D03 Classical guitar lesson 3

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:23 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D03 that I updated today.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 88, numbers 10, 11, 12 - Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following video corresponds to bars 5 to 9 of the scale of F major, number 10 on page 88. In this video example, I am playing slowly to make it easier for you to see my first finger sliding from position I to position V, then from position V to position X. In the descending scale, notice that I do the same thing in reverse. When I return from position X to position V, my first finger slides from one position to the other without ever leaving the string.

The following videos are for numbers 10, 11 and 12 on page 88. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

- Page 94, number 30, bar 2. Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
We have already worked on the rest stroke (apoyando) with the fingers of the right hand. Now we are going to work on doing a rest stroke with the fingers of the left hand. That is the best way to learn how to execute descending slurs. In number 30, bar 2, the fingers of the left hand execute the slurs with the help of the rest stroke. The fingers 4, 3, 2 and then 1 pluck the second string then finish their move by coming up against the first string. Place the left hand fingers vertically in relation to the fingerboard, that's the right position to play slurs.

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 11, 12, 34, 35 and 56.
- page 11 ANONYME (ca. 1600) GREENSLEEVES
In this piece, take care to hold the bass notes for their full duration, especially the C and G basses. In bars 16 and 24, as soon as you get to the second beat you can prepare the fourth finger which will be used for the top G of the following chord. You can see in the piece the Siciliana rhythm (dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver, or dotted eighth note, sixteenth note, eighth note). The piece consists of three sections, the third section being identical to the first, so it has an A-B-A structure, also called ternary form.

- page 12 ANONYME MARO PONTKALLEG
This piece consists of three sections, the third section being identical to the first, so it has an A-A-B-B-A'-A' structure, also called ternary form.
From bar 25 onwards, arpeggiate your chords slowly from bass to treble, organizing the rhythm in such a way that you finish the arpeggio with the top note on the beat.

- pages 34-35 TURLOUGH O'CAROLAN (1670-1738) BRIAN BORU'S MARCH
This piece consists of three sections, the third section being identical to the first, so it has an A-B-B-A structure, also called ternary form. You can see in the piece the Siciliana rhythm (dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver, or dotted eighth note, sixteenth note, eighth note).

- page 56 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) VALTZ
Take care to damp the bass notes properly from the second quaver (eighth note) of the bar. This piece consists of two sections which are repeated, so it has an A-A-B-B structure, also called binary form. You can make particularly good use of the repeat if you aim to give it a different feel each time. Thus you could play the B section in a non-conclusive fashion the first time round, and in a conclusive fashion the second time.

I advise you to work on all the exercises and the four pieces for a week. From January 11th, please record and upload your recordings of the following:
- page 88 number 10
- Page 94 number 30, bar 2
- page 11 ANONYME (ca. 1700) GREENSLEEVES
- page 56 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) VALTZ

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

RyanDG

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by RyanDG » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Thank you for another lesson!
but I would like to point out that the last video is not Paganini's VALTZ but BRIAN BORU'S MARCH.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Thank you, Ryan, for pointing that out. I've corrected it on M. Delcamp's behalf.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 am

Hello all,
Here is my first attempt at p88 number 10 and Greensleeves
[media]https://youtu.be/eroHf_75GbQ[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/htx7pz6PXyQ[/media]

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Qadir. Good job on Greensleeves. It's coming along nicely. You seem to hesitate at certain parts. Maybe your getting used to the finger changes ( I do the same thing when practinsing) and it looks like it is disrupting your timing. I tend to use a metronome which will help get past the finger changes. Set the metronome and then start switching the lefthand fingerings back and forth without playing the righthand. This will help build the muscle memory for the fingerings you might be having problems with.

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Thank Ric,
I'll try it.

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 am

Hello all,

Here's what I've been working on.

F Major scale
[media]https://youtu.be/hElDxS1KuGQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Greensleeves
[media]https://youtu.be/sswOMj6qk5o&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Very nice Ric. I am planning to post the other pieces this weekend. Are you and I the only people left on D03?

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Hello Qadir,

I guess we are the only ones left. I hope the others are just hard at work practising. This course has really helped my playing overall. I've been practising the way Mr. Delcamp recommends and it really focuses my practice sessions. I like having a "deadline" becuase it gives me a goal to work towards.

I'll be posting some more pieces towards the end of this week or weekend as well.

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:58 am

Are you and I the only people left on D03?
Nope. I have been too busy to get my recordings started just yet, although I am working on the pieces. Very good videos posted so far by both Ric and Qadir. Since Greensleeves is such a well known tune, I thought I would read up on it a bit and I found it has an interesting history. I first heard it as a Christmas Carol, but that is not it's origin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensleeves
The original lyrics: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Greensleeves

Of all the pieces we have for this lesson, I am enjoying the Maro Pontkalleg the most. Although I am struggling with the strums at the the end. Only strumming a few strings at a time is difficult. I have had better success with rolling the chords instead, but I'm trying to develop new skills, right?

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:01 am

Great Job Qadir and Ric!

plus you get the credit for turning them right on time you guys!

I guess i´d better hurry :lol: I have the F major scale , Greensleeves and Paganini´s Waltz ready. I´ve just had a crazy work schedule.

cheers!

Ric that was a very smooth scale by the way

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Greg and Julio!!! I'm very pleased to see you guys are still here. Thanks for the complements.

The information about Greensleeves was very interesting. I've always just played a CG piece but never really looked into the history of any of them. I think it's something I'll start to do, especially for my favorites.

Greg, when you say "rolling the chords" do you mean plucking each note of the chord with a different finger? This is how I've always played CG chords so strumming has been challenging

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:08 am

Hay guys...glad to see that Ric and I are not alone. Yea Julio, I guess I turned them in on time because old teachers never die :lol:

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 am

Greg, when you say "rolling the chords" do you mean plucking each note of the chord with a different finger?
Yes, pima for a 4 note chord, sequentially played. Of course, if the chord uses 5 or 6 strings, you would need to leave out an octave. My last instructor was very liberal with his interpretations and would frequently modify chords as written to suit him. Sometimes it was to make a difficult passage a little easier other times to make things sound more to his liking. One thing I have noticed in comparing transcriptions, they do vary quite a lot. I've been working on Schumann's Traumerei for a while, I cannot believe the variations that are out there, all quite recognizable! I play a couple of pieces where I use a soft flesh strum on only 2 strings. Doing this on 4 and 5 strings is more difficult. Mr. Delcamp is using his nail as well on that passage, to great effect, and I find that even more difficult to control. How are you doing on that particular passage?

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi everyone! :D I´m a student in the Spanish forum :) . I posted my videos for the 3rd course and plan to post the other not obligatory pieces. Like some of you write, I used to play chords in an arpeggio way "p i m a", for me it was a little bit complicated :x to play them with only one finger as Maestro Delcamp does :bravo: . After some practice it is not very complicated. Try it. :casque: :bye:
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”