D01 Classical guitar lesson 6

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 6

Post by GeoffB » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:51 pm

In case you haven't spotted them yet, don't miss out on the musical games that Jean-François has introduced to provide some practice in improvisational skills. viewforum.php?f=109
Do consider joining in, or starting up your own games there.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks, Geoff. Maybe we'll feel freer to play games once we've submitted our routine uploads for this lesson. I've been looking at the games in progress in the French forum, and I must admit that the musical game looks more comprehensible to me than the word game, which is supposed to be a prelude to the musical invention.

Linda--In the Sor, I've been playing the open-string G in the third system with the thumb, in order to have the thumb already in place for damping the following e. Elsewhere, I've been using the index or the middle finger as marked.

These recordings will probably sound painfully deliberate, but I hope I'm getting more of the damping and the apoyando, which makes for a rounder sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:47 am

:( + ♫ = :)

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Okay. mes devoirs ... Not perfect, of course (otherwise I wouldn't be working on Level 1 :D ).
Concerning thumb or finger -- on the first two bars of the first section of the Sor, I automatically use my finger -- as notated. On the first two bars of the second section, my natural tendency is to use the thumb but I decided to switch to the finger because it gives a more consistent tone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Oh well done you guys for getting your recordings up. I have been away for the weekend, so am not sure if I will make it this evening...

I know what you mean about damping making it sound deliberate, Penelope. I never learnt it as a complete beginner and now I find that taking care of damping slows down my playing, and gives my brain and hands double the amount to think about, but I really think it's worth the perseverance, and I'm determined not to sacrifice it for speed.

Thanks for all the feedback on thumbs or fingers. I did see that the written fingering in the Sor piece was "i" but also saw that Mr Delcamp plays the G with "p". Since then I have been intrigued as to why. Having read your responses and had a week to think about it, I have decided to go with "p" - ironically for the exact same reason as Mike chose "i". I think the G is a different voice from the C and B in bars 1-5, so I want to use "p" to get a LESS consistent tone, if you see what I mean. I am practicing trying to hang on the D in bar 4 to emphasize the two voices. I'm not sure whether I am thinking about this far too deeply (and certainly far deeper than my skill allows me to play :!: ), but I really like the way the top melody voice in bars 9-11 switches over bar 12 to a bass voice in the remainder of the piece. Well, after all this talk :roll:, I hope that I will be able to play and record the voices that I have in my head :o , because I think the piece is really beautiful, and more complex than it looks :chaud:
(PS let me know if I am getting too carried away with the little smilies too - I don't go on many forums and they are a bit of a novelty :) )

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:43 pm

OK, not quite how I would like to be able to play it... but a start at least :|

[media]https://youtu.be/WNbDar5bRf8[/media]

These videos are showing me just how much my whole right hand moves, when I really just want to move my thumb.. something else to work on :?

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Lovely. Clean, good timing, melodic with feeling. Excellent. Good observation about the hand motion. I learned to do so many things the wrong way years ago. At the time, you can think you're getting away with it (and you may) but when you get to the tougher music, it can really hamper you. Try using just the first joint - nearest your palm - to pivot your thumb and strike the string and not swing the forearm. Same for all the RH fingers. But it's only pronounced with the thumb. Economy of motion. I'm having this problem with the left hand now. Different technique but the same idea. Nice playing!

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks Scott - I appreciate the helpful advice. I tell you, I had no idea that I had that much movement, until I saw it for myself on the video! On the last recording, I noticed that my left hand was twisted round as well, but this time it is looking a bit better. I am learning so much from this!
I've just listened to your recordings on D02, since you asked for critique. I must say that it is hard to find any fault; you play confidently and with good speed, and the notes are clear, strong and even. I am looking forward to your first video recording to see what "bad habits" you are talking about :wink:
Since you have such a good command of the pieces, why not try and vary the tone and add a bit more feeling into the melody?
Anyway, back to the polyphony exercises for me, until my right hand sorts itself out :)

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks I will try that. I think my sound is a little "wooden". I can't quite get that nice "lilt" to my tone you have. I'm "looking forward" to the camcorder version :chaud: too.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:55 am

Bravo Linda, very nice. I think you made the right choice of fingering with the thumb. I'll reconsider.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Where's Chris?

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:07 am

Since Chris lives in Oahu and that was one of the first regions in Hawaii to be evacuated because of the Tsunami that has been devastating Japan, let's hope he's in a safe place. In hopes that we hear from him soon, I'm posting similar messages in the "musical games" thread and under the "Café" rubric.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:22 pm

My thoughts to Chris too.

I'm posting this one, because I simply love playing it. It reminds me a bit of the Sunday church bells. Still working on my right hand position - there is less movement than before, but still too much when changing from p to fingers.

[media]https://youtu.be/NK8C5SreppU[/media]

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi Linda,
I see what you mean about church bells.
I notice your right hand is much more under control now. Congratulations :bravo:

Although the room your in is lovely, those hardwood floors do make for some 'less-than-optimum' acoustics. Come to think of it, it does lend a certain 'cathedral' quality.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 am

Hi Bob, I was thinking of your 'hinge' advice a lot this week - thanks.
Althoubgh you can't see it, I am set up over the only bit of rug in the room, but it is clearly not enough. Now that I'm regularly recording, I will read the relevant forum threads and see if I can find a better set up in a different room. My tech-savvy husband has already been reading up on mic reviews... :roll:

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Re: Church Bells

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Linda--I like your interpretation of the Carcassi. Before I heard it, I had trouble making that exercise sing; now, although I can't match your speed, I'll be working for more of the fluidity I just heard--and the phrasing, which suggests an antiphonal effect between the peaks and the plunges.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”