D03 Classical guitar lesson 3

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 3

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:50 am

Whoops, I accidentally edited the slur exercise out of the "scales and slurs" youtube video; here it is (obviously I've got some work to do on this, I can't seem to keep my left-hand knuckles parallel to the strings until I get down to the lower strings, and I keep forgetting to do a "rest stroke" with the pull-off). By the way, I tried this new technique (for me) in another piece that has a hammer-on followed by a pull off, and it really helps - it has the effect of keeping my finger "down in" the string better so that hammer-on sounds louder, I think since I know I'll be keeping it down to do the rest stroke, this prevents me from stopping the motion early during the hammer and weakening it.

[media]https://youtu.be/ASPZUECJZj8[/media]
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 am

Ric,

The Valse was very sweet and beautiful, even w/out the damping. I didn't notice that damping was needed until right before I recorded it, so I hadn't been playing it that way either. But I do like the damping effect, although it is difficult. You were leaving out the note right before the g# at the end of the melody, I think it's an e (open high e string) right after the low E in the bass.

On the damping I was trying to connect the damp with the NEXT note so that it occurred right before the next note is played. Not the way I normally damp, usually I think of it as an extension of the played note that is now being damped. This makes the note duration a bit longer than an eighth note, but I felt that damping the other way was for me to short of a duration, and probably cheated the actual eighth note. But in the way I actually played it I didn't succeed in doing this longer duration all the time.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Thank you all for your comments!

Jeremy you did very good yourself too! I liked your musical expression on both Greensleeves and the Valse and the camera perspective you used too!

Ric, your Valse sounded good too like Jeremy pointed out about the damping. When you review your video look at your thumb swinging all the way down. You want your thumb to spring right back up after playing the note.

Thank you Greg for sharing your recording method and microphone specs.

see you all next lesson!

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:15 pm

On the damping I was trying to connect the damp with the NEXT note so that it occurred right before the next note is played.

The way I was looking at this was to damp the note at the same time as the attack on the next eighth note, as if I were to play the 2 strings together, but instead of playing simply resting the thumb.

All this damping is not new to me, but our esteemed instructor is utilizing this to an extent that I have not done. It certainly can be a little difficult, however it is paying dividends. I am learning a skill to play more musically and I think more importantly, the general control of my thumb is improving in my overall playing.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Greg,

I was trying the same technique as you suggest, maybe not playing the 2 strings together (which I think would be best) but making the damp the first part of the execution of playing the next eighth note. My success was intermittent, but that was the idea. If I get this down I think it would be good to try it simultaneous as you suggest.
Jeremy

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks everybody for the comments.

The damping seems harder initially but with practise I'm sure it'll come along. I started to pratise the Valtz with the damping and it does sound very different. I'm going to go back and examine the pieces I already know and see if damping is needed and if I've been ignoring it. Sadly my Brian Boru's March is not ready yet. I can play it but not steadily.

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 am

Great job everyone. I think we are all working hard and enjoying what we are doing--I am for sure. Perhaps there will be a D04 next year. I particularly enjoy variations of Greensleeves. I remember as a kid Robin Hood came on TV (black and white in those days) and the show's theme was Greensleeves...I enjoy it every time I hear it.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:07 pm

:( + ♫ = :)

Leonardo Silva

Post by Leonardo Silva » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 pm

With a little delay i'm posting the valtz. My tempo isn't quite good. I have to study it more. The damping stuff really is scaring me......... :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”