D01 Classical guitar lesson 3

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:43 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D01 that I updated today.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: G major scale and C major scale, numbers 2 and 3. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Finally, we'll look at six simple tunes, pages 16 to 21
Anonyme : Scarborough fair

Anonyme : Ah vous dirai-je maman

Anonyme : Sur le pont d'Avignon

Anonyme : La bonne aventure

Patty & Mildred J. Hill : Good-morning to all

Anonyme : Lo, nous marchons sur un étroit chemin

Anonyme : La cucaracha

In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and" in English)
Using a metronome is useful, but it is only a temporary crutch to lean on. You will benefit far more by counting the beats out loud as you play than by using a metronome. Internalizing the rhythm allows us in time to achieve both freedom and discipline when playing, that is, to be a musician.
If counting the smallest values out loud seems difficult, or very difficult, to you, it only means that you have to persevere, or persevere a lot more. Keep at it with determination until it becomes easy and natural for you. When, after having practised it long enough, this exercise of counting out loud while you play becomes easy, then you don't need to bother with it any more.
When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

You can memorize different tempi (tempos) by mentally associating each one with a tune you have learnt by heart. Learn a suitable tune for each tempo. Begin with Good-morning to all (the same tune as Happy Birthday) for the tempo of 120 (beats per minute).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Exercise 3 on page 54
Scarborough fair
Good-morning to all
Anonyme : La cucaracha

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Linda

Re: D01 Lesson 3

Post by Linda » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:40 am

Merci beaucoup.

linda
linea

DarrenV

Post by DarrenV » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Hope everyone is doing well. I must admit that the holiday season and some required travel makes practice difficult, but we'll get there. On a more personal note, I want to put out a warning! Beware of "nail eating" zippers! Firstly, I've never been concerned about manicures, let alone my nails. Now, they're like gold. Long story short, one of my zippers (I'm sure it was a non-union shop made zipper) got the better of the left side of my index-finger nail. Itried to be creative in filing the gouge level with the rest of the nail, but it leaves the contact side a little short for proper plucking. Moral of the story, tame your zippers!

Darren

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Darren, you have my sympathy. I'm having trouble with cat scratches (more like cuts, actually) on the balls of the fingertips of my left hand, which are forcing me to adopt some workarounds for the fretting.

Marie-Cécile Satonet

Post by Marie-Cécile Satonet » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:42 am

I also have problems with cats' scratches...

I think it's time to start posting, isn't ? I find it harder this time. And I haven't even worked on the Cucaracha...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:50 am

Cecilia,

Your posted examples sound great. Your timing has really improved.

Welcome back everyone,

Chip

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:56 am

My video is still not working.
Next week I hope to rearrange my recording set-up and improve my overall sound quality. That way my guitar won't sound like a Dobro. :wink:

Here are my submissions thus far:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:53 am

All students please note, part of lesson 7, on improvization, has been published early to give you time to start familiarizing yourselves with the process. The lesson will remain visible but locked until it falls due.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=55240

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Marie-Cécile Satonet

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by Marie-Cécile Satonet » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks Chips !
Your "Scarborough Fair" sounds quite good to me :bravo:

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:04 am

Chip--I'm jealous! Particularly of that Scale no.3, which I find more difficult than any of the pieces.

Cecilia--Your playing is getting more even, as I would like mine to become. I can hear inwardly what I want, but I'm still needing extra time to place my fingers on the frets, particularly if damping is required.

One question for anyone who would like to reply: do you play primarily by reading from the score or from memory? I find that I can retain a visual memory of the score and even of the fretwork for a phrase or so at a time, but then I often lose time in getting to the next phrase.

Anyway, here's where I was yesterday evening:

Marie-Cécile Satonet

Post by Marie-Cécile Satonet » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Dear Penelope,
Thanks for the nice word. I assume it's only because "Scarborough Fair" and "Good Morning to all" are tunes I know well, that I play them more or less "fluently"...
I'll post my Cucaracha later tonight : I don't play it evenly at all....

Officially, I use the score to play, but, quite often, I don't bother to read it (and, suddenly, I'm lost,no longer knowing what comes next, and not knowing where I 'm on the score !!!

So don't worry, your playing just needs a bit of practice .Are you working the way JFD tells us to do ?

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:37 am

I always strive to keep my eyes on the score, reading about a measure ahead of what I am playing. When I accomplish this "pre-reading," I can anticipate what is coming next and be ready to move my fingers accordingly.

Notice that I wrote "strive"...

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:43 am

Yikes!. I lost my "i" fingernail yesterday. Playing like this is like trying to run with a rock in your shoe, it can be done, but not very comfortably.

The results:

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Everyone, Sorry for my absence but in a rush at my job I broke my thumb nail so low that I have not been able to touch anything let alone a guitar. I tried this morning and in another day or two I may be okay. I actually practiced the pieces prior to this setback so hopefully I can get something up before the next lesson. If it says the next lesson starts on the 11th does that mean we should post by the 10th? Thanks! Susan

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Wicked, isn't it, how so many of us are suffering physical setbacks just as we're poised for making quantum leaps ahead? Aside from the cat scratches I mentioned above, I split my left thumbnail vertically--for the first time in my life!--in September, as we were moving back into our house after having moved out during the summer for some renovations, and I was using some strong products to prepare the walls for repainting. One side, which kept catching on everything, broke off about a month ago and the part that was left is only now growing up to a point where it's stopped hurting and I can look forward to its covering the nail bed.
Susan, I think the ideal time to post the required passages is 7-10 days after the opening of the lesson, but we can post right up to the eve of the next lesson--as Cecilia and I did recently, adding some of the other pieces from the lesson. We'll look forward to hearing you again when you can play more comfortably.

Cecilia and Chip: thanks for disclosing your navigation techniques.

Cecilia, I've been practicing just about the way JFD has advised us, although I find that no matter how much I practice the tricky parts separately, I have to set them back into context--that is, play through the piece--in order to maintain a sense of continuity. Besides, I'm doing this for pleasure....which to me means making music, right from the start. I'd also like to be able to play from memory, which seems especially useful if we're going to be getting into improvisation.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”