D01 Classical guitar lesson 6

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Scott_NyLonChaney

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 6

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Nice feeling, Joss! Well done. And RH work looks good. One suggestion, although it doesn't matter quite as much on this lesson, your LH is cut off in the vid. Be nice to see what's happening there as well.

Scotty

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 am

Hi Joss,

sounds good. Probably you are aware of it but you make some rather big hand movements every time you execute a thumb stroke. You are able to make it work here but when the tempo increases it'll get harder. It would help to get the knuckles nearly over the strings the fingers are playing on. It's hard to express exactly but you'll see what I mean if you take another look at Jean-François' playing. It's a difficult position and I'm spending a lot of time trying to get it right (e.g. lots of time on exercise 15 of page 58) but I think it's work the effort. I also found the Artzt videos quite useful -- the link: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36445 -- In any case, nice playing, keep it up!

joss_adley

Post by joss_adley » Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks for the comments. Yes, my hand is all over the place during the thumb strokes. The video format is great for showing up things like this that you just don't notice when playing! I've been working to correct this and I think my RH is gradually becoming more anchored. We'll see during the next lesson's vids. Hopefully my left hand will be present in those also :0

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Introducing Lolita :D My wife came up with the clever name for this 3/4 size guitar.

Comfort-wise she fits my hand like a proverbial glove. I can play her for long periods without strain. I'm still adjusting to the closer proximity of the strings as you can tell from the buzzes in the video. Still, I'm much better until the camera goes on. Then my hands stiffen up and the buzzes multiply. Sorry. This video is a little rushed because I want to qualify for the exam in June and I still need to post something for lesson 1, 2 and 7. Then I will need to practice and record the exam piece.

I did not use the suggested '4' fingering in the Sor opus 60 piece. With the smaller guitar it was not necessary and in fact didn't work well at all.

[media]https://youtu.be/YrGEtGmNLuA[/media]

Thank you for looking :merci:

joss_adley

Post by joss_adley » Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 am

Good to see you posting Bob, hope your sinus headache problems have passed. Sounds good, and kudos to you for recording both tracks in the one take! From what I can see, your posture and technique look just fine with the smaller size guitar.
One suggestion I would make is to get the thumb resting on the string that it is due to play next where possible. This would mean less thumb travel for you in the first section of the Sor study, where you are having to move it up from the six string to hit the D & then back again.

~Joss

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Joss,
Thank you so much :merci: :merci:

In lesson D01-2 I had to start over after a week just to determine where to rest my thumb and then practice it that way. In lesson D01-3 I made a point of doing that but I got sloppy in subsequent lessons. It is clear to me now (thanks to you) that I need to establish those thumb rest positions from the beginning and then practice them the same way each time.

Listening to my recording again with fresh ears after a few days, I see that I am still clipping the notes a bit short. I will be working on that in lesson D01-7.

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Thu May 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi Bob, I know she's cute, but she's too young for you, man. :D Just kidding! Good to see you're uploading again. I'm glad you've found a guitar that works for you better. They're like a woman, you have to find one that you're satisfied with that will put up with your peculiarities. Mine's not very forgiving, I'm afraid. (My guitar, that is!)

My computer's been dead for a while, just got it resurrected. I am trying to finish the lessons as well. I've gotten a teacher now, so I need to decide if I'm going to carry on with this after D01. I enjoy these lessons, if I can organize my time to continue them, I will. He seemed to agree it's beneficial for my rest stroke technique especially, although he doesn't really seem to be a big fan of apoyando except for accenting certain passages. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, if you'll pardon the pun. He's really been challenging me, I'll say that!

For that note clipping - I have a hard time seeing it well, but it looks like you lift up your LH finger every time after you play a note. If you're ascending, keep it on the fret unless you need it somewhere else. For the descending, keep the active finger on the board for the full duration of the note - that'll help keep it from snuffing out. I struggle with this too, especially when I'm sight reading, so I feel a little hypocritical, but I find it helps. Your expression is good. I hate playing that sounds like Robbie the Robot and you don't seem to suffer from that, which is great. Keep on keepin' on!

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Fri May 20, 2011 12:30 am

Well, for better or worse. Onward and upward - or at least onward and sideways one hopes. My challenge here on fleur is get my pinkie to go where it needs to go. I seem to be suffering from "pinkie lock". I am trying to use a rubber exercise ball to build up "pinkie flex". Not sure how that is going to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri May 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi Jim,

That was lovely. :bravo:

I did notice a couple of things. You missed the 'repeat' in both pieces. For a demonstration of playing it's no big deal but I thought maybe you just overlooked that part and a small reminder would help for the sake of the next lessons.

It also sounded as if you substituted an open 'G' for the open 'B' in Donna-Moi La Fleur (fourth beat of the second measure for example.) Having played that piece for a solid week, it did sound a little odd to me.

I would say "Just a quick look at the scores to see what I'm talking about and then it's ONWARD to lesson 7!!!" :bravo:
Hi Bob, I know she's cute, but she's too young for you, man. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks, Bob, you are quite right in both cases. More care required.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”