D01 Classical guitar lesson 7

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 7

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:23 am

Hello everyone,
if you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Improvisation work - D01
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.

1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.
impro LA - A.PNG
2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.
impro SOL LA - G A.PNG
3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
impro SOL LA SI - G A B.PNG
4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
impro RE SOL LA SI - D G A B.PNG

Finally, we'll look at 8 tunes, pages 33 to 38. These tunes will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
Anonyme : Quand j'étais chez mon père
Jean-François Delcamp : Bref n°2
Anonyme : Savez-vous planter des choux ?
Jean-François Delcamp : Bref n°1

Anonyme : O bella ciao : In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in English).
Anonyme : No le daba el sol
Anonyme : Ah ! mon beau chateau !
Fernando Sor : Leçon II opus 60

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.
Anonyme : Quand j'étais chez mon père
Anonyme : O bella ciao : In order to mark the beat yourself, you need to count the smallest rhythmic values out loud as you play, as indicated on the score: "1 e 2 e 3 e 4 e" ("1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" in English).

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:( + ♫ = :)

Clément Pic

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 7

Post by Clément Pic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:23 am

Quand j'étais chez mon père.

Key

A major.
The piece uses the notes of the scale of A major (A B C# D E F# G# A)

Form.
This piece is in binary form:
AB
Each section consists of two phrases:
a1 a2
b1 b2

Comparing a1 and a2, the notes are not the same. Nevertheless, the rhythm is identical. The "harmonic path" is symmetrical: from the first degree of the scale (the tonic) to the fifth (the dominant) for a1 concluding in a half cadence and from the fifth to the first for a2 concluding in a perfect cadence.

A half cadence is where the musical phrase ends on the fifth degree of the scale. A perfect cadence is where the musical phrase ends with a sequence of the fifth followed by the first (in root position, which we'll come to later).

Only the end of the phrase differs between b1 and b2.

We say that a1 and b1 are the antecedent phrases of a2 and b2.
This is more especially noticeable in section A
a1 antecedent phrase: half cadence
a2 consequent phrase: perfect cadence

chezmonpere.jpg

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Clément
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:19 pm

This lesson was a tall order for me. Anyway, here goes:
impro-4notes.mp3
When I try to improvise, I tend to drift into existing rhythmic patterns or melodies...Here, you may recognize echoes of, "My Poor Old Slave," which I could not resist bringing to a conclusion, so it runs 30 seconds rather than 20. If I want something more original, I have to reflect, calculate...and compose.
quand jetais_chez_mon_pere.mp3
There's a false bass note here and I'd like the whole thing to be cleaner, but at least I kept it going.
o_bella_ciao.mp3
The act of counting out loud--numbers and all--tends to distract me from tonal considerations, and certainly from fingering. And as you'll hear, when I come to a musical hesitation I also hold back on my counting! I've lost the habit of working that way, since I've been in early-music groups that simply marked the beat, or tactus, in music that didn't originally didn't have bar lines.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi,

Penelope -- it's nice to hear that your playing continues to improve. You're getting much more tone out of your guitar now.
...and here are my attempts.
improvDGAB.mp3
QuandJétaisChezMonPère.mp3
OBellaCiao.mp3

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Mike, thanks for your encouragement. I especially like your improvisation--with just those four notes, I'd never have thought it could be so lively!

James Williams

Post by James Williams » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:06 pm

I think I've finally caught up to you guys!

Penelope, I think your improvisation is very good. Your tone has improved greatly. I would not worry about sounding like another tune, it happens to everyone. I have to force my mind to ignore everything but what I am improvising, and even then I still end up slipping into some other tune eventually.

Good job on Quand Jetais Chez mon Pere, again the tone is starting to improve. I think it will all come together for you soon. O Bella Ciao is pretty difficult due to the rhythm. It seems like you've got that aspect of it down for the most part. It's affecting the tone a bit, but that's okay. :) :bravo:

Mike, your improvisation is very lively. I like how you added accompaniment - something I hadn't thought of doing. It's neat to see what everyone comes up with.

Nice job with Quand Jetais Chez mon Pere. Tone and rhythm sound good. Only thing I noticed was that you missed the D in measure 9 and 13, in the melody. You're probably aware of it already though. Otherwise it sounds very musical.

Very nice sounding O Bella Ciao. You have the counting and rhythm down, and the tone is there. Keep at it! :)

Here are my submissions:

QUAND J'ÉTAIS CHEZ MON PÈRE
1.mp3
For some reason the sound of this recording came out much nicer than any of my previous tries. Odd. I generally like how this turned out, except for a little hesitation in places.

O BELLA CIAO
5.mp3
Again, except for a little hesitation while trying to figure out what my fingers had to do next, I think this came out okay.

IMPROVISATION
10.mp3
I was in a march like mood when I did this. Another attempt was more like a funeral dirge.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Mon May 02, 2011 6:11 am

Hello James,

nicely played. A hesitation or two but basically quite solid. It's great that you've caught up -- keep up the pace! Thanks for the feedback. Yup, I missed a couple of notes on Quand.. but if I had waited for a mistake-free take I'd probably still be waiting. I was very happy about my rhythm in O Bella Ciao. It was the first time I managed to count through out loud. It really helps. I am trying to do it more regularly but I don't find it easy. I also think I made progress on recording technique. The only thing I did differently was to place the microphone about 1 meter away. Before I had it just a few centimeters from my right hand. I think tt results in a fuller sound, more balance between trebles and basses.

joss_adley

Post by joss_adley » Wed May 18, 2011 7:29 am

I'm still trailing weeks behind but feel that I should post nonetheless. Well done to those who've posted before me, all sounding good! One thing I would say is that it would be useful from a critiqueing point of view to see video as well as audio. Also, everybody seems to have a far better sound quality than me - mine sounds I'm twanging a rubber band. I probably need to invest in a mic.

Anyway, here's the clips:
[media]https://youtu.be/ePZ_GHLPe94[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Q8-sORn-G5E[/media]

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri May 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi everyone,

To all; "Nice work" :bravo:

I hope this isn't too delicate a subject but I find that to make the position shifts in 'Savez-Vous-Plnter Des Choux' I have to put a tiny film of vaseline on my LH thumb. I'm just curious what others are doing (or if I'm the only one having trouble.) :?:

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Sat May 21, 2011 2:04 pm

First try. It is hot here today and humid. Hard to get the fingers unstuck. Any tips other than Talcum Powder, which my wife seems to not like having spread around my practice area? Also, I know I should go to another spot to post this but, anyone want to share your string cleaning method/frequency or direct me to another spot to get some tips?

Thanks

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart » Sat May 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Mike

I enjoyed your improv. You really opened my eyes to being more adventurous and not stick to a single note method. It sounded like you were getting into the swing as you went further along. Great listening.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat May 28, 2011 6:33 pm

I consider this done but please let me know if there is anything I was not mindful of and should watch out for in the upcoming exam.

The awkward phrasing in the improv was as I was trying to work out the damping.

[media]https://youtu.be/p-xeIhXjMxg[/media]

Thank you for watching :merci:

Bob Goodwin

EDIT: I just had to add this note about the last improv. I know I didn't dampen the 'B' 'A' strings but as I fooled around with those four notes, this made me think of a mystical temple with a gong sounding and then a prayer wheel being turned. I couldn't help including it.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”