D01 Classical guitar lesson 8

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Robert Goodwin

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 8

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 am

I finally realize why this alternate fingering is being so frustrating. For me at least, it totally breaks my ability to sight read. I sight read based on the note placement but when I encounter a note that I recognize but must play in a different way the note become ambiguous and I lose all sense of sight reading. It's as if I was reading a story and all of a suddenly, all of the letter 'p's in the text were replaced by the letter 'l' but it still means 'p'.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:35 am

I can understand your frustration, Bob, but I suppose one of the skills you acquire when learning the guitar is to be able to see notes in more than one place on the fingerboard. You can't always play the open-string B, for instance, because you may be using the second string for another note, or you may need to play a descending slur from the B, or a vibrato, you may be playing higher up the neck and find that the sound of the open string has a different tone from the fretted notes played before and after it. So it's useful at some stage to learn the alternatives to the open string notes, and eventually of course to learn the notes all the way up the fingerboard. It's confusing at first, but it will seem natural in time.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks Geoff. :merci:

You are right of course. I suppose it just hits as a new layer of complexity just when I thought I was starting to get on top of things. I will learn the lessons as indicated or at least give it my best shot.

Bob G.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Good for you, Bob. I've found that learning the guitar is like that - two steps forward and one step back :wink: . You demonstrate a piece to your teacher that you're pretty happy with, and they say something like "good, now let's put in the damping" and then the struggle starts all over again! The better you get, the higher you raise the bar, so there's always some challenge to be overcome, but the satisfaction of getting past each one makes it worth it.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

SusanGRas

Post by SusanGRas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Penelope, Sorry I have been absent from lessons. I do still keep up with reading them once in a while and I wanted to thank you so much for the ergonomic pdf file. Thanks!

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Silly me. :oops:

I accidentally switched lesson D02-1 with D01-8. :contrat: It did seem a bit more complex than it should be for the series of lessons overall. No wonder it just felt wrong. Anyway, I'm sure I would have hit the same stop in lesson D02-1 and still gotten the same excellent advice.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”