D02 Classical guitar lesson 3

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 am

No, you'd missed out a couple of square brackets.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks Geoff.
I got the experience just after I needed it!

Ned H.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:22 am

Ned H. wrote: I got the experience just after I needed it!
:lol: Isn't that always the way? :wink:

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:16 am

Well done Ned. I'm also still a little nervous around the camera.
Here's my version of Atoye. This one is take 5 not counting false starts!

It's difficult to see at this angle but I am taking Stewarts advice and keeping my RH thumb anchored on the bass strings much more. Thanks Stewart this does feel more stable.
(I'm looking into why there is such a large delay in the sound.)

[media]https://youtu.be/eOPRBqB2e4M[/media]

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Hey Richard, your playing looked very steady although the video was a bit indistinct and blurry... looks like the right hand is under good control, which I find very difficult with the rest stroke.
Well done.

Ned H.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Just a thought about right hand "anchor" fingers. Frequently the thumb works good for this. I think I got this from the Segovia method book, but I try to keep my thumb 2 strings away from where ima are playing in a run, i.e. if ima are playing on the G string then the thumb would be on the A string, if ima move to the B string then the thumb moves to the D string, etc. This only works if the thumb isn't playing anything and the string the thumb rests on isn't being played by another finger - but quite often it can be done. Sometimes if the thumb is playing the run, then something like the "a" finger can be used as the anchor. It's not always possible or necessary, but there are times when it really helps hand stability.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Hello,

This is my first uploading. Hope it comes out OK.
Thank you for listening and comments in advance. One thing I can tell for sure is that my play here does not have any musical dyanamic. I was concentrating so much in playing right notes, yes making a few mistakes.

[media]https://youtu.be/fXivVbuZsUU[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/95w1FUGeS2c[/media]
Last edited by Duk Lee on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 am

Welcome to these lessons Duk. I enjoyed your uploads and hope to see more of them in the future.
Duk Lee wrote: One thing I can tell for sure is that my play here does not have any musical dyanamic. I was concentrating so much in playing right notes, yes making a few mistakes.
Despite this I thought you were still able to convey some musical dynamics. It seems to come naturally to you.

You might want to try Atoye with rest strokes or "apoyando." While I enjoyed the lightness of your version, I think you'll find that playing this apoyando offers some unique challenges. (I also really liked your ornamentation.)

I also enjoyed your version of Soleares.

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Michael,

Thank you so much for your suggestion and encouragement. I will definitely try Atoye with Apoyando.
I really enjoyed your Atoye and Soleares, by the way.

-duk

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello Ned,

Thank you for uploading your play. I enjoyed it.
I observed that you have used your fingering ppim where pima is suggested. That is similar to what I do: I use ppma where pima is suggested, simply because my right index finger i is not cooperating with other fingers well. In fact, I can't use i finger very well due to a trigger finger symtom.
I just wonder if you are having a similar symtom at a particular finger and if so, what do you do to improve your right hand finger movement?
Thank you for being a friend here.

-duk

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Welcome to Ned and Duk and thanks for uploading your videos.
Ned, I know what you mean by 'camera shy'. I've also found that I have a bad habit of playing a piece without the proper guitar support or footstool. Just as I think it sounds ready, I then sit properly with a guitar support for the recording and unsurprisingly, find I fall apart! The answer of course is to force myself to practice and play with the support all the time. One other thought Ned, I know M. Delcamp likes to encourage counting, but I think a metronome would have been useful for your Soleares. It might also help by making the recording feel like an exercise rather than a performance and hence reduce the 'pressure'?
Duk, I've put some dynamics in my versions below, but I'd prefer to have your mastery of the notes. I'm sure you could add some dynamic contrast with ease.
I hope you, and others, might find something within my own self-criticism and thoughts useful. As far as possible I've tried to limit my playing to exercises within the lessons and, prompted by Michael, to look again at some of the exercises from the earlier lessons. For me, the exercises n1,n2 from p26 D01 and particularly n15,n16 from p58 D01 expose limitations of my technique and my reliance on the free stroke. Forcing the thumb to rest on the second string in n16 is quite a challenge.
I wouldn't say my right hand security has improved a great deal in the last week or so, but I think it perhaps looks a bit better in my second (partial) version of Soleares below. [I only intended to play up to Falseta 4, but apologies anyway to M. Delcamp for not posting a full version this time.]
I've still not mastered the damping in either piece and in A Toye, I really should have decided what ornamentation I was going to use rather than just 'winging it'! But here are my new (slightly) improved versions....
I hope to see you all in Lesson 4 - Stewart

A Toye
[media]https://youtu.be/h5gZXi1f-KQ[/media]

Soleares (partial)
[media]https://youtu.be/Rn4J2MZ2OOg[/media]

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Hello Duk

I am glad you have joined us and uploaded your practice. Your left hand technique looked good and smooth and I enjoyed listening to you play. Your tempo is very steady and I could hear the music in your playing even if you were concentrating more on the technique. I agree with Michael that it is a good idea to try A Toye with apoyando. I find the right hand technique for this quite challenging, I am still working on it but it does offer new possibilities in terms of bringing out the melody.
You asked about my right hand. The fact is that I have got into some lazy habits because my a finger is slower and less co-ordinated than the other fingers. It really needs more use, not less, but I sometimes forget and slip into old habits. I a not an expert on this but I think the simple answer is probably to practice more.
I have no personal experience of trigger finger but other guitarists in this forum have written about it. I suggest you do an advanced Google search of Delcamp Forum. If you don't know how to do it, I recommend going to the first group on the Delcamp Board Index "How to Participate in the Delcamp Guitar Forum" where Hans has posted a link to the Google page - you just type in trigger finger and a number of references will come up.
Good luck.

Ned H.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi Stewart

Good to see your second video, your playing sounds good and it brings the flamenco feel of the piece to life. I wonder if you are pushing yourself a bit to try and get the piece up to speed though. This is something I often tend to do...to concentrate on getting the piece up to tempo, thereby sacrificing quality of technique. At present I am trying to let myself slow down even though the piece loses musicality, in order to focus on technique. I can't say I have achieved great success in this but it seems to be the only way of tackling some of the lazy habits I have built up.
I appreciate your advice about the metronome. I have been trying to improve the timing in Soleares because I do tend to wander about in tempo. I too keep going back to earlier lessons to improve my rest stroke but I think it is going to take me a while, it seems to throw my whole right hand out when I do it. I get the feeling I am trying too hard with it but haven't figured out how to go at it more gently. However just once in a blue moon I have a practice session where it seems to go a little better. Anyway on with the practice, looking forward to sharing thoughts about the next lesson too.

Ned H.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:24 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/d-_t9irvVR0[/media]

Dear All

One more attempt at Soleares. Hope it is an improvement on the first, any comments appreciated.

Ned H.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Ned H. wrote:Hi Stewart

I wonder if you are pushing yourself a bit to try and get the piece up to speed though. This is something I often tend to do...to concentrate on getting the piece up to tempo, thereby sacrificing quality of technique. Ned H.
Hi Ned - You are absolutely right, I was going to mention this in my notes. I think I was conscious that my first version of Soleares was rather slow, but my second version was too fast and hence a bit out of control.
You seem much more confident in your second version. Looking at your thumb and wrist I think you might find some of the earlier comments about the right hand useful. Some of M. Delcamp's exercises mentioned are very useful for the right hand, once you get past any initial shock at the difficulty of something that looks so simple! In addition, although I haven't looked at all the videos that Michael recommended earlier, I do recall the idea that you should be able to visualize holding something (a tennis ball for instance) in your right hand. Best wishes, Stewart
Last edited by Stewart Doyle on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”