D02 Classical guitar lesson 6

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 6

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:04 am

Hello everyone,
if you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 78 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.
Descending slurs are produced by pulling the string with a left hand finger (and letting it snap off the fingertip). The more parallel this movement is to the plane of the fingerboard (i.e. towards the adjacent string where there is one), the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces with a phrase structure of 4 bars. Phrase structure is the division of the larger musical phrase into parts of equal length, with the most common division being into sections of 4 bars. This division is linked not only to walking, but also to dance, poetry and singing.
- page 30 Thoinot ARBEAU (1519-1595) PAVANE
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
- page 48 Matteo CARCASSI (1792-1853) SAUTEUSE opus 59

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 78 number 19, Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS – LIGADOS
- page 33 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) ANDANTINO
I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Clément Pic

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 6

Post by Clément Pic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:04 am

D02 - Ferdinand CARULLI - Andantino in G major
Key:
We are in G major, that is to say the the piece is written using the notes of the scale of G major: G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G.

Form:
This piece is made up of two parts, each of two sections:
AB
CD

The first section ends in a half cadence, that is to say on the fifth degree (V) of the scale.
When you look at the bass note, you see that it's a D. In G major, the D is the fifth of the scale (G-A-B-C-D: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
The second section finishes on a perfect cadence, that is to say a sequence of fifth to first (V-I)

Each section is divided into two phrases:
[a1-a2] [b1-b2]
[c1-c1] [d1-d2]

The C section consists of the same phrase twice.
You will notice that the second phrases of sections A and B start with an anacrusis, that is to say slightly before the start of the bar (or measure). The anacrusis serves to build momentum.
The anacrusis comes from dancing. If you count your steps each time you place your foot down, you count 1-2, 1-2... With the anacrusis, you count from the moment you lift the foot: AND 1-2, 1-2.

For this reason, I suggest you articulate the d2 phrase with an anacrusis. The melodic line being in the bass (the final E in bar 14, then C, D, D, G).

To go further:
Thematic material:

The A section is constructed with parallel thirds. The accompaniment is provided by a G pedal note in the middle voice.
The a1 phrase is an ascending line (in green).
The a2 phrase is a descending line after an ascending anacrusis (in blue).

The B section continues in b1 the descending line of a2 (in blue) with a small ornamentation which follows the same principle as the anacrusis. In b2, it repeats in summary the whole descending line so far.

In d1, you can recognise elements of the descending and ascending phrases. The first bar of d1 is similar to the last bar of a2 with a different rhythmic structure
Ferdinand Carulli Andantino opus 27.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks Clement for these helpful observations!

Clément Pic

Post by Clément Pic » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 am

Pleasure is mine!

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Clement, That is great information. I have been trying to learn theory and this kind of insight helps to enforce my knowledge. I believe the more we understand about music it will help us in improvisation and playing in general.
Thanks
Jack

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Dear All

It looks like a busy week ahead so I am posting this rather early...hopefully better than not at all...
Have a good weekend and a good practice.
Thank you Clement for your observations which were very useful.
[media]https://youtu.be/1NGpZcYippc[/media]
Hasta la vista
Ned

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Hello everyone,
Here are my first recordings of our pieces. I've included all of them for comparison sake.
Arbeau Pavane.mp3
I tried to emphasize the damped notes but now think the notes sound almost cut off.
Carulli, Ferdinand Andantino (0pera 27).mp3
I concentrated on using rest stroke for the melody notes
Carcassi, Mattetro Saueteuse Op 59.mp3
Complete with one repeat too many.
slur exercises D02 lesson6.mp3
and last but not least....

Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charis

Post by Charis » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 am

Hello everybody,

My name is Charis and I started those lessons two weeks ago so I 'm still in lesson no.2 but I always enjoy your playing. Jack, your recordings were really good, I really enjoyed them. Ned, I really enjoyed your video as well. I like that you don' t stick rigidly to the time which is something that makes your playing more lively. I believe that if you tried to alter the volume of your sound during the piece it would be even better. Finally, trying to keep your left hand thumb lower (in the middle of the neck), touching the neck rather than holding it, would help you move your fingers up and down on the strings much easier. It will help you in faster pieces as well.

I hope to listen more of your recordings in the future,
Have a good week everybody and see you around.
Charis

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 am

Ned, well played.
I think you should go for a softer tone, perhaps playing more over the sound hole or a slightly less perpendicular right hand.
Jack I really enjoy your pieces. I like your soft tone. :casque:
I think that these pieces are easier having completed the lessons to this point. The new thing this time it seems is multi voice pieces.
One thing that could be improved is contrast between the repeats. Like the "echo" in the last lesson there needs a little more phrasing by volume, crescendo and decrescendo, pont. etc. to make the music flow.
You should try to get the duration of the notes in the exercise a little more even, they're a little swing tempo.

Now all I have to do is practice what I preach :shock:

PS Jack, I hope your not going to drop the video altogether. I know it's a pain to set up but think it's better that we can see each other.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:59 pm

RichardJ wrote:I think you should go for a softer tone
Yes, I agree. I think my guitar has a fairly bright tone, it's a spruce top and the primitive inbuilt mike I use for recording also limits the resonance of my recordings. All of which sounds like a series of hopeless excuses. Yes, I think I attack the strings too hard sometimes. I will see what I can do to practice the piece with a gentle and softer tone.

Charis - thank you for your comments. You have spotted my left hand limitation - what Richard called my "country grip" - accurately. It is a bad habit from acoustic folk playing which I am finding hard to break.

Jack - it's good to hear your recordings.
The Carulli Andantino is melodious and steady, you have a good tone. I agree with Richard that you could add more more musicality to the piece, which will probably come with more practice.
I am not sure what you are doing with the Arbeau Pavane. It sounds to me as though you are damping the melody as well as the dissonant notes which are supposed to be muffled. It is hard to tell without watching you but it sounds like you care muffling notes which ought to be sounding...
The Matteo CARCASSI SAUTEUSE sounds good and has a light and playful feel.
Your slur exercise sounds a bit staccato and the hammer ons and pull offs want to sound more steady and even, it may be worth watching Jean-François Delcamp's video again once or twice.
I sound like a right old nagging auntie, don't I? :oops:
But really I am probably saying what I need to learn myself.
Keep up the practice...best wishes

Ned

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Ned - I was going to make a similar point to the one just made by Richard. I think you have an enviable RH position and positive fingering but the sound is a little sharp. It might be the microphone/recording setup, but I wonder if it's worth experimenting with the balance of flesh/nail or nail length/shape? Although it is confidently played, I wonder too whether you could bring more rubato into the piece. In the last lesson, I think Jack managed this well with the Sor piece.

Jack - Again, like Richard, I was going to ask if you could setup the video. I think it really does help with feedback. Having said that, your pieces do sound good. In contrast to the last lesson, you seem to be starting with a version, particularly with the Carulli, where the melody and expression are already there, and (again, unlike the last lesson) I sense you like the piece(s). [I hope I don't sound presumptious!] One final thing, I think you are making a mistake I initially made in the Sauteuse - In the third (and seventh) bar of the second section the last note is a 'b' not a 'g'

Here are my recordings. I've decided to upload them all. I think the ligados and the Sauteuse need most work, but I would welcome any ideas you may have...

Carulli - Andantino
[media]https://youtu.be/fhLYLfpF0Ss[/media]

Arbeau - Pavane
[media]https://youtu.be/xvLHxGAsuqM[/media]

Carcassi - Sauteuse
[media]https://youtu.be/qnTMlWKLEhk[/media]
D02 p78 n19 n20
[media]https://youtu.be/8KNOSkvW6Qk[/media]
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:13 am

Ned
Thanks for your helpful observations. I really appreciate your feedback. I agree with you on all counts. I am trying to damp the notes in the Pavane and it's cutting the other notes off as well.I find it very difficult to only touch the indicated strings without touching the others.I better slow down and perhaps use a different approach to this. I have been concentrating on all my practices to be more melodic and evoke more feeling into the pieces with tone changes and volume changes. Hopefully when I post my videos in a week or so this will be obvious.

Stewart,
I like your technique. You are very concientous about your precision, and though you are missing some notes, as we all do in the beginning, you are careful about your finger placement and appear to be developing good basic hand and finger positions. You perform your vibrato well, and your slurs well done. It's hard to be too critical of anyone when we place our first videos up as it's so early in the development of the piece. But your tone seems good and the Pavane really sounded rich and deep.

Jack

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Stewart your playing sound really good.

My tip for bars 10-11of Pavane (the yellow ones if I remember correctly) is to keep finger 2 on the 4th string, until the e in bar 12, as a guide/pivot finger. When the third finger plays the A the 2nd finger can rest on the e even though this string is not played. Then it is ready for the e in bar 12.

In the exercise you keep your fingers nice and close to the frets. I am struggling to stop mine from pointing at the sky :shock:

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments, I'm a bit unclear about the fingering suggestion you made though. On my score I think bar 10 starts with the G#,E,low E chord followed by the E,C at the start of the yellow section (with a damping mark under). The second finger slides up to F# and then I would assume you either use 4 to play the G on the 4th string or play it open string. To play the A(with 3),low A next you have to lift the second finger don't you?

It's funny, I looked at my fingers in the ligados and thought - that doesn't look right! I looked at M. Delcamp's version, but the camera position/left hand usage made it a bit tricky to compare.

Thanks for your comments too, Jack. I had a wonderful young teacher once who was keen to emphasise placement and the balance between flesh and nail. I feel as though I'm starting again really, but perhaps a little of that has sunk in?
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Charis

Post by Charis » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 am

Hello Stewart.

Your sound is just beautiful. I really enjoyed all of them but especially Carulli' s Andantino was great. Obviously you have managed to find a good combination of nail and fingertips which I haven' t yet (but I 'm still trying). Pavane and Sauteuse need a bit of practice though. As I suggested Ned, it would be better if you tried to keep the thumb of your left hand a bit lower so you will be able to reach the strings without moving your hand. As about the legato you mentioned, in the exercise with the middle finger you kept your other fingers too far away. This is probably what you found strange when you watched the video.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”