How is it going?

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Robert Goodwin

Re: How is it going?

Post by Robert Goodwin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:19 pm

I am grateful for these lessons and I don't mean to take anything away from the generous gift of Professor Delcamp time and effort but I have a request for Professor Delcamp. Could we please get a pdf version of the lessons without the yellow highlights.

I have a decent printer and still I have to pencil in the music in the yellow areas. Sometimes I miss seeing something. Often I have to use a magnifying class to be sure I understand what I am looking at before I mark it up so I can read it. With all that, I still make mistakes in remarking and notation. With normal room lighting, I have no trouble sight reading the unhighlighted areas.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Bob, I put your point to M. Delcamp. He suggests experimenting with the printer settings. He says he gets perfect results by setting his printer to black and white printing.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:23 am

Hi Robert! As GeoffB writes, usually there´s no problem with the printing. I use to print the material on a cyber and I can distinguish the yellow parts with no problem at all. Perhaps you should play with the printer settings. Best from Elías.

By the way, I have other problem, for me it is impossible to connect to the Spanish forum since about one month. Last saturday (that is 30th of july) I went to the city where I was born (Ciudad Serdán Puebla, about 100 Km from Puebla). There I tried to connect to the Spanish forum and it was impossible. My vacations are at the end, next monday I will try to connect at my working place where I have no problem, if I can not then for the next course perhaps I will register in the English forum.
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Elías,

The Spanish forum problems have been affecting a lot of members in South America, including some of the moderators of that forum. You'll find a thread about it here, and it would be useful if you could report your experiences there. M. Delcamp has tried various solutions without success. He made a change yesterday which he thought seemed to speed up the forum, which had been running very slowly, though I don't know whether that will have helped your situation. Please let us know if you see any improvement.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Geoff! My vacations are finished, now I´m at my working place and the connection to the Spanish forum is OK. Today at home I´m going to try once more and will keep in touch in order to inform you about the problem.

Elías
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello, I would like to start by saying a big thank you to all the people who make this community work, and offer us this great tutorials and help on the guitar learning.

One suggestion I would give is that it will be nice for you to have a FAQ section for all as newbies in the simple questions, such as what is an arch on the top of a clef means (I just asked this question before i wrote this :) )
Other than that I think the course is perfect. You might already have that so Ignore this in that case.

Best regards

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Some faq prototypes in case a mod has the time to put together a faq.

Q. Will I be directly tutored by M Delcamp?

A. No. M Delcamp provides the lessons which have been carefully tailored to systematically bring a guitar student through the complex process of learning to play classical guitar. Your fellow students and active forum members, especially instructors, are encouraged to participate in offering suggestions, positive criticism, and encouragement to the students participating in the classes.

Q. Can I use just any guitar?

A. You will need to use a nylon string guitar with the 12th fret at the body of the guitar.

Q. What is that long curving bar over the top of the staff?

A. That is used to indicate musical phrases. Generally, phrases can be practiced in isolation and still sound musical. You are encouraged to concentrate practice time on the phrases that contain more difficult sections.

Q. How do I record myself in order to participate in the lessons?

A. You will need to do some research to decide what methods to use for recording. A good place to start is HERE.

Q. What are the yellow highlights in the some of the lessons for?

A. They indicate sections that are considered more difficult. A student should spend more of their practice time on these parts.

EricIsdaman

Post by EricIsdaman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:04 am

Yes this seems very nice, indeed.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:26 pm

EricIsdaman wrote:One suggestion I would give is that it will be nice for you to have a FAQ section for all as newbies in the simple questions, such as what is an arch on the top of a clef means (I just asked this question before i wrote this :) )
Robert Goodwin wrote:Some faq prototypes in case a mod has the time to put together a faq.
Thanks, Eric, that's a good idea, and thanks, Robert, for your very useful prototypes. I'll copy them into an FAQ topic and invite further items for it as we go along.

Geoff

p.s. Done: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687
Classical Guitar Forum.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 am

Dr. Mr Delcamp,
I enjoy the D03 lessons very much and also try a bit of the D04 now and then.

A few things things to optimize:

In D04 lesson 3(or 2?) there is an arpeggio study, where it is mentioned to leave all fingers on the strings during practice in order to minimize excessive movement. To me it was not clear if the RH or LH was meant. So, I asked in the D04 forum: everybody thought it was the LH (playing on the neck). Now, in D03-5 there is an arpeggio study where it is explained what is meant with "leaving all fingers on the strings": the RH was meant. Apparently everybody who did not do D03-5 before D04 or forgot about it could misunderstand.
So my point: I realise that there are left handed and right handed players, but, is it not a good idea to always mention LH and RH when this is relevant and state in lesson D0x-1 that when mentioning LH and RH ALWAYS a righthanded player is meant (or a left handed player, as long as it is defined what the LH and RH ere doing).

Second, when a new lessons is uploaded, I noticed that almost always the sentence "start uploading your recording after [date]" at the end has to be changed/corrected. To avoid this, maybe change this sentence to : "start uploading your recordings a week after the posting date of this lesson". Just to save extra work.

What everybody already mentioned: I also would like to have a teacher pop in and look/listen to our recordings, maybe at least one each lessons, say after two weeks of practice. Also, I realise this is a bit much too ask.

Lastly, I just discovered the "search by level" header in the Lessons sections. This is a great feature and I am very very glad this was added!

Thank you mr Delcamp and all moderators for making this the -BEST EVER- guitar forum!!!
Coen
:bravo: :merci: :delcamp_fiesta:

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Coen van Dijk wrote:Dr. Mr Delcamp,
What everybody already mentioned: I also would like to have a teacher pop in and look/listen to our recordings, maybe at least one each lessons, say after two weeks of practice. Also, I realise this is a bit much too ask.
I agree with Coen, and I have one suggestion though I am afraid that this is perhaps a little too comfortable (demanding).
Here we have nine registered teachers. Well, if we ask them, maybe would not be a problem that each of them once in two months (9 teachers and 4 groups) peek into one of the Student groups and write some feedback on our work.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:01 am

Hello
Thank you Prof. Delcamp. I started in D03 last year and this year I have been practicing D04 and my playing and self confidence have improved tremendously. I have played my first solo performance (albeit before friends) during these past two year. Thank you.

Matt Bell

Post by Matt Bell » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:15 am

Mr. Delcamp, I am pleased with the lessons. They seems to be the right amount, level, of difficulty for a beginner and I am proud that I can read some of the notes by heart now. I finished Lesson 5 and have been practicing lesson 6 now and will post my lessons soon, but I am having a little trouble with Ricercar. I thank my fellow contributors and students for the criticism of my playing. I am committed to progressing through all four years and look forward to these lessons and the hard work ahead. Thank you for making these lessons available.
Regards,
Matthew Bell

RaphaelPazos

Post by RaphaelPazos » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Hello all,

Mr. Delcamp thank you very much for what you are doing. Some people really don't have the time, or $$ to attend a good music school and to some extent, this is the best there is out there in terms of money free musical education. I say money free because it's not 100% free and thank you for not making it 100% free! We still have to post messages, post videos and spread the forum ads which I think is a wonderful strategy to bind us to the group.
There are a lot of musical theroy websites out there. But I'm currently at D01 and I was having a bit of difficulty on some aspects like key signatures and joinings of tempo/dotted notes and such. Finding a good musical theory website can be hard especially for us just starting. Lot's of them say different things about the same topics. If you could appoint a couple of Delcamp's approved theory website so we can try and pick up the grasp of it, would be very nice!

to Mr. Goodwin: I was having the same problem. I've set my printer to Black and white, and to print on Economy mode. Voilá, the blur from the yellow and specially red parts was gone. Hope this helps.

Thank you all,
Raphael

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”