D01 Classical guitar lesson 4

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 4

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:23 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D01 that I updated today.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: G major scale and C major scale, numbers 4 and 5. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings.

Finally, we'll look at six simple tunes, pages 22 to 25
Anonyme : C'est la cloche du vieux manoir
Anonyme : Le coucou
Anonyme : Alouette, gentille alouette
Anonyme : Vent frais, vent du matin
Anonyme : Lundi matin
Anonyme : Cadet Rousselle

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

gregwillow

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 4

Post by gregwillow » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 am

Thank You Jean-François
I did not registration yet but I like to practice with Your lesson. It is very hard to learn by myself and Your video helps a lot.
Every time when I play I start with " Yesterday " or " Scarborough fair "[ Your arrangement].
Greetings Greg :D

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:23 am

Thank you Greg
Greetings Jean-François

Antonio

Post by Antonio » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Hello Professor Jean-François,
I started D01 lesson 1 yesterday and loved it. I closed my Noad book "Solo Guitar Playing" (pg87) and will study your technique. My cup is empty and I am starting a new page.

Thanks,
Antonio

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Antonio wrote:... and I am starting a new page...
:war:
Thanks Antonio

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:27 am

My contributions to this fine effort:

[media]https://youtu.be/vSUFvEsciXo[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/n32wRaJ1KbE[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/9yLkMSLElqc[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/2827slof6Kc[/media]

Thanks again to all of you, and especially Mr. Delcamp.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Sounds good so far, Chip. Good for you for breaking the silence! Those lower strings seem to demand more control than the higher strings, don't they?

I've been practicing regularly, but haven't yet felt ready to upload this week because I'm trying to straighten out a developing quirk in my left-hand fingering--that is, tending to use the first two fingers for everything, rather than matching them to the frets. My fourth finger (the littlest one, which I used long ago on the piano but haven't been using more recently, on the harp) seems almost too short....I hope it will loosen up in time.

Steven Lee Thornhill

Post by Steven Lee Thornhill » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:12 am

Great job Chip. I hopefully can upload in the next few days.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:04 am

Hey, Chip! Nice job. Looks good, too... Thanks for sharing. :bravo:

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:18 am

Hey, all! :D Hope you're all well AND have been practicing! Here are my recordings. As usual, critiques welcome. No YouTube this time. I used an mp3 recorder which requires me to join the video and mp3. I didn't spend time for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Like silk off a spool, Chris: your playing is smooth and poised as usual, and you manage to let up just the slightest bit between phrases, without really losing time. That works very well on the first two, and made me want to go right at those again today, rather than simply uploading the recordings I made late yesterday evening. But in the meantime the phone has rung, reminding me of other commitments, so I'm sticking with yesterday's versions for the moment....

Just one small comment on "Cadet Rousselle," and it's a subjective remark. I don't know the lyrics--certainly should look them up when I have a chance-- but the bounciness of the tune makes me think it should be played with more jauntiness and verve, even swagger. Even without exaggerated accents, JFD's recording at the beginning of this lesson made me think that this tune could easily pass for a Scotch-Irish-American folk song, of the kind I used to hear in upstate New York.

After your recordings, mine are going to sound downright eccentric. But anyway, here they are:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Penelope
Penelope wrote:Like silk off a spool, Chris: your playing is smooth and poised as usual, and you manage to let up just the slightest bit between phrases, without really losing time.
Glad you liked it!
Penelope wrote:...and made me want to go right at those again today, rather than simply uploading the recordings I made late yesterday evening.
I hope that doesn't make you too busy! :) Still, I feel dissatisfaction is a good thing for everyone.
Penelope wrote: But in the meantime the phone has rung, reminding me of other commitments, so I'm sticking with yesterday's versions for the moment....
Great... but don't forget to make a newer, better version! :wink:
Penelope wrote:...on "Cadet Rousselle," ...the bounciness of the tune makes me think it should be played with more jauntiness and verve, even swagger....JFD's recording...
:shock: I'm glad you mentioned this. I didn't listen to his recordings. :oops: Just looked at the pieces we had, then went at it. How dumb is that! :roll:
Penelope wrote:After your recordings, mine are going to sound downright eccentric.
Well, I think my Rousselle can chalk one up for eccentricity, don'tcha think? :mrgreen: :lol:

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Mebbe so--if you were thinking of it as a lullabye. If you'd like to hear it as a relentlessly spirited marching tune (with several or the French verses printed out as a bonus), here's a link:http://www.songsforteaching.com/french/ ... sselle.php

Now I've got to have another try.

Chip_McCullough

Post by Chip_McCullough » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 am

Thanks to everyone,

Keep at the fingering practice penelope. I am also having some issues, primarily with my Right Hand. MAybe a little more practice will set the muscle memory.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Left-hand fingering

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks for the spurring on, Chip; I've just finished a session where I worked on nothing but that. Good luck with your right-hand practice.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”