How is it going?

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Re: How is it going?

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Okay, maybe I read more into the phrase "in a single post" than was intended. I guess this doesn't necessarily mean a single take of several pieces one-after-the-other (which would make multiple takes a lot harder because you would then have to do multiple takes of the group of pieces).
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 am

I would like to acknowledge and thank GeoffB who not only has done yeoman work at translating but was kind enough to pick up the slack when someone had a question about the lessons and there were no takers to reply.

Thanks Geoff. :merci:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:04 am

Thank you, Bob, it's very kind of you to say so. I try to glance at new posts here from time to time to see whether things are going smoothly, though unfortunately I don't have enough time to listen to the recordings or make any more of a contribution, since I'm kept pretty busy behind the scenes in other parts of the forum. I'm always impressed, though, at the extent to which students are helping one another. This must be the best-behaved and most generous-spirited part of the whole forum!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Julio Galindo

Post by Julio Galindo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 am

I´m in D3 and haven´t been able to post anything for the last month and a half. I really had to focus on a different project, but I´m back. I´m definitely looking forward to the higher levels. Before I got really busy, I was able to post both my homework for D3 and Lágrima. I can play 80% of Recuerdos at a good tremolo speed It´s really exciting! I really cannot thank you enough for this forum. It´s just awesome!

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Julio,

What are the tough parts for you in "Recuerdos"? I have also been working on this piece for a long time, and for me the main problem has been speed overall and a clear melody (probably because I'm not playing the tremolo fast enough). Just a few days ago I started to see some progress on this.
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

joss_adley

Post by joss_adley » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 am

I'm a late arrival to the online lessons, having only jumped in a few weeks ago. Having had some years of self-taught experience, I've been coursing through the D1 lesson set which I've been finding very well structured and a pleasure to progress through. As with many others, I hit a brick wall at the simultaneous apoyando thumb & finger strokes in chapter 5, but with Mr Delcamp's encouragement ("take heart, you will be able to do it!") and a bit of practice it has all fallen into place. I think that in terms of structure, pacing and presentation the course is excellent - hard to see how to improve the format really.
As a latecomer I havn't been posting videos of the earlier classes as everybody else seems to have already moved on - I'm hoping to catch up with the rest of the group for the last lesson or so. I wonder if there are many other students in a similar position?

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Joss,
I too am a late comer. I am currently working on lesson D01-6 although things aren't going so well right now. I am vulnerable to severe weather changes. I can predict a storm a few days ahead because I start getting sinus headaches. Something to do with sudden barometric pressure changes. With the big storm that passed through North Carolina it turned into a migraine that left me semi-braindead for almost a week; staring at the walls and trying to remember what shoes do. I vaguely remember practicing once but it was very pathetic.

Anyway, if you don't want to post a video, you can still read the comments of those that preceded us. Most of the problems found with the early lessons are common to everybody. Still, seeing yourself play can give some good insights into things you may not be aware of while playing. One thing I discovered was that I was clipping the notes short by lifting my left hand fingers too soon.

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Sun May 08, 2011 11:27 pm

First of all, I want to let you know that I would not be enjoying the guitar as much as I am without your tremendous work on this training program. I am working through D01 at my own pace and am about half way through. I could not keep up to the postings at each lesson as it has taken me time to learn and move forward. At 70 years I am afraid the eyes and fingers don't work as well as they should and, of course, playing from memory may be beyond my current capabilities. Nevertheless, I have found the lessons very productive and the incremental learning steps have been very effective. My wife of 46 years even enjoys listening to my practice sessions. I am using another web site as well but invariably when I get to your lessons, she asks "Is that Delcamp?", as she really enjoys the music. I do apologize again for not posting my playing and realize that I am in non-compliance with one of my commitments. My biggest problem is not with the actual playing but with the muting. That is where the old fingers get tangled. I believe it will come and the lessons and music instruction help.

I have also noticed on the web some negative comments on the administration of the Delcamp program in terms of your requirements. I reject those complaints and suggest the standards you have set and the requirements are absolutely appropriate.

Your program has opened the door for me to classical guitar and no matter how far I get, I will be forever grateful.

Finally, I do want to thank the people who post on this site. I have learned a tremendous amount from them as well.

Merci beaucoup!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 am

That's a heart-warming post, Jim. If it's any consolation, I think that a lot of people find damping to be quite a challenge for the coordination, a bit like the old trick of patting your head while rubbing your stomach, and it's probably something many beginners don't tackle until a later stage, but it will come if you keep trying. You may need to play very slowly at first to get used to what your fingers need to do. Good luck!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri May 13, 2011 6:12 pm

I have found an interesting aspect of learning a musical instrument that I never understood as a teenager playing trumpet for 6 years in concert and marching bands.

It always bothered me that I would reach a plateau with any new piece of music in about a week. After that, I constantly had trouble focusing and would make mistakes in parts that I knew very well. The mistakes would clear up if I reached the point of playing from memory. At the time, I (mistakenly) ascribed this to a weakness in reading sheet music. With these guitar lessons I am finally coming to realize it is simply a matter of focus. As I learn the music, continuing to work from the sheet becomes a distraction. My attention is divided between the guitar, the music and the reading.

This morning, I went through every piece in lesson D01-6 flawlessly while my music stand stood over in the corner. Yesterday, while playing from the music I constantly made those dumb flubs that I know I shouldn't be making.

If anyone is having that same sort of 'plateau' experience, try playing without the music. It may just be a matter of focus.

Peter Johnson

Post by Peter Johnson » Sat May 14, 2011 9:48 am

I feel not only guilty but incapable of making a recording on my pc. I am afraid this is really because of the fact that I am incredibly busy with a business project at the moment, which I am but since I find the time to practice surely I should be able to make a video with my digital camera which would suffice.
I even find myself whistling some of the tunes from the D02 selection in the shower, especially the Giuliani Ecossaise OP22 no 10, which really does sound like a bagpipe tune with its underscored drone. This has been an eyeopener to me re: Giuliani who I believed to be a very dry composer when actually he is far from it. I even tried playing the whole tune with rest strokes which sounds much more forceful and makes more of a statement.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:00 am

I feel adrift after the completion of the year end exams. I started on D01-8 with intentions of posting in all of the D01 series but I got the D02 scores mixed up with D01-8 and started doing them instead. Now I'm wondering what to do. Go on, back up or what. I currently have the D01-10 and D02-1 scores on my stand and I'm cycling through both but I feel as though I missed recording that lovely valse in D01-9 and after really clicking with it too. Sigh.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:34 am

Yes, after the brisk pace of the lessons and the final rush to the deadline of the exams, I can well imagine that it must feel strange now that the pressure has suddenly disappeared.

There is still a trickle of new members starting on the lessons, so although no new lessons are being posted at present, there will still be students working their way through the existing ones and there is nothing to stop anyone from rejoining a course at any stage, and maybe helping out late-joining students in the process.

New courses at levels 1 to 4 will start up in September. Levels 1 to 3 will be "updated". I'm not sure exactly what that will entail, but my guess is that the existing lessons will be moved to a separate subforum, and lessons will then be posted afresh, one by one, as before, with any necessary updates, so that a new intake of students can work on them with the usual deadlines. Existing students will be able to retake a course at the same level if they wish, or of course go on to the next level.

So you may find it useful between now and September to consolidate what you've learnt so far at level 1 and fill in any gaps, including that valse, with a view to starting on level 2 with the new class in September. If you have filled in all the gaps at level 1 before September, you could then maybe make a start on the existing level 2 while you're waiting. But of course it's entirely your choice, and whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:55 am

Hi! :) Does anybody know what happened to the spanish forum? 8) A lot of students of the on line classes are waiting for the exam results :oops: but the page is not working :( . Best from Elías. I´m a student in the spanish forum.
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:51 am

It appears to be OK now. The results are all out and students have done very well. Congratulations to all who took part!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”