D03 Classical guitar lesson 7

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 7

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the new version of volume D03 that I updated today.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 93 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES - ESCALAS

- page 98 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ARPÈGES - ARPEGGI - ARPEGGIOS - ARPEGIOS

Improvisation work - D03
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.
1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.

2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.

3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

5/ improvise using only 5 notes (D - E - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

6/ improvise using only 6 notes (D - E - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

7/ improvise using only 7 notes ((D - E - F - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

8/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of DANSE D'AVILA, D02, page 7, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).

9/ improvise a melody upon the bass-line of OH! SUSANNA, D02, page 8, using only these 7 notes (G# A B C# D E F#).

10/ improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of "Saltaren", D03, page 30.

11/ improvise an arpeggio upon the harmonic sequence of "Saltaren", D03, page 30.

12/ improvise in chords upon the harmonic sequence of "Saltaren", D03, page 30.

13/ improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of "Folias", D03, page 31.

14/ improvise arpeggios upon the harmonic sequence of "Folias", D03, page 31.

15/ improvise in chords upon the harmonic sequence of "Folias", D03, page 31.

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces.
- page 22 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) RUJERO
- page 57 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°23
- page 82 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) NOVELETTE 001

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 57 Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO n°23
- 14/ improvise arpeggios upon the harmonic sequence of "Folias", D03, page 31.
- I ask every one of the students to take part in at least one of the musical games. If the games proposed seem too difficult for you, it is up to you to suggest new ones, adapted to your level and designed with your own rules.

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 7

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Hello everyone, I hope you're all still with us out there! In keeping with a post someone made to the "How's it Going" thread regarding posting music after 10 days, I am going to try to get something up here early next week, even though it will be "unfinished" quality. Also I will start a musical game of some sort then, if you want to participate in this with me. The rest of this week is pretty busy with Easter and my daughter's birthday.

I thought I was fairly decent at improvising but I am finding it very hard to do while looking at the music (which I need to do in order to play the bass line). If I was just hearing someone else play the bass line I think I'd be fine, and if I had it memorized I'd still be okay. But it takes a real effort to just look at the bass notes and not accidentally read the melody and have that come out instead of improvised notes. A good exercise!
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:59 am

Here is a quick-and-dirty post of Improvisation on La Folias, Ghiribizzo No 23, and Novelette No 1. I took repeats on the sections to give myself another chance at them. Warning, there are some mistakes!

I hope to post an improved version along with Rujero before the lesson is over.

Also, I posted something in the "Musical Games" that I hope one of you will join me in.

[media]https://youtu.be/Csime2zozfw[/media]
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Sun May 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Hello Jeremy,
I'm still here but I haven't posted in a while. I have been very busy preparing end-of-year school activities and my practice schedule has been disrupted. Never-the-less I am planning to post this week.

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 am

Hello,
Here is my attempt at an improvisation on Folias. It is not very smooth and there are mistakes--but I wanted to post to help keep the online class active.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu May 12, 2011 5:03 am

Folias improv, Rujero, Ghiribizzo no 23, Novelette No1

Some are better than my first post, one seems to be a little worse!

[media]https://youtu.be/zLs69suoUt4[/media]
Jeremy

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Tue May 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Jeremy, Very nice on you pieces. I notice you are playing the Paganini without the bar on the 7th fret. I automatically barred it as the score indicated, but it's not necessary and easier to play without. I wonder why it's indicated? Qadir, that was a good improvisation on the Folias. I am really struggling with that. Neither chord progressions nor improvisation are things I've worked much on. It's good to see you back.

For my own work, I did not have much time available this lesson. I have been working on the pieces half halfheartedly, I may have time to post them later. I will be working hard again on the 8 lesson. I'm leaving Thursday for a long weekend to camp in Death Valley with a friend. I will be taking an old guitar with me so I should get some practice time in playing for the rocks.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Tue May 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Yes, make sure it's a very old one to take to Death Valley. I assume there is very low humidity there! I once stayed in a hotel in Eastern Oregon where the humidity was down around 15% - I got around it by keeping a wet washcloth in the top of my guitar case below the guitar headstock.

Qadir, I didn't notice your Folias post, I will listen to it tonight.
Jeremy

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Looking over the Paganini again, I need to pay more attention. The score indicates only VII which I guess means seventh position. I don't ever see that on scores and took it to mean a bar, which would have read CVII.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 pm

I would probably take VII to mean a barre, but I always take stuff like this with a grain of salt if something else works better. So I probably just ignored it because the way I played it worked okay.
Jeremy

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 pm

As you guessed, Greg, it just means seventh position here, and you can see that is how M. Delcamp is playing it in the video.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Thu May 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Qadir, keep at the Folias, I think you're getting it. You might try to record something to play along with, in order to help keep the time: maybe a single strummed chord at the beginning of each measure; then play this back and improvise along with it.
Jeremy

QadirASabur

Post by QadirASabur » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Jeremy Hickerson wrote:Qadir, keep at the Folias, I think you're getting it. You might try to record something to play along with, in order to help keep the time: maybe a single strummed chord at the beginning of each measure; then play this back and improvise along with it.
That's a good idea Jeremy. I have taken a summer break but I am getting back to my guitar now and looking forward to the level 4 classes. I am sure that I'll have plenty of opportunity to try your suggestion this year.

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:00 pm

yes, I've taken that summer break too - time to get back to work!
Jeremy

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”