D01 Classical guitar lesson 6

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Scott_NyLonChaney

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 6

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Nice, Linda2. I like the "hall" sound.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:30 pm

OK, I get the message and am hanging thick curtains and sticking egg boxes to my walls as I type :lol: :D

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Here's a Ricercar, from memory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi Penelope:
First off let me say that if you are playing from memory, I am jealous. Even as a young man (when my memory was better :roll: ) I could probably perform half a dozen pieces, maximum, without the score. To do this, and to be able to play by ear are two abilities I would love to have.

Listening to your recording, my one suggestion would be to allow the A and the E in the bass to sustain for the full measure. It sounds like they are being damped prematurely. Other than that, just keep at it. I like the way you practice at a slower tempo. That's a really good way to "hammer out the kinks" before you play at the suggested tempo. I need the discipline to remember to always do that!

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 am

Hey, really nice playing, Penny :bravo:

All that slow and precise practice is certainly paying off, because you have made a big improvement in fluidity, and the notes sound smoother too. I second Scott's comments - and jealousy - about being able to play that from memory - I can't... I particularly noticed that towards the end, the notes were even more fluid, which could be a result of you relaxing (if so, do more relaxing :wink: ), or perhaps that you practiced each part evenly (in contrast to my practice, which starts at the beginning of the piece, focusses on the difficult bits until I can start from the beginning and play through them, but the end only gets practiced if I make it that far... in which case I need to learn from your discipline :wink: )

Have you been practicing the improvisations in preparation for the next lesson? I've got a bit lost with this, so am waiting for the next instruction.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:48 pm

but the end only gets practiced if I make it that far...
That's an interesting observation. I've read on some of the threads here that a number of players had instructors that actually told them to start at the ending measures and learn them first - quite often they are the most difficult part - and then learn the beginning. I never would have thought of that. You learn so many fascinating things on this forum!

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks for your comments, Linda and Scott. I'm focusing so much, lately, simply on keeping the melody going that I've probably been paying less attention to damping....and frankly, I would like more legato in general, though I realize that it's important to damp to control dissonance and keep the sound clean.

That's an interesting suggestion concerning practicing endings first. Certainly the conclusion is one of the most important phases to be secure and resolute. I haven't been practicing that way, but if I sound more fluent there, it's probably just because I'm happy to get there!

Linda, I must admit that I haven't been doing much with solo improvisation practice these last few days because I've been wondering what to do about the musical game that should have finished last Saturday. As the fourth player, I'm supposed to wrap it up--but only after Chris has made one more contribution. The cumulative line has become really devilish to play; I know where I'd like to end it, but there's no telling what kind of twist Chromatic Chris may give it in the meantime. Chris, are you reading this?

I've been working on the Carcassi opus 59, and hope to upload that by the end of the week.

Chris NewVillage

Post by Chris NewVillage » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 am

Penelope wrote:As the fourth player, I'm supposed to wrap it up--but only after Chris has made one more contribution... but there's no telling what kind of twist Chromatic Chris may give it...
Contributed. See viewtopic.php?f=109&t=57343&p=632738#p632738
Penelope wrote:Chris, are you reading this?
I was. I thought I could go to sleep after this visit. Something had to be taken care of right away...

*yawwwnnn* Nitey nite...

Chromatic Chris. :)

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Here's my rendition of the Carcassi exercise. As Linda remarked, it's really fun to play....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:44 am

Penelope wrote:Here's my rendition of the Carcassi exercise. As Linda remarked, it's really fun to play....
Sounds good, Penelope. It sounds as though you are getting more comfortable with all of the notes. The trouble I have with this piece is getting the thumb to move as easily as the rest of my fingers. I end up moving my whole hand instead.

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:52 am

Hi all,

Here's my lesson 6. I've been pretty busy lately so it's taken a while to record and get uploaded. I've decided not to wait for a perfect recording, as was discussed recently. So all the flaws are there to pick over. :) Right now my main problem is getting the thumb to function more independently. Perhaps some finger exercises will help with that.

I look forward to any comments or critiques.

Jim

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:38 am

Hi James,
I liked both of these. There was a definite musicality to both pieces and you played them at a nice pace that's still a bit of a challenge for me. :bravo:

I hope to join you soon but I've been a bit ill last week and it has seriously delayed getting through lesson 6. I want to really nail those simultaneous rest strokes before I move on plus there's the part about simply learning the music well enough to play it I still have to do.

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Thank you, Bob. I'm glad you liked them.

Don't worry about being delayed. Take your time and do things at whatever pace works best for you. It will pay off in the end. :)

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:55 pm

I second that motion Jim. And I know what Bob is talking about regarding the simultaneous rest strokes. I find when there is more separation between the strings being sounded, like the 6th string E and the 1st or 2nd string, I can do it just fine. Sounding the 1st and the 3rd string together - as one of the exercises calls for in D01 lesson #5 - that's another story. It's giving me fits. Also, I was hoping to be posting #5 soon, but my computer had a stroke over the weekend. :(

joss_adley

Post by joss_adley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi all,
As a late arrival I've been ploughing through the earlier lessons on my own. I've still got a bit of catching up to do but I thought I'd post up my lesson 6 vids anyway. Any feedback would be gratefully received. I found it quite awkward playing with the webcam pointed at me, moreso than I thought I would. It actually made me realise how many mistakes & restarts I make when just playing without any pressure!

[media]https://youtu.be/H-0JE2e1KAM[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/Bnw9qOp12Vs[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”