D02 Classical guitar lesson 5

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by Jack Jarrett » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 am

Stewart, your postings are great as usual.The Alegretto is smooth and played with a nice tempo, notes are clean and clear and the whole piece played with a nice relaxed feel, unlike my version. I was more relaxed without the camera as it is less hassle to set up and use, so hence I can play more often until I get an acceptable version for posting. :wink:

Richard you are right in your assessment of my submissions being somewhat fast.I was thinking that I was playing at the recommended tempos, but in doing so I tend to lose any "feeling" and it almost sounds like a midi generated recording. I really need to work on SLOWING DOWN. I've been saying saying that for a long time and really making each note sound beautiful.

Thanks Ned for your observations as well! I did notice you arpeggiated your notes and was wondering if that was intentional as well.

I also wanted to mention that I have signed up for a Guitar Ensemble class through our Continuing Education, for the next month.We'll see how the pressure of playing in front of others compares to playing in front of a video camera!

Looking forward to the next lesson
Jack

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:18 am

[media]https://youtu.be/XDoQqu8m-z0[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/IQbyPaAr6ng[/media]

Hello All, Here are my submissions at the end of the lesson. Unfortunately I'll have to scrape by until school's out. Everyone sounds great--keep up the good guitar playing!

Here's a paraphrase I've been pondering by Michel Debost--one of the greatest living flute players:

"The practice room is the only place where there is no excuse to make mistakes."

If you think about it for a moment...he's absolutely right! However, videos are perfectly fine places to make mistakes. :D

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 am

Michael your playing is always so relaxed nice job.

"The practice room is the only place where there is no excuse to make mistakes."

I have a book (for Saxophone) that suggests if your practice doesn't sound bad your only playing things you already can play :-)

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Beautifully played Michael - I'm going to try to adopt that little pause, that moment of relaxation, before you start. I think it will take some time but I need to try something to cut down on all my false starts.
The next lesson is online at viewtopic.php?f=41&t=57650 by the way. I really like the three pieces this lesson. Can't wait....

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Lovely Michael.
Michael Collings wrote:videos are perfectly fine places to make mistakes.
I didn't see any mistakes in your video...it sounded great and the technique looked really relaxed and precise.

Ned

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:21 am

RichardJ wrote: I have a book (for Saxophone) that suggests if your practice doesn't sound bad your only playing things you already can play
That's great Richard...and that's what I get for making generalizations! I agree with the saxophonist too--to a degree. Let me refer to some of Debost's actual words. He discusses setting realistic goals for oneself saying, "For daily practice, choose things you can play relatively easily, but play them perfectly. There is no excuse for playing something easy imperfectly in practice; you progress better on easy perfection than on inevitable disaster."

Perhaps I took it a little out of context, but I remember some other sentiments like this in the book (The Simple Flute by Michel Debost)

Thanks for the responses--and yes, the next lesson looks great. That Carulli piece is lovely.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Wed May 25, 2011 11:07 am

Hi folks

Here is a late posting of the C major scale, m and a fingers, apoyando. I can see I need to work my a finger a lot more, to improve my co-ordination of the RH.

[media]https://youtu.be/6WxCMcCIfQ0[/media]

Ned

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Mon May 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Making all the damps and tonal changes was a challenge for me. I really appreciated the extra lesson Mr. D put together for Allegretto.
Ross
[media]https://youtu.be/9d3igWgF7vQ[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/cSiqoTFYBcA[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”