Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
jeffz

Re: Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Post by jeffz » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi Kampret,

Thank you so much for arranging and posting this. I am working on Segovia's scales too, but only have got to the D major scale yet. I have noticed some left-hand similarity among different scales but I did not think of studying and organizing it. I cannot wait to check out your findings.

David

Post by David » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:18 am

Vlad Kosulin wrote:Kampret,

Segovia Scales - Pattern Approach.pdf page numbering is broken. It has two pages #5.
Vlad

Thanks for spotting that, I'll fix it.

K
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Luzhin

Post by Luzhin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks for your work on this. I've intuitively recognized these patterns, but having it codified and in black and white is a help. Nicely done.

Luzhin

David

Post by David » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 am

Luzhin wrote:Thanks for your work on this. I've intuitively recognized these patterns, but having it codified and in black and white is a help. Nicely done.

Luzhin
Ta, it's been something I've been meaning to do for a while. The relationship of particular patterns was shown to me last century ( :) ), but I'd never seen it mentioned in any publication. Often, the obvious thing is not obvious until someone points it out & then you say something like, "Oh yeah, of course.".

I'm often amazed by people's inventions. Often they're simple & leave you thinking, why hadn't this been done before.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Ceara

Post by Ceara » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Thank you! I've been looking for something like this for quite a while now.

Almost all the guitar scale stuff I come across on the internet uses fretboard imaging with little dots instead of sheet music form. I just can't stand the fretboard image types and prefer in music format.

Back when I was playing flute and piccolo in high school full orchestra and stage band (almost 20 yrs ago now), we started every class with a complete round of scales (Maj, Min, Harm, Melod) and a Thirds exercise. Sounds like quite a lot, but we went fast and only did 1 octave. :D hehe

Now that I'm teaching myself guitar (no instructor for classical anywhere nearby) I wanted to get back into the scale practice because I remember how it helped me so much back in school.

Since I've been unable to find what I'm looking for in the free department online, I have been dreading copying all my scale info from paper, to computer in PDF format, add new stuff and find a way to get it printed out.

Thanks again for posting this. I am looking forward to learning the patterns.

Michael Young

Post by Michael Young » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:02 am

Kampret,
Thank you so much for putting this together. I am finding it very helpful. I do have a few suggestions and comments that might be helpful for most of us newbies. It would be very helpful to have the number of frets that you need to slide up or down annotated on the sheet. I have the following written on my copy:
C Major, C# minor - 3 up, 3 down
G Major - 3 up, 3 up, 4 up, 5 down, 5 down
A minor - 4 up, 1 up, 4 up, 4 down, 3 down, 2 down
B minor - 3 up, 4 up, 3 up, 4 up, 4 down, 5 down, 5 down
E Major - 4 up, 3 up, 5 down, 2 down
E minor - 2 up, 4 up, 3 up, 4 down, 5 down
F Major - 4 up, 5 up, 5 down, 4 down

The E Major pattern appears to have an extra "//4 3 1" in the descending sequence.
The E minor pattern appears to have an extra "4" just before the slide at the top of the scale.

The A minor instructions appear to be missing the "To play, start at the 5th fret of the E string."

I think it would be helpful to add the following to the E Major and E minor instructions; "The second note of the scale is played at the 2nd fret of the E string."

Thanks again!
Michael

David

Post by David » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks Michael, I'll go through your suggestions & see how I can improve it further.

Ikea

Post by Ikea » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:12 pm

i have just started to learn classical guitar @ age 71. Would love to learn the pattern approach,I have a copy of the scales but it looks very confusing. Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers ikea.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:12 am

Hi Ikea, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

strivedi

Post by strivedi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:04 am

Richard Judge wrote:Thanks Kampret

I have "fretboard roadmaps" which uses a similar patterns technique to introduce scales it's not really aimed at "Classical" players but I have found it very useful.
I would like to see the Segovia scale patterns on a fretboard graphice similar to those used in the book.
Hi Richard: I too have one but with no other clue. Can you give me the ones you have? I am a beginner and have a lot on my plate already, so need this help. thanks. strivedi

nivrac

Post by nivrac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:23 pm

:merci: it's a great idea

antonio greco

Post by antonio greco » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks for all, I'm new in this forum. I'm a beginner. i'm intresting to learn the segovia scales

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Antonio, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?
(There are some ideas on things to say, if you need any, here).

Then we'll be able to tell you how to use the forum, access the files, etc.

Best wishes,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

antonio greco

Post by antonio greco » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Well now I start to study and play.

Best wishes,
Antonio

David

Post by David » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Michael Young wrote:Kampret,
Thank you so much for putting this together. I am finding it very helpful. I do have a few suggestions and comments that might be helpful for most of us newbies. It would be very helpful to have the number of frets that you need to slide up or down annotated on the sheet. I have the following written on my copy:
C Major, C# minor - 3 up, 3 down
G Major - 3 up, 3 up, 4 up, 5 down, 5 down
A minor - 4 up, 1 up, 4 up, 4 down, 3 down, 2 down
B minor - 3 up, 4 up, 3 up, 4 up, 4 down, 5 down, 5 down
E Major - 4 up, 3 up, 5 down, 2 down
E minor - 2 up, 4 up, 3 up, 4 down, 5 down
F Major - 4 up, 5 up, 5 down, 4 down

The E Major pattern appears to have an extra "//4 3 1" in the descending sequence.
The E minor pattern appears to have an extra "4" just before the slide at the top of the scale.

The A minor instructions appear to be missing the "To play, start at the 5th fret of the E string."

I think it would be helpful to add the following to the E Major and E minor instructions; "The second note of the scale is played at the 2nd fret of the E string."

Thanks again!
Michael

Michael

Thank you for spotting several mistakes. I've now corrected them. Geoff will upload the revised for me.

Kampret

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”