D02 Classical guitar lesson 5

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Duk - very nice, particularly the soft echo in the main sections. I think you could add some contrast within the middle section though.
Did you see my earlier post about the damping? I can't quite see/hear whether you're doing this.
The next lesson doesn't start until 15 March by the way. Regards, Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 am

Awww. We like the little face! :)

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:36 am

Stewart wrote:I think you could add some contrast within the middle section though.
Did you see my earlier post about the damping? I can't quite see/hear whether you're doing this.
The next lesson doesn't start until 15 March by the way. Regards, Stewart
Hello Stewart,

I saw you made constrast within the middle section. It was nice: Good control. I should try that.
I am doing most of suggested dampings if it is with the thumb, but damping higher notes I skip some times.

We still have 2 more weeks for this lesson? I'd better practice and post the other pieces.
Jack Jarrett wrote:Awww. We like the little face! :)
I like it too... :D :)

Thanks, guys.

-duk

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 pm

In case you haven't spotted them yet, don't miss out on the musical games that Jean-François has introduced to provide some practice in improvisational skills. viewforum.php?f=109
Do consider joining in, or starting up your own games there.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks Geoff. This looks like a bit of creative fun, and it's about time I stopped loafing around in "the Cafe" and got a bit of fresh air...

Ned

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:01 pm

As I set up the mic for the games I thought I'd record the Danse Polonais with a little more fluidity to the tempo.
You can hear me breathing which is a good sign as I do sometimes forget when concentrating too hard..

PSJust comparing to my previous post it's 19 seconds shorter, too fast perhaps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Richard
RichardJ wrote: I thought I'd record the Danse Polonais with a little more fluidity to the tempo.
I enjoyed listening to your recording, the use of rubato brought the music to life and gave it a "fairground ride" feel, the movement of the dance comes through it...
RichardJ wrote:too fast perhaps?
I did not find the tempo too fast but imagined you may be stretching yourself.

There are a few moments where the fluidity breaks down, on chord changes - I wonder if you are pushing yourself to achieve the higher tempo, and although you can just about carry it off, there are one or two points where the rhythm becomes a little stiff.

But these are small details, overall it sounded really good and lively :bravo:

Ned

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Let me compliment everyone in this group on the large amount of feedback you're giving each other and the collaborative and helpful spirit here!

My opinion on the left-hand thumb showing:

I was wondering about this myself a few days ago, I looked at some "Pro" players on youtube and saw that some maintained a very strict arched arm and wrist so that you could see the back of their left hand at all times, while others (Julian Bream for instance) sometimes dropped the arch (of the arm at least) so that you could not see the back of his left hand). Even Bream didn't show the thumb much, I have to admit.

I find that it is much more comfortable and my left hand feels more solidly anchored if I do allow the thumb to show when playing scale-type passages on the high E string. If you keep the thumb far under the neck here and arch the arm and wrist so the back of the left hand shows then you end up with very little anchor of your position on the neck - it doesn't feel very solid. So I allow this for myself when playing on the high E string. I don't grip with the thumb but let it relax almost like the behavior of the index finger in a barre chord and touch the neck more with the inner side of the thumb rather than the pad.

For other strings and for playing chords on several strings I think keeping the thumb under the neck is much more important because it allows your fingers greater reach toward the bass strings and lets them come down on the strings more vertically so that you don't touch the neighboring strings.

On the sympathetic vibration of the D string: If you're not using the thumb and if the D string is not being played you can anchor your thumb there to stop the vibration. This also gives you a more solid foundation for i, m, a attack on the strings. The anchor can be used even when no vibration needs to be stopped. For scale passages it can follow the fingers leaving 1 string in between (if i, m, a are playing on the B string then the thumb rests on the D string, when i, m, a move to the high E then the thumb moves to G).
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Dear All

My second attempt at the Sor Allegretto. I am hoping it is better than the first, it is a bit faster in tempo than the first time and I concentrated on variation of tone. I notice on playback that the bass E string was a little out of tune...
Anyway I would welcome feedback, if you have any - both positive and critical!

[media]https://youtu.be/ab3kMRmW29k[/media]

Jeremy, many thanks for visiting our forum and for your thoughts on the LH thumb position, it's a bit of a bugbear of mine and has been a theme at times in our postings.

I haven't posted the C major scale yet...I realise I have been sloppy over this. I had not realised that M. Delcamp was playing it with m and a (which I find difficult). I have been practicing it with i and m, which is musch easier. Must have been wishful thinking on my part, to avoid the challenge of working on my lazy and underexercised a finger. I will try and get some practice in during the next few days.

Ned

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Well I'm beginning to feel like I'm ready for something new.
Here are my final attempts all done in recordings as sometimes I can't get motivated to set up the camera.
Allegretto No2 opus44.mp3
Andante Affetuoso.mp3
Danse Polonaise.mp3
No c major scale, just the good stuff.
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi everyone, Here are my last recordings.I'll try to comment on the recent postings from Richard, Ned and Jack as soon as I can.
I haven't managed the relaxed thumb moving over the bass strings in the scale yet. I'm not practicing the pieces as well as I should. I must slow them right down and make sure the RH fingering is secure. It seems fine when practicing, but the added pressure of recording causes havoc. Anyway, bye for now.

D02 Meissonnier Andante affettuoso v2
[media]https://youtu.be/0YBvdqa8KFU[/media]

D02 Bobrowitz Danse polonaise
[media]https://youtu.be/G-aM0VZYDZE[/media]

D02 C Major scale
[media]https://youtu.be/Oe3bahNc_uQ[/media]

Added on 14 March....
D02 Fernando Sor opus 44 2
[media]https://youtu.be/B-_Ot2zd3Yg[/media]
Last edited by Stewart Doyle on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Ned, well played, lovely echo effect and your right hand looks very relaxed.
When I watch you videos I always feel your left hand knuckles could be a bit more parallel with the neck. You have a country style grip. You might find raising your left elbow a tad will give your fingers more space.

Jack, Your Andante Affetuoso played slow and steady is pretty much flawless. I like the balance between the ringing bass and trebles.
The other pieces are also well played well but the Andante is a clear eaxmple of how slow playing can be so beneficial. Something I am terrible at as I tend to rush through everything. :P

Stewart, Your right hand is tidy in your Andante Affetuoso. Keeping your thumb under control and getting the damping sorted.

I'm not recording again on this lesson, so here's waiting for to Tuesday. This one seems to have been a longer time and rather than practice more I have drifted in to other things for a bit.
I'm sure the next lesson will get me back on track.

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm

I’ve added the Sor Allegretto to my earlier post to keep them together. I neglected it a bit as I wanted to concentrate on the pieces I was having problems with. With the Allegretto I’m about as relaxed as I ever get while recording – whereas I can feel my whole body tense for the Danse Polonaise – no, dancing isn’t my forte! In the Sor, my quiet echo is almost vanishingly quiet at times and it’s probably a bit too soft overall. I noticed when uploading on YouTube that it suggested lullaby as a tag. I checked to see if all my recording had that suggested - they didn’t, in fact Soleares had a suggested tag of Trash Metal!

Richard – Thanks for your comments. I dread to think what my recording would sound like at the speed you play the Danse Polonaise – I think you play the second section particularly well. I know we’ve discussed the strict/free timing in the past. I notice you play notes 3 to 5 almost as quavers.

Ned - I notice you are slightly syncopating the first notes in bars 6 and 7 and elsewhere. I've heard this used to affect in certain pieces (Baroque perhaps?) so I wondered if you were doing this deliberately or not. You get a nice contrasting tone in the echo by moving the RH.

Jack - I wonder if the absence of the camera made you more relaxed - three great recordings there. [Are you sure you didn't have a helper doing the damping? - I could do with one! :) ] The Allegretto just gets better each time - I think it's one of the best examples of an improvement from the first recording. If I was to be really picky, I think you could add a few pauses/breaths within the piece. As Richard said, the Andante benefits from the stately pace and the Polonaise is played with great confidence.

See you all in the next lesson!
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Jack

the damping sounded excellent on your recordings

I liked that you slowed down a bit and really seemed to concentrate on technique. Wish I was as disciplined, it really pays off in your recordings which sound very crisp. The Meisonnier Andante Affettuoso sounded particularly good. :bravo:

Richard - thanks for your feedback. You are quite right about the Left hand country style grip. So hard to break old habits, I try consciously from time to time but as soon as I stop thinking about it, the old left hand sneaks back into default mode.

This lesson has seemed a long one, I am looking forward to something new though I have enjoyed the musical game/ composition and hope we will do more every now and then. There is a lot to learn but it is fun...

Ned H.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Stewart

Good steady right hand technique I thought....you looked a bit static on the "echo" in the Sor Allegretto, but I think you were aware of that. A bit of tone variation would liven it up. The Andante Affettuoso sounded very crisp too and the left hand chord shifts are very sure and steady.

Looking forward to the next lesson

Ned

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”