D01 Classical guitar lesson 3

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
SusanGRas

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by SusanGRas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:03 am

Hi. Thanks Penelope. I will try to post something. My concern is initially I think it said if you didn't post then you were unsubscribed to the lessons. Also thanks for mentioning the improv section. I'm not really sure what we are to do with this. It won't let me click on anything. I see it says a certain number of views but it won't go anywhere when I click. Not quite sure what to do on it. Thanks! Susan

Chris NewVillage

Re: D01 Lesson 3

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:00 am

Cecilia wrote:I think it's time to start posting, isn't ?
Thanks for posting. Hang in there!

Chris NewVillage

Re: D01 Lesson 3

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 am

Chip_McCullough wrote:Here are my submissions thus far:
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:07 am

Penelope wrote:...for anyone who would like to reply: do you play primarily by reading from the score or from memory?:
I play from the score. I think it's more like a trigger/response thing. I don't have it memorized, i.e. can't play it without the score. Thank you for sharing. Keep it up!

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:11 am

Chip_McCullough wrote:Playing like this is like trying to run with a rock in your shoe.:
Sounds great. Thanks for sharing...

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:24 am

I didn't read the terms well, so I'm late. :oops: For what it's worth, I'm posting anyways.
[media]https://youtu.be/Zu-D5b5XfXo[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Ig3z7RoCQzc[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/jPRt8oCN3mQ[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/jB9qoMG6v1U[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/2q6Xac2iwyk[/media]

Chris NewVillage

Help! What microphone input do you all use?

Post by Chris NewVillage » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:31 pm

:?: I'm using an external Sony ECM-DS70P. It is taped to the guitar face. The benefit of this method is I don't have to merge the video and audio. Still, I'd like better audio quality than what it gives. If possible, something without merging audio & video. Maybe another brand? :?
I've decide to do the "merge audio with video" method. I ordered a SANYO ICR-FP700D Digital Stereo MP3 Voice Recorder for about $60 from A-m=a-z_o.n. I recently got a Logitech C310 HD Webcam for about $30, which I used for my latest yoo-tube posts. To merge the audio and video, I'll use Windows Live Movie Maker included on my netbook.
Last edited by Chris NewVillage on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:28 pm

The pieces sound good, Chris. I like the way you stabilize your right hand with your thumb: I know JFD mentioned doing so at the beginning of the lessons--that is, resting it on the fifth string in one of our first pieces--and I'm sure it makes for more secure placement of the other fingers. Working on it....

Erich List

Post by Erich List » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:04 am

I'm starting the lessons late and am having trouble with d01 1 but it's locked. I'm confused on reading the left hand notation on pg 7 sol la si do. I see the number 2 next to the A note but I don't understand how to play that? Which LH finger on which string on which fret then RH? What about the C with a 1 ? how do I play the numbers in circles below the bar 3 and 2? Sorry I'm off topic for this lesson, not sure where to ask this?

Thanks,
Erich

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:32 am

:) Hi Erich,
Erich List wrote:... the number 2 next to the A note but I don't understand how to play that? Which LH finger on which string on which fret then RH?
The number 2 = middle finger. The A note is on the second fret.
Erich List wrote:What about the C with a 1 ?
The number 1 = index finger. The C note is on the first fret.
Erich List wrote:how do I play the numbers in circles below the bar 3 and 2?
The numbers in the circles are the strings. With the guitar in playing position, counting from the bottom, 3 = G; 2 = B. The horizontal line extending from the right of the circle means play the indicated notes on the same string.

FYI: In the piece itself, the i and m letters below the notes indicate which right hand finger, i.e. index or middle finger.

Hope that helps.

Erich List

Post by Erich List » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:16 am

Thank you. With this info I was able to google the notes on the fret board map. I had no idea that a RH G with a LH on the 3rd string 2nd fret turned the G note into an A. I must have missed that page somewhere. Now I'm back on track.

Thanks,
Erich

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:56 pm

My attempt at La Cucaracha
[media]https://youtu.be/naOFpEAoLS4[/media]

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 pm

I am feeling less than adequate having failed to successfully post the requested songs because of my lack of knowledge on recording and posting. Now we are in our winter "going south" mode and I will be offline for about a month. How to survive without the computer? But, I have been doing the exercises and will continue in early February.

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:50 pm

On reading the score or playing from memory, at this stage I am playing from the score. Luckily I can read music fairly well having played a lot of trumpet many years ago. I am finding the more I play a piece that I am actually reading ahead of where I am playing and, in some cases the piece is getting logged into memory. because of my age and a slight tremor in the hands I am concentrating on accurate picking and am content to let the memory come along at its own speed. Of course at the age of 69 whatever one can remember is a bonus. The lessons are extremely well planned and have allowed me to slowly expand my fingering and my reading ability. So, many thanks to all who have worked to put together this excellent course.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Chip_McCullough wrote:My attempt at La Cucaracha
Nice! Thanks for sharing... :D

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”