D02 Classical guitar lesson 3

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Duk Lee

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by Duk Lee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Hello Friends,

I do not know whether uploading other practice pieces is appropriate or not in this lesson forum, but I just wanted to hear from you for improving this particular piece. I am planning to play this in front many mathematicians (Students and Faculty) and extract mathematical aspects from the music.
Please let me know of your thoughts in anything. I messed up few spots in the middle and at the end. My son is already critisizing lack of emotion and dynamics.

My apology for poor dress code: This is lazy saturday morning.

Thanks.

-Duk

Mod note: Sorry, link removed for copyright reasons.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 pm

I do not know whether uploading other practice pieces is appropriate or not in this lesson forum
I was going to say no but actually found your playing a refreshing change from soleares. I love the way the bass stands out separate from the melody. This is what makes classical so special. It's like listening to two players in one.

Here's my final attempts at soleares. I'm posting two versions as I couldn't choose between them. I always start with the intention of doing several takes then posting the best. In fact my playing deteriorates with each take as I get more tense. I am my most negative critic.
I think I've had enough of this piece now, roll on Tuesday :)
I hope that at least one of these will be an improvement on my last effort.
[media]https://youtu.be/t2wIdZCkkos[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/pVDWB86ok2E[/media]

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Richard,

Both are definitely improvements from the last ones in my ears. I liked the second one better in terms of smooth flow and evenness of 8th notes.
You have very relaxed hand movements, especially in RH. Thank you.

-duk

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:51 am

Duk, lovely piece and nicely played. Is it an original?
Duk Lee wrote:I do not know whether uploading other practice pieces is appropriate or not in this lesson forum,
I don't know either, but I think that if you posted it on the "contemporary pieces for guitar" that it might open up even more possibility for feedback.
Duk Lee wrote: I just wanted to hear from you for improving this particular piece
It seems like there are three voices going on- a bass line, a melody and a middle line (thank you Captain Obvious!) The melody is nicely delineated from the bass-however the middle voice is sometimes not clearly distinguished from the melody. If this is what you're going for please disregard this message. Otherwise you might try just playing the melody alone a few times and then add the bass and middle voices.

Always a pleasure to hear you play, Michael

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:38 am

Hey Jack, I enjoyed your videos--you seemed confident and had a nice full sound.
Jack Jarrett wrote:Michael,
Thanks for the video on rest stroke.I think you were right on with your observations...And I can see my hand is not anchored and moving a lot.
In regard to keeping a "stable right hand position," I'm realizing that this is important mostly for apoyando sections (or pieces) where the thumb and fingers are playing simultaneously. So I think that your Atoye could benefit from a more stable right hand position. In Soleares however, after revisiting it a few times it seems to me that one must change right hand positions all the time! This is especially true if one is going for various tone colors.
Jack Jarrett wrote: I know I have let my nails get too long, and now wish I would have trimmed them before posting my video.Too much nail noise!
I think that it's possible to get a good sound with long nails, but this gets into the debate about nail length/size which is covered in other threads. Perhaps shape and smoothness have more to do with tone and nail noise. You mentioned "trimming" your nails. Perhaps that was just an expression, but I wouldn't suggest using nail clippers. A nail file and some fine grit sandpaper (1000 grit or more) is better for a good tone in my opinion! (once again, nail shape constitutes another exhaustive thread on this forum.)

Keep up the good playing, Michael

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:11 pm

lovely piece and nicely played. Is it an original?
Michael,

The Guitar piece "Canzone D'Amore" is composed by Maria Linnemann. It is published in her book "Suite for Lovers".
Thank you for your insights on the piece: Decomposing into melody, middle, and bass and practicing melody first and adding other voices.
Brilliant!

Everyone in this lesson forum,
As I thought more on posting other pieces in this lesson forum.... I am leaning more into "not appropriate". It may be a distraction.
Thank you, guys, for putting up with me. I would post other pieces at other forum from now on.

Thank you.

-Duk

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 am

Richard, I enjoyed both versions of your Soleares. Much improvement from your first version! You seemed comfortable and your right hand looks great. I thought the second version had more energy than the first version and if I have any criticism it would be to play with more volume.
RichardJ wrote:I always start with the intention of doing several takes then posting the best. In fact my playing deteriorates with each take as I get more tense.
I agree--my playing deteriorates after a couple of takes. Also I must fight my tendency to be obsessive whenever I have control of a recording device. I think that it's probably most effective in these lessons to practice as best one can, then record the first or second take and post it. I still haven't done this however...

See you in lesson 4! Michael

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:44 am

:bravo:
Well done Richard, your postings of Soleares sounded very good, and I agree with Michael and Duk that your right hand position, and your guitar position overall, looked excellent and very relaxed.
RichardJ wrote: I've had enough of this piece now, roll on Tuesday
Yes I feel the same. I have done this lesson till the last of the life blood has run out of it. it has been good for me though, through so much repetition I have noticed and begun to correct important details of my technique that I was not aware of during the first week or two of the practice. But I am looking forward to something new to play.

lisalrp

Post by lisalrp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Just want to say everyone sounds great and so encouraging. I am just starting this lesson and appreciate you all posting.

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Lisa,

Welcome to the class. Hope to hear your plays.

-duk

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm

lisalrp wrote:Just want to say everyone sounds great and so encouraging. I am just starting this lesson and appreciate you all posting.
Hi Lisa, glad to see you joining the lessons. Don't forget to register for the students' group in this topic. You can see the conditions for joining the course here.

Best wishes,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:44 pm

The extra lesson on ornamentation was really good, but I wasn't able to work it in on Atoye. I'll keep working on both tunes...so much to learn.
Ross

[media]https://youtu.be/IWkBzFN6t5A[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/rVEpr-ld6KA[/media]

Charis

Post by Charis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 am

Nice job Ross.
About Atoye I liked it and I don' t think that ornamentation is a problem even though without it the piece becomes a bit boring due to the repetitions of the same parts. Even this way, I' m not sure if I add any when I upload my video.
About the Soleares I liked it as well. You make a really good sound out of your guitar but you repeated some parts that you didn' t need to, I think. Maybe you should try damp some notes instead of waiting them to stop, like at the beginning of the 6th falseta. It will help the piece flow better, I believe.
Looking forward to your next recording for lesson 4, Ross.

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Charis,
Thanks for your comments. I think you're right on the damping. I tried to get the speed up and found it difficult to get everything going at once. I had several takes that were good in one section or another, but nothing that was satisfactory all the way through. Finally, I settled for good enough.
Ross

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 am

Here is the best I was able to manage after a few weeks of work. I found these two pieces really hard. I clearly don't have either completely under control -- my usual problems of not enough control over either the tempo or the tone. But I'll keep on tryin' :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”