to the strings also, and that's why it's difficult to hit one string only and you'd accidentally nudge the adjacent strings occasionally.

You might want to see the Ida Presti RH technique and read some of the posts people make. I find page 8 first post especially useful:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36445&start=105

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Julio, great recording of the Carcassi's Valse! I can hear the dynamic variations and they sound good.

Irene Tirtajana

Post by Irene Tirtajana » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Leonardo, good job with the Carcassi! You play very fast and accurately. Been playing for long?

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Julio, Both your youtube links are to the extensions. I did find the Waltz though and I thought it was great. Maybe get the 16th notes at the end of section C a little clearer. Most impressive that you played the extensions without a break, I would have to play up on the fretboard to do that.

Nice job everyone with posting so far, I've been extra busy the last week or so but I'll have some free time for recording soon.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”