How is it going?

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: How is it going?

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:51 am

Thanks for this opportunity and great idea for online lesson. AT NO COST!!! This is remarkable to have a forum set up with this much experience, knowledge, interest and enthusiasm available for anyone to access. I really am enjoying participating and have found this a nice way to get some direction and have immediate goals to work towards, that are within my skill levels. This has forced me to work on really mastering the pieces, and has kept me from moving on too quickly to new material before I am really ready. And the hope that there might possibly be continued lessons as we advance is very exciting!

I will echo what seems to be a common thread, and that is an occasional comment from a more knowledgable player regarding our posts would be greatly appreciated, though I do realize this is a voluntary time commitment and understand if this is not possible.Having other peers to comment and offer suggestions has been helpful and just being involved in a group effort for self improvement of a common interest has been reward enough.

The idea of providing links regarding specific areas alreafdy discussed on this site would be a huge benefit, and time saver.

I will continue to tell others of this great opportunity, as this is a very simple way of "paying" for this opportunity.

Jack

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 am

Tarbaby wrote:Could you try checking out this link to the games on the French language forum, JQ?

They are in Public Space there and I don't think you even have to be registered to the French forum to view them. You won't need to speak French to see what each game is all about. :wink:
Yes, I can see the threads in the link above even though I'm not a registered member of the French forum.

But no, I still have no clue what they're about, since I don't understand French.

Duk Lee

Post by Duk Lee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:56 pm

linda2 wrote: - One dilemma that I had when starting a couple of weeks ago, was whether to start at the beginning of the course from lesson 1, or jump into the middle and join in with the discussions/get support from my peers.
Hello Linda,

If you allow me, please....

One thing pops in my mind is that if you start from lesson 1, you may be quite isolated, not getting much feedback or interaction from the group, until you catch up with the current practice pieces and discussion.

I am in the group D2. I am sure each lesson has its own characteristics and purpose under Mr. Delcamp's intention, but as far as a difficulty level between lesson 1 and lesson now(?) is concerned, I do not see much differences. I suspect that other groups would be in a similar situation.
Whichever group you are in, I would suggest you to jump right on to the current.
Just my thought....
Thanks.

-duk

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:31 pm

Duk Lee wrote:
linda2 wrote: - One dilemma that I had when starting a couple of weeks ago, was whether to start at the beginning of the course from lesson 1, or jump into the middle and join in with the discussions/get support from my peers.
Hello Linda,

If you allow me, please....

One thing pops in my mind is that if you start from lesson 1, you may be quite isolated, not getting much feedback or interaction from the group, until you catch up with the current practice pieces and discussion.

I am in the group D2. I am sure each lesson has its own characteristics and purpose under Mr. Delcamp's intention, but as far as a difficulty level between lesson 1 and lesson now(?) is concerned, I do not see much differences. I suspect that other groups would be in a similar situation.
Whichever group you are in, I would suggest you to jump right on to the current.
Just my thought....

Thanks.

-duk
It's true you won't get much feedback from those who started earlier. There is, of course, the comments of those that preceded you.

I started late and sometimes feel I am operating in a vacuum. I did D01-1 but didn't have a recording setup yet and wasn't yet officially registered so my participation was silent. Doing D01-2 in early Feb. I caught the tail end of the last group. In D01-3; nothing.

I was hoping the moderators would take a more active role for us late comers but so far, not.

I do think the early lessons lay a foundation on which the later lessons, through repetition, can build. It's not an easy choice to go it alone. The lure of community is strong but I am going to try to stay the course and work through those first lessons for at least one week each. I seem to be the only one working on D01-3 and I find myself rushing the posts before I'm ready just to try and catch up.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Bob and Duk - thanks for your comments, which are both very relevant to me personally. I initially thought I was a DO2 level student, so your comment, Duk, that the level doesn't change very much is rather useful..... well, it would have been, had I not discovered that I have some deficiencies in my basic technique (highlighted by the excellent Polyphony exercises and damping signs :chaud: ), and so decided I was better suited to starting at DO1. By jumping in at DO1 level 5, I missed out on developing the damping technique in Lesson 1, and probably some more useful tips in lessons 2-4 - so I understand why you are starting from the beginning, Bob. On the positive side, since the lessons are unlocked, I can go back and read the threads and practice my weak areas. I do like the community feel... and perhaps need the peer pressure :wink:

BTW related to my earlier posting above - there is an excellent posting on damping technique in the DO1 lesson 1 by dragonbones, which I would recommend adding to any future technique 'resource' library that might get developed.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:20 pm

JQ. wrote: No, I can't see them. This the message I get clicking JFD'S link:

"You are not authorised to read this forum."
M. Delcamp has fixed this and the games forums should now to visible to all members, though participation is still restricted to online students (for whom they were set up) and mods.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 pm

A number of students have understandably commented on the lack of feedback from teachers and more experienced forum members on their recordings. It had been hoped that teachers on the forum would be able to spare some time to drop in and offer their insights from time to time, as invited in the initial announcement of the courses, but unfortunately this has not happened so far. M. Delcamp has said that if any student particularly wants his feedback on their playing and is able to post in Spanish, he or she can post in the equivalent section of the Spanish forum http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/v ... m.php?f=26, where M. Delcamp is endeavouring to respond personally to all students. Unfortunately he doesn't have time to do so on all forums, and the Spanish forum is the one most in need of reinvigoration.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Morgan Peline

Post by Morgan Peline » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 am

Mr Delcamp,

Thank you so much for these lessons. I am enjoying myself immensely.

May I make one suggestion. When you alter the .pdf files is it possible to write a short description of what has been altered? I printed the whole D01 Pdf a few weeks ago, if I re-print the new pdf, it will be a big waste of paper.

I would like to conserve resources in my small way!

Thank you!

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:20 am

Mostly the changes are alternate fingering, damping marks and positions of yellow (hard bit) markers.

I did the same and printed the whole file.
I now download the new version each time but only print the pages for the lesson.
I also print out the Lesson post and keep them all together as a set.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Thank you Jean-Francois for putting this site together -that's a great gift to us already, and if that's not enough, the online lessons take it to the next level! I am in the D03 group and have really benefited from the disciplined and organized approach to technique and musicianship. I hope you do continue with higher groups in the future. Your videos of the pieces and exercises are very helpful, both for technique and ideas in interpretation.

It might be interesting to hear how you as a player developed and overcame some of the challenges that we all face when starting out and working up to higher levels of proficiency. Were you ever discouraged, and how did you deal with it for instance? Was there some technical skill that was very hard to master and what did you do about it?
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Marilyn W

Post by Marilyn W » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 am

Thank you for all your time and effort providing online lessons. I have progressed amazingly as I enjoy a structured method of learning.
One request would be if the finger movements on the video's could be a little more exagerated as I am having difficulty seeing where they are placed. For example in DO1 Lesson 6 Ricercar there is a g sharp which is the first string on the 4th fret. However the next one is an A and I have assumed that it is on the 1st string but the 5th fret. It sounds right and feels right but I am not able to tell for certain from the video.
I guess this will all come with time but is quite difficult for a person who is a real beginner.
The lessons are inspirational and easy to follow from a beginners point of view.
Many thanks once again
Marilyn Ward

Linda

Post by Linda » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:22 am

Dear Mr Delcamp,

Thank you very much for having these lessons available to everyone. It is a priceless gift!

Lessons are going along fine. They are very helpful and challenging. I have been practicing along, but I have not been able to do any recording that is clear enough to post, as of yet.

Thank you very much,
linda (linea)
linea

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Jean-François Delcamp wrote:Hello everyone,

Each student can record several or, preferably, all the pieces and exercises which I shall give out for each lesson. After a week to ten days of work, no more, the student will upload his first recordings in a single post.

I ask all students to listen to the recordings of each of the other students of the same level, then to give their encouragement, opinions, and if possible their advice. Then the student, after having received that feedback, can post a second series of recordings taking into account the advice and opinions of the other members of the forum. All advice is welcome, and I am counting on the assistance of all members to help, encourage and advise students and finally to enable them to progress.
I included this partial quote from Jean-Francois' original instructions as a plea to the more advanced students (and perhaps some kind teachers with a philanthropic bent) to offer more critiques, encouragement, and constructive criticism of the attempts here. Even if you're a level one student, but further along in the lessons, please take a moment to look back and help the students that are behind with any difficulties that they are having. I pledge to do likewise, and have been endeavoring to do so.

Also, from the student's perspective, I think there is a tendency to try to get the lesson as perfect as possible on the first go-round, (what we think is perfect) even if it takes two or three weeks, upload it, and then move on, especially those of us that started late. That isn't what the instructions called for - and I am also guilty of this as charged. Originally, the previous lessons were locked when the new one started. I am not advocating that we go back to that, as it was inconvenient for we later students, but rather that we police ourselves. I will for my part, try to do better in the future. Hope I don't sound like too much of a "forum nanny". :roll:
Last edited by Scott_NyLonChaney on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Okay, I forgot the instructions about posting after no more than 10 days and putting everything in a single post (i.e. so you can't do a bunch of takes on each piece and pick the best one - guilty as charged). It will be hard to put something out there w/ a bunch of mistakes in it, but looks like we're supposed to. I will try to reform myself!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Scott_NyLonChaney

Post by Scott_NyLonChaney » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Jeremy Hickerson wrote: It will be hard to put something out there w/ a bunch of mistakes in it, but looks like we're supposed to.
Well, I think the thought was that we put out our best effort in the given time. (I too, do multiple "takes" as I actually seem to make more mistakes when the camcorder is "watching" me!) I think it's perfectly normal and good to try and correct what we know is wrong. Getting the material out in the open quickly gives the other participants a chance to expose errors that we tend to miss ourselves, and gives us an opportunity to correct those errors before we ingrain them as habits. Someone's signature on this forum is "Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent." I think that's a wise saying. But all this is only IMHO of course.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”