D02 Classical guitar lesson 4

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Richard Judge

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 4

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Well done Stewart and Jack

I'm sneaking in my efforts at the last minute again. Not the best camera angle for viewing my fingers. As always any comments gladly accepted. (don't hold back!) :D

E minor scale

[media]https://youtu.be/GOvW3UWpz2s[/media]

Arpeggi di tre Note

[media]https://youtu.be/MTsQkLicxDk[/media]

Carulli Valse

[media]https://youtu.be/rGTSMWaO4Vw[/media]

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Well played Jack. To me, you seem more relaxed and in control than I am, but we tend to be our own worst critics. I really like how much space your left hand and wrist seems to have - mine looks cramped in comparison. In addition, having fretted about my right hand position I suddenly noticed my left hand thumb sticking up from behind the fretboard on my previous posts. I think it's just laziness, but I think it's something I need to correct. Apologies for having a third posting of pieces, but I thought I would post the E version of the arpeggio and another attempt at the A version, but minus the errant thumb! - See you in lesson 5.....
Stewart

D02 p22 23 Carulli Arpeggi - variation E
[media]https://youtu.be/dA3XFd81kQA[/media]

D02 p22 23 Carulli Arpeggi - variation A (second attempt)
[media]https://youtu.be/hNSednAA-Lg[/media]

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 am

Once again Richard you've done well. Hard for me to find fault with your renditions.It's hard to see from the video if you are damping the strings as indicated, but from your confidence and great sound I would guess you have that under control. I say it's on to the next round for all of my fellow video posters!

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:16 am

Hey everyone, sorry to jump on at the end of the lesson. I've been quite busy with school stuff lately. I am often "all or nothing," and so I considered resigning from these lessons since I haven't been able to give 100%. But I came to my senses--I really enjoy this. Hopefully I can participate more next lesson!
[media]https://youtu.be/_4RRVFLTHC8[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/9gv-4TVR-vM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Y2atqtryrZs[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:14 am

Jack Jarrett wrote:Once again Richard you've done well. Hard for me to find fault with your renditions.It's hard to see from the video if you are damping the strings as indicated, but from your confidence and great sound I would guess you have that under control. I say it's on to the next round for all of my fellow video posters!
Thanks again Jack for your kind words. I will try to alter the angle of the camera for the next one. I was surprised at how far my left pinkie is away from the fret board. I think I need to try and get my knuckles parallel to the neck more.

I thought I would be last to post but Michael and Stewart jump in at the last minute with flawless playing.

Michael, I am intrigued by your right thumb. You seem to be able to bend the large knuckle in while also bending the tip outward. I gives you a nice attack on the strings. My thumb just doesn't do this! :?

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Great to see the fluent and polished posts from Richard and Michael. I'm hoping we can keep a 'core' of students throughout the course and perhaps have a few join us too. I think it's fair to say that there's been less advice/analysis this lesson, but perhaps it's because we are getting better at listening and looking at our own performances and learning from them.
Seeing Jack's reference to the damping in Richard's post does prompt me to admit that I do miss these at times to help ensure a 'better' performance. I think it would help me if the pieces were less prominent in the submissions, perhaps by only uploading a number of bars for one and perhaps a greater emphasis on the exercises. I realise though that we need to learn how to present a full piece and overcome stage/camera fright. I am still hugely enjoying the challenge though! Best wishes - Stewart

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:19 pm

I think it's fair to say that there's been less advice/analysis this lesson, but perhaps it's because we are getting better at listening and looking at our own performances and learning from them.
Yes, I noticed that too. I miss the constructive comments but realising that I will have to post my own performance has also made me less critical of others. My final posts tend to be the best of a few takes perhaps I will try to be honest about the parts I have trouble with and share what I am trying to improve in my own playing.
I like the idea of posting the exercises first and will try to post earlier this time.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 pm

:bravo: Michael... having just watched your video postings, your playing looked very focused and polished.

I hope you will stick with us, I am appreciating the shared enthusiasm and efforts of this group and you are part of that.....I guess we will all come and go a bit in terms of the time commitment we can give to the lessons and postings...

Good to see you back with us , Jack and Richard.

I have slightly lost the plot about when the next lesson is, presumably next week. Personally I have got better about stage fright or camera fright. The way I did it was to say to myself "this is just a practice so I am going to post the next video however good or bad it is - that way it will be representative of my practice at this moment in time...' One or two of the bits I have posted have been (in my personal opinion) pretty poor. But life didn't come to an end, I learned something and stopped feeling so self-conscious...

I have been a bit hit and miss about the damping myself, I have tried to follow your advice Richard about circling the thumb and bringing it back into place pronto, that has helped a bit.

I too hope more students may choose to join us. I think there are some others of you following these lessons and it would be great if you feel like posting your practice or comments sometime. No pressure though.
Good practice!

Ned H.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:32 am

I have slightly lost the plot about when the next lesson is, presumably next week.
Next lesson available now! :P
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=56644

and we shouldn't forget lesson 7 is still up for preview

Dragonbones

Post by Dragonbones » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am

Ned H. wrote:I have been a bit hit and miss about the damping myself
Hi Ned, what I do is use a green highlighter to mark the asterisks, play through it once, slowly, focusing mainly on the damping and how to achieve it (if not already marked), and pencil in a note if necessary. Then I play it again and again, very slowly, focusing far more on damping than anything else. Only later, after the damping becomes more automatic, do I try to slowly incorporate other aspects, one by one, like dynamics, changes in pace or tonal value and expressiveness in general. Speed is the last thing I work on.

SO if you find you've got a weak spot like damping, my suggestion is to make it your number one priority each time, for a while, and it can't help but get stronger.

(BTW I'm doing this D02 course but over in the Spanish section under my real name, Martín Suárez.)
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

2008 Sergio Huerta concierto,
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:25 am

Hey Guys,

Thank you for sharing your videos.
Here is my practice on Arpeggi Di Tre Note.
[media]https://youtu.be/CfvuMmlNKrY[/media]

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm just now getting to see everyone's submissions to this lesson and it seems to me that everyone is improving--especially in tone and confidence.
RichardJ wrote:Michael, I am intrigued by your right thumb. You seem to be able to bend the large knuckle in while also bending the tip outward. I gives you a nice attack on the strings. My thumb just doesn't do this!
Richard, my thumbs are very strange. I think I may be double jointed (though I really don't understand the term.) I'm glad that you like the attack I'm getting, but I'd trade my thumbs for some normal ones any day!

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Michael Collings wrote:I'm just now getting to see everyone's submissions to this lesson and it seems to me that everyone is improving--especially in tone and confidence.
I totally agree with what Michael said. Everyone sounds better in rhythm and in tone color.
Michael, I like your very upright posture in addition to your sound in general.
Jack Jarrett wrote: These lessons are proving to be more difficult than one first might think. I lack your self control.
I thought so, too. Looked like simple pieces, but hard to play it with regularity and with thumb control.

Well.... I will see you and talk to you guys in lesson 5.
We have a good group.

Thanks.

-duk

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 am

Duk you did a nice job, even while someone was milling around in the background! :D I think my focus would have drifted!
RichardJ wrote:I miss the constructive comments but realising that I will have to post my own performance has also made me less critical of others. My final posts tend to be the best of a few takes
Richard, I always post only my best!
And usually it's after more than just a few takes. It is, at least for me, very time consuming to prepare the videos for uploading and submissions.I decide that this is the day I will make a video, I set up the camera, try to relax, make numerous attempts at doing on camera that which I have previously done numerous times flawlessly, then I find one I like, upload on computer, edit it, upload on U tube, then enter it on Delcamp. This has taken me usually a couple of hours, so honestly, I want to post more videos to get a progressive look at my improvement, but find it a little too demanding to do that kind of thing. I think repeated postings of a particular piece over the month would be the most beneficial, but until I can find more time in my day, and a more efficient way of recording and uploading, it probably won't happen. I think Stewart did a great job of uploading his progression on these pieces and my hats off to him.

I too want to say we have a good core group of participants and hope we can all stick with it. I hope to be able to offer more constructive criticism in the future, but as Ned said we all will kind of come and go with our time commitments that we can allow for this.

Keep up the great work!
Jack

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun May 15, 2011 11:39 pm

I practiced the Carulli piece with all the damping, but I had trouble getting the fingering to flow. I'll keep working on it.
Ross
[media]https://youtu.be/vkpwNxLLYPM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/B9twnau0zvk[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”