Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Post by GeoffB » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The revised PDF has now been uploaded.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

David

Post by David » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:24 am

Ikea wrote:i have just started to learn classical guitar @ age 71. Would love to learn the pattern approach,I have a copy of the scales but it looks very confusing. Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers ikea.
Hi Ikea

The essence is to break down the 24 scales into a series of patterns that can be applied for various scales. So for instance if we take the C Major scale. It starts on the third fret of the 5th String (A):

* The notes that are fretted are C & D with 2nd & 4th fingers, then we move up a string - annotated in my method as 2 4 // (// means change strings).

* You should now be on the 4th string, notes are E, F & G and fretted with 1st, 2nd & 4th, then move up a string - in the method 1 2 4 //.

* 3rd string, notes A, B, C & D, fretted with 1st & 3rd fingers. After playing the first two notes (A & B), the first finger slides up to the 5th fret (C), the third plays the D, then change strings - 1 3 - 1 3 // ( the - means to slide up to the next note).

* 2nd string, notes E, F & G, fretted with 1st, 2nd & 4th & change strings - 1 2 4 //.

* 1st string, notes are A, B & C, fretted with 1, 3 & 4, this is the top of the scale, so after playing the C we start our way back down and fret the B with the 3rd finger and the A with the 1st, we now move back to the 2nd (B) string - 1 3 4 3 1 //. Hint: keep 1st and 3rd fingers down after playing them, they are then in position for the descent. It's also important for a smooth legato sound.

So on the way up the pattern is 2 4 // 1 2 4 // 1 3 - 1 3 // 1 2 4 // 1 3 4, on the way down 3 1 // 4 2 1 // 3 1 - 3 1 // 4 2 1 // 4 2.

Other scales share this pattern, D, Dflat & Eflat majors, all you have to do is vary your starting position. So to play D major, you again start of the 5th string but at fret 7. For Dflat major you start at the 4th fret & Eflat major at the 6th.

Not sure whether this helps or confuses even further, let me know.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

David

Post by David » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 am

Richard Judge wrote:Thanks Kampret

I have "fretboard roadmaps" which uses a similar patterns technique to introduce scales it's not really aimed at "Classical" players but I have found it very useful.
I would like to see the Segovia scale patterns on a fretboard graphice similar to those used in the book.
Richard

I'll look into this and see if I can adapt it.

Thanks,

Kampret.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:50 pm

David,
Segovia Scales - Pattern Approach.pdf page numbering is broken. It has two pages #5.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

David

Post by David » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks Vlad. This appears to be a problem with using two pieces of software to create the document, FInale and Acrobat, the page numbering sometimes go out of whack after I edit something.

David

Post by David » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:01 am

Kampret wrote:
Richard Judge wrote:Thanks Kampret

I have "fretboard roadmaps" which uses a similar patterns technique to introduce scales it's not really aimed at "Classical" players but I have found it very useful.
I would like to see the Segovia scale patterns on a fretboard graphice similar to those used in the book.
Richard

I'll look into this and see if I can adapt it.

Thanks,

Kampret.

Here's the first fretboard map, C Major. Before creating the others, I'd love some feedback. This is a jpeg (it's easier to upload), the final maps will be as a pdf, probably as an appendix in the method.

Kampret
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chjudd

Post by chjudd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 pm

This is great, thank you.

David

Post by David » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:11 am

I've finished the fret maps, they've been uploaded to the first post in this thread - thanks, Geoff.

I also took the opportunity of fixing a few errors in the method, including the page numbering. And of course, the document now has to refer to the fret maps, so some minor tweeks were needed for this. The method document now includes both the practise page and the fret maps so you can download just one document. The fret maps and the practise page are still listed separately so you can just download these if that's all you need.

Once again, I welcome any suggestions on how to improve this approach. And if I've made any mistakes, which is entirely possible, let me know.

And to those who've made constructive observations so far, thank you.

Kampret.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:49 am

:merci:
I always wanted to have everything in one file.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

David

Post by David » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:18 am

Vlad Kosulin wrote::merci:
I always wanted to have everything in one file.
The reason there were several files initially was the practise page came first. It was something that I made for my personal use, it was generated in Wordperfect many years ago. It dawned on me sometime last year that the you could use the patterns to help learn the scales, but Wordperfect can't be used for music so I used Finale, which is great for the scales but not so good for the text. I ended up saving it as a pdf and editing the text in Acrobat - not my favourite software. Anyway, it's taken three pieces of software to generate. Incidentally the fret maps were generated in Wordperfect, still my favourite word processor after all these years.

In retrospect, I should have combined the files at the beginning but thought those that already knew the scales may want to just download the practise sheet. It does make more sense for them to be together, hence the latest version. The practise pages and fret maps are also separately listed just in case there are members who just want these.

By the way, if anyone knows of a music editor that enables smooth entry of music and text I'd love to know about it. Most seem to handle lyrics ok, but not paragraphs of text typical of method or music text books. I'll look around first & if I can't find something useful, I'll start another thread on this.

Dani_liea

Post by Dani_liea » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm looking forward to viewing these files. I took lessons several years ago then dropped lessons and practice altogether after moving. I got back into it recently, but found I have forgotten the scale patterns... :? Thanks for posting them. :)

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Dani_liea,

Welcome to Delcamp.

Please introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself section and then we can let you know how to get the most out of the forum.

You can also have a look at this page for a general introduction to the Delcamp forum.

Best wishes
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Dani_liea

Post by Dani_liea » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44 pm

I was wondering what would be suggested for playing scales on my parlour guitar; it only has 17 frets. When playing Bb maj and Bmaj scales a full three octaves, I fall a couple of frets short. Is it better to play on as if I have the frets for the sake of the pattern, or should I shorten those two scales to two octaves for the sake of musicality?

David

Post by David » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:53 am

Dani_liea wrote:I was wondering what would be suggested for playing scales on my parlour guitar; it only has 17 frets. When playing Bb maj and Bmaj scales a full three octaves, I fall a couple of frets short. Is it better to play on as if I have the frets for the sake of the pattern, or should I shorten those two scales to two octaves for the sake of musicality?
Hi Dani

Bb Maj & B Maj both use the same fingering pattern as G Maj. This pattern is also used for A, Ab & F#. So playing any of these scales would allow you to practise this three octave pattern. To play right up to fret 17, play A Maj, Ab will go to fret 16. Actually this is one of the benfits of using the pattern approach. As most of the patterns are used for more than one scale, knowing a pattern should enable you to play any of the scales that use this pattern.

Kampret

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks for these, they are brilliant. :bravo:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”