D03 Classical guitar lesson 5

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 5

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Some thoughts on damping:

I think this makes the instrument so much more musical, giving several new dimensions for expression. The jazz guitarist Tuck Andress has developed a very percussive style that utizilizes this technique. I didn't use to like his playing but now have come to appreciate it. He says that the guitar is an instrument that naturally wants to sustain notes, and that it's much harder to bring this under control and make note duration and sound duration a choice instead of an accident.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:15 am

Leonardo,

I liked your Paganini a lot! The bass notes just dance - very nice!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:09 pm

here's another try at the Ghiribizzo
[media]https://youtu.be/VbRMqHW6q74[/media]
Jeremy

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Jeremy,
I can't comment on your technique but that was lovely and very musical. Seeing the video I was rewarded by the passion with which you played this piece. I hope it will continue to burn as you progress. :bravo:

I would like to invite you and your peers to revisit the earlier lessons so that us late comers can benefit from the accumulated knowledge. For instance, Morgan in lesson Do1-1 has just ask a question and having already passed on my meager contribution it would be nice if you expanded on the subject.

Thanks for the music and for your help :merci:

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:06 am

Thank you Bob, I appreciate it!

Good point also about checking out the new group of people starting in D03 - I have been trying to look in on D02 once in a while and see if I can make any helpful observations, but I'm usually held back by the fact that I don't really know the material they're working on. But we do know it for D03 - thanks for the reminder.
Jeremy

RicDavalos

Post by RicDavalos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 am

Hello all,

The damping on these pieces has proved very difficult for me this time, so here's two I've been working on without the damping for now.

Valse - Ferdinand Carulli
[media]https://youtu.be/x4DbrheUKS4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Leccion #19 - Dionisio Aguado
[media]https://youtu.be/Wg1SHOBSfHA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Both pieces were very nice Ric.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:18 am

strong sound on both, Ric, very well played!
Jeremy

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi everybody here! :D I´m a student in the spanish forum :) , I saw some of the videos here and would like to share my efforts :chaud: in order to receive critiques and comments from you :oops: . Here is one video of the prelude No. 4 opus 114 by Carulli from the course number 5, [media]https://youtu.be/iGyyUmz-yug[/media].

Greetings :bye: Elías.
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi! :? As I uploaded the video of the prelude by Carulli recalled myself that had another video from the same course :oops: . Here is the video of the Ghiribizzo no. 1, that was my first try :| [media]https://youtu.be/iwIn_bxkhik[/media] .

Your comments and critiques are very greatly appreciated :merci: .

So long :bye: Elías.
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Elias,

Very cleanly and accurately played with beautiful tone! The only thing I might suggest is some crescendo and diminuendo where you think it's appropriate on the Carulli, and maybe thinking of the bass notes as a tune and phrasing them that way.

Of course, on the Paganini damping of the bass notes can be very expressive to highlight their voice so that the note duration is shorter and all the same length - but this is tricky!

I wonder if you are using your nail when you play with your thumb, or if you have a short thumb nail - it doesn't sound as clear as I would expect.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:35 pm

If anyone is interested we need a third player in the musical games section for D03 level.
Jeremy

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Ric, Those were both nicely played. On the Aguado you really brought out the bass melody nicely, strong and steady. I have been playing that piece for a long time and sometimes I just like to play the bass line! Elias, thanks for joining us. I liked your pieces. On the Paganini, as an exercise for p try to damp the bass notes right after playing. It was very hard at first but it got easier. I posted that one a couple of weeks ago, it was a little slow but I have now got it up to tempo and if I have some time this weekend may redo my recording. I love playing it and have pretty much got it memorized now.

Leonardo Silva

Post by Leonardo Silva » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Welcome 49Elias07. I heard your Paganini and as said before what is missing is the damping of the bass notes. Take a look at the video with Mr. Delcamp playing it and you will notice it.

RicDavalos: great job on both pieces. :bravo:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”