D03 Classical guitar lesson 5

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D03 that I updated today.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 90, numbers 16, 17 - Jean-François DELCAMP - SCALES
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 16, 17 on page 90. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

- Page 95, numbers 32, 33, 34, 35, 36. Jean-François DELCAMP - SLURS
We have already worked on the rest stroke (apoyando) with the fingers of the right hand. Now we are going to work on doing a rest stroke with the fingers of the left hand. That is the best way to learn how to execute descending slurs.

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 41, 42, 43, 56 et 58.
- page 41 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) PRELUDE N°4 opus 114
Practise playing this arpeggio while keeping 3 fingers on the strings throughout. Doing it this way will teach you to make the necessary finger movement without it triggering involuntary and unwanted movements by the other fingers.

- pages 42-43 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) VALSE

- page 56 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°1
There are numerous repetitions, so vary the tone colour to avoid monotony. To obtain different tone colours, play:
- over the soundhole (the sound volume is at its best here and you get a good balance between the bass and treble notes);
- over the fingerboard (the sound here is softer, closer to the that of a clarinet, and the basses are softened);
- near the bridge (the sound here is more metallic, and becomes close to that of the harpsichord, the basses are strengthened and the trebles weakened).

- page 58 Dionisio AGUADO (1784-1849) LECCION N°19
Practise playing this arpeggio while keeping 2 fingers on the strings throughout. Doing it this way will teach you to make the necessary finger movement without it triggering involuntary and unwanted movements by the other fingers.

I advise you to work on all the exercises and the four pieces for a week. From February 22nd, please record and upload your recordings of the following:
- page 41 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) PRELUDE N°4 opus 114
- page 56 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°1

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:34 pm

alright, the new pieces are great!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 pm

In case you haven't spotted them yet, don't miss out on the musical games that Jean-François has introduced to provide some practice in improvisational skills. viewforum.php?f=109
Do consider joining in, or starting up your own games there.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:51 pm

looks like fun!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:08 am

Jeremy Hickerson wrote:looks like fun!
At present, participation is restricted to students, but it could well be opened up to all a bit later.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Here are my posts:

Carulli Prelude No 4, opus 114

[media]https://youtu.be/oMjWI7du7Yo[/media]

Paganini Ghiribizzo No 1

[media]https://youtu.be/ZLTzuF3NQ_M[/media]
Jeremy

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 am

Hi Jeremy! :D good rendering of the two pieces :bravo: . I´m in spanish forum. Elías :guitare:
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 am

Here are my posts for this lesson:
Carulli, Ferdinand; Prelude #4 opus 114
[media]https://youtu.be/N1OenF0QBcU[/media]

Paganini, Niccoli'; Ghiribizzo #1
[media]https://youtu.be/GNZ9KTk0T_4[/media]

Thanks for watching!

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:59 am

Greg,

Very nice job on both pieces! On the Carulli your right hand was practically motionless aside from the fingers, and very relaxed - the piece was very flowing all the way through maintaining the steady rhythm and very musical too.

On the Paganini you did a great job on damping the bass notes - I think I am going to try this again after practicing the shorter valued damp as you and Mr. Delcamp did. I was trying to damp the note right after I played the next note, giving the full value to each note, but I don't like this as well. Also it made it harder to remember which string to damp, while going with the shorter bass notes lets you damp the note you have just played, instead of the one right before the note you just played.

I noticed on the Paganini that you played the "B" repeating bass note in the first section with one of your fingers instead of the thumb. I would think that this is more difficult, although it didn't seem to cause you any problems, and you made it sound the same also. My feeling is that it's better to use the thumb for all so that they all sound the same, and also it's one less thing to think about.
Jeremy

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:57 am

Jeremy, Thanks for your comments. I worked with both ways of playing the b, I guess I got used to im for those kinds of notes a while ago, anyway it seemed more natural for me. I was close to getting this piece memorized, which opens up more opportunity for interpretation and faster tempo, but as it were I was barely keeping it moving along. The Carulli was an excellent exercise for the left hand and I am going to keep utilizing that in my practice.

Great job on both your pieces as usual. I liked the dog bark! I hope we get a few more posts.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:49 am

yeah, I'll work on a better dog bark next time - maybe I can get them to do it in harmony! I ordered a better microphone, if it comes in time I'll use it in another post.
Jeremy

Leonardo Silva

Post by Leonardo Silva » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi Jeremy. i listened to yours Ghiribizzi and liked it a lot. the sound is clear and you played at a good tempo. the only tip i give to you is about the damping of the bass notes. i think you forgot to damp the bass notes which makes this little piece much harder to be played.

Leonardo Silva

Post by Leonardo Silva » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:35 pm

My try on Paganini's GHIRIBIZZO n°1.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Leonardo, I liked your Paganini, very quick and lively. I think you gave a little too much time to the last measure of each section, other than that, excellent!

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks Leonardo,

I did attempt to damp the bass notes (I missed some), but I was aiming for not damping until I sounded the next bass note, unlike the way Jean Francois and Greg played it, where they used a shorter note duration. However, I decided I like the shorter note duration better since it gives a nice effect, so I am going to work on the piece that way!

Jeremy
Jeremy

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”