D01 Classical guitar lesson 5

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
LindaWoodford

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by LindaWoodford » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Mike, don't be too hard on yourself - you managed to work the piece up to a nice tempo, and that in itself gave your piece a certain fluidity.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 am

Hi Linda. Thanks for the encouragement. Susan's playing (also yours) simply made me realize that I was pushing the tempo too hard. A little calm would help ... I'm working on it.

NelsonMoreno

D01 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by NelsonMoreno » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Antonio Cano-Curriella

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi MikeJay! Thanks for listening. I went back and listened to yours and it is really nice! I envy your speed! Something I really need to work on. Your recording gives me incentive. Thanks again and good job!

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:44 am

Hi Susan,

Thanks. I'll work on calm and you work on speed and together we will get there (sometime)! :D

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm

I've found this lesson to be very difficult, particularly because of the p rest strokes. Before this course, I was learning from Aaron Shearer's book, and he goes straight to free strokes with the thumb in his lessons. So it's taken a while to get this. More than a few times I wanted to throw my guitar out the window! 8) But I think I can now play them the way they're supposed to be done.

I'd like to just go through some of the issues I had in case it can help someone else. First, I started with my thumb too vertical. Almost straight compared to the strings. It was the only way I could get the nail to slide over the string. The problem with this though, was that it would most of the time not land on the next string, but would either hang in the air, or rest against my index finger.

Next, I tried lowering my thumb more like in the videos. Using the nails though, I needed way too much tension to get the thumb across the string. Also, the thumb would often hit two strings up from the string I was sounding, and then dampen the string I had just sounded.

In the next attempt, I tried not using the nail at all. I was able to sound the strings with less tension, but the sound was very muffled. I kept at it this way for about a week, not knowing what else to try. That started to get me frustrated because I could tell it was still wrong.

Finally, today I had the idea to rotate my hand so that the fingers were at more of an angle to the strings. And surprisingly, it worked! I can play with the thumbnail now, with minimal tension, and it sounds clear and unmuffled.

So really, do not give up. Experiment with how your hand is positioned, and just aim for a clear sound with minimal tension. Now the next step for me is to practice this over and over until it feels completely natural. It will probably take several months to get to that stage, though.

Here is a video posting I found while searching for help. While it didn't teach me the actual techniques I needed specifically, it was good just to see it was possible.

Now I'm off to practice and hopefully post some recordings soon. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Jim

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi James, thanks for your post - this is also a current theme of mine too at the moment. Glad to hear you made a breakthrough.
today I had the idea to rotate my hand so that the fingers were at more of an angle to the strings
Which way? Clockwise or anti? (I'm assuming you are right handed)

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi Linda,

I rotated my hand counter-clockwise.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 pm

James Williams wrote:Hi Linda,

I rotated my hand counter-clockwise.
Yup, that's the trick for simultaneous rest strokes; basically shifting the thumb up (toward the neck) and the fingers down (toward the bridge). Then it's a twisting motion like unscrewing a jar lid. You can see this in Mr. Delcamp's videos. As his fingers come to rest there is significant separation between the thumb and fingers. Then it's just a matter of repetition to get the feel for it.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Thank you for looking. :merci:

I've had so much trouble learning this one that I concentrated just on it for 4 days and posted it separate from the rest of the lesson. I still messed up by accidentally damping an 'E' that should not have been but I was just relieved to get through it with no major boo-boos.

[media]https://youtu.be/bxrYzEVNSiU[/media]

Comment and suggestions are welcome.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Bob: Sounds good and clean. Your efforts are paying off. Sounds like you have the technical aspects of the piece covered. I like the way you are moving the right hand around to get different tonal colors. The only digs are the same ones I have for myself: improve phrasing and dynamics to liven it up. You actually inspired me to remember to practice last night. :shock: It's rainy here in Jax so I should get some more quality time in over the next couple of nights. I want to post #4 so I can "catch up" more quickly to the first wave of students. (You are cordially invited to rip me a new one - I appreciate the advice.) The #5 tunes seem more interesting. I have to remember to practice the lesson "points" before moving on so I get the theme of the lesson regardless of whether or not I find the material particularly appealing. Otherwise, I'm missing the point in going back to square one and working on these beginning pieces. Note to self: Patience.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:31 am

Hi Scott,
Thank you so much for the kind words. :merci:

A few times, I had moments of reckless abandon when I played this piece as I felt it. A soft, slow first pass in the 'a1' part followed by a wild, fast, loud second 'a2' and 'b1' almost like a rock band would play it. The A5 and E6 strings were booming away while the trebles excitedly ran up and down the scale. This was followed by an ending 'b2' that was again soft and slow.

Then the video camera went on. After two days of recording I had a very conventional, stuttering, barely passible video. Sigh.

Have you seen the new material in D01-7 yet? There is some awesome pieces coming up in this First-Year course. I'm glad now that I didn't rush things.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:38 pm

You are too funny, Bob! I'm a little camcorder shy myself, so I can relate!! :okok:

Yes, I was looking ahead too. Some neat stuff coming up. I've also noticed learning seems to advance in spurts. Just so long as I don't try to jump from "Mary had a Little Lamb" to "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" in one jump. That would be a major trainwreck!

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:03 am

Sounds good, Bob! I agree that you have the technical aspects down pretty well. You're doing a good job of damping, and the p rest stroke looks great as well. I'd now try to get more musicality into it, with dynamics, smoother tones and other things like that. But that will come with time, I think. Keep at it!

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:12 am

Here's my lesson 5. I had a lot of trouble with the p rest stroke, but can now play it somewhat decently. Still needs lots of work. The other problem I'm having is damping. I'll have to keep working at that. But otherwise, I'm fairly happy with my progress so far.

Polyphonie is a disaster near the middle . . . not sure what happened there. I do like how Divertissement sounds, though the bass might be a little too strong in places.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. On to lesson 6!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”