D02 Classical guitar lesson 8

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 8

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue May 10, 2011 6:08 am

Hello everyone,
if you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 77 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

- page 80 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS - LIGADOS
Ascending slurs are produced by striking (hammering down on) the string with a left hand finger. The faster and more decisive this movement is, the more volume is obtained. Practise particularly on the nylon (unwound) strings, as these are the most difficult to get a clear sound from.

- page 82 number 34 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ARPÈGES - ARPEGGI - ARPEGGIOS – ARPEGIOS

- page 86 6/ Improvise using only 6 notes (D E G A B C) for 20'.

Next we'll work on five pieces :
- page 35 Johann-Philipp KRIEGER (1652-1735) MENUET
- page 37 Henry PURCELL (1659-1695) MENUET Z. 649
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemiola

The Tarentela and the 2 Villanos are played using strums with the index finger. The arrows indicate the direction of the strum. In the strum, several strings are struck in rapid succession, to give the effect of a chord, that is to say of notes played simultaneously.

- page 43 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA TARENTELA
In bars 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8 the thumb rests on the 6th string. In bars 3, 6 and 7 the thumb rests on the 5th string. It is important not to move the hand while the index finger moves up and down. Resting the thumb on a bass string helps to keep the hand still. It also prevents the accidental sounding of one or more bass strings that are not used in certain chords.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantella

- page 49 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) 2 VILLANOS
2 Villanos: While the index finger is playing the strums, the thumb rests on the 5th string. Except when the chord of A major is being played, where the thumb rests on the 6th string.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 80 number 25 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) LIAISONS - LEGATURE - SLURS - LIGADOS
- page 86 6/ Improvise using only 6 notes (D E G A B C) for 20'.
- page 35 Johann-Philipp KRIEGER (1652-1735) MENUET
- page 43 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) LA TARENTELA

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and pieces.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 8

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue May 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello everyone, here are my first submissions, with comments for some:

D02 p80 n25 Slurs

[media]https://youtu.be/f0sDXPU31VY[/media]

Improvisation on 6 notes - I really should have recorded another improvisation but I tidied away the recording equipment!...

[media]https://youtu.be/ENR0MebmRf0[/media]

Krieger Menuet - Quite a few mistakes scattered about and at about half the marked tempo. Once I've sorted those though, I'd like to add some ornamentation!

[media]https://youtu.be/rQW3kF2K_D8[/media]

Sanz Tarentela - I wasn't sure whether to try to play this by ear or try to follow the music - in the end I went for the latter. I also resolved to place the thumb on the sixth and fifth strings as indicated. The result - a very, very slow version, virtually unrecognisable!

[media]https://youtu.be/rlvwDyv0J4c[/media]

Best wishes, Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Wed May 18, 2011 8:28 am

Hi Stewart

Well done for being the first to post your practice. Overall I thought it was good. The slurs are very clear, your little finger makes a good clean contact with the string and you get a good volume. I notice you didn't move from one string to the next as Jean-François Delcamp does, perhaps it may be good to practice like that too. Not sure why you felt critical about your improvisation. I liked the variation in tone and volume, and the use of vibrato. As you said yourself, there are some mistakes in the Krieger Menuet but I liked the slow steady practice, I think it is good to keep to this in the early stages and leave the ornamentation till the basic foundation is solid. (I am still playing the basics as best I can manage.) I thought the Tarentela sounded fine too, not unrecognisable but merely a slowed down version and I am sure the speed will come with practice. No doubt another glass or red wine will help!

I will try to get my stuff online soon. I did a recording this morning but I have just realise, watching yours, that some of what I recorded is not what we were asked to do...back to the drawing board!
Keep up the good work.

Ned

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Wed May 18, 2011 8:46 am

Dear All

Here is my practice so far. Unfortunately I did not include all that `i was meant to...tsk, tsk, not paying attention!... I can't manage the slurs at present as I just managed to cut my LH fourth finger on a staple, will need a few days to heal.
Anyway here is what I have done;

Krieger Menuet...I can see I am concentrating rather hard and some tension in both hands.

[media]https://youtu.be/Q5yW5sH4A_w[/media]

Scales...well no one asked for these but I practiced them so you are getting them!

[media]https://youtu.be/7sj8otXik4A[/media]

Twenty second impro..think I was a bit keen to make up a tune of sorts, maybe could focus more on tone and variation of volume etc.

[media]https://youtu.be/ky7NBqVLv2k[/media]

Any thoughts or comments welcome. I forgot to record the Tarantela but may have a go at it on camera soon.

Ned

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed May 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Nice work both of you. I hope to get something posted this weekend.
In the Tarentela the E chord diagram shows the whole chord. When I first played this I was shaping the whole chord as in the diagram but in fact the B on the fifth string is damped by the thumb. The notation marks the notes with finger 2 on the E (4th string) and 1 on the G# (3rd string). Playing it like this the second finger can remain in place during the change to the final Am as a guide.

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Thu May 19, 2011 3:45 am

Thanks for posting Stewart and Ned.

Stewart, your slurs are nice and strong and precise. There's just one thing lacking (but an important thing); if you hold the note that you "hammer-on" to, then it will be a proper slur. The second note of the grouping is held for its full duration, thus creating an unbroken melodic line. So, when you slur up to a note, hold it and let it ring instead of cutting it off. M. Delcamp is really amazing at slurs (especially ornamentations) and in his video you'll be hard pressed to find any silence in his slur exercises.

I enjoyed the Krieger and the improv too (and had a glass of wine of my own while I watched them :ivresse:)

Ned--good stuff. I'm glad you included the scales.

Here's my practice of the Krieger. Not perfect, and I"m curious to see how my alternate fingerings will fare as I bring it up to tempo. I'll post the other stuff soon.

[media]https://youtu.be/FvyZnOTXdsU[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Thu May 19, 2011 8:01 am

Hi Michael
Your playing is so good :mrgreen:
I notice that you play a couple of notes on the fifth fret that are marked as open strings in the score, the G and B in bars 13 and 14. (and possibly the E in bar 6 and similar?)
I like the vibrato this allows.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Thu May 19, 2011 11:57 am

Richard
Thanks for your feedback and observation of the Tarantela fingering. Look forward to seeing your practice.

Michael
Watching the precision of your practice, the focused transitions of left hand chord changes, steady tempo and variation of tone gives me an excellent example to aim at.
It is a pleasure to watch too but I am afraid I don't have any useful advice.
:bravo:

I got a painful splinter out of my right index finger this morning. Hooray! should wear gloves when I am chopping wood!
Anyway this will hopefully facilitate my practice...

Ned

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Thu May 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Ned - nice work and thanks for your comments. I'm not sure whether you answered your own question but regarding the slurs we were only asked for exercise 25 (on the G string) on p80. I notice that the still image selected by Youtube for my slurs and your scales show some of the strings pulled to the side. I'm not sure whether this is necessarily a bad thing but it might be indicative of the tension in the hands you mention and which is something I'm aware of too - in fact despite the glass of wine, it's not just the hands, more like full-body tension!

Michael - thank you for your excellent point about my slurs. You have such a good ear and eye for such things. As soon as I played my video again it seemed glaringly obvious. I don't think I can offer much advice in return regarding your excellent recording except that in some sections of the piece in particular you seem to bring a different (softer?) tone to the top/melody. Perhaps this could be contrasted with a different tone for the bass lines - to suggest a call/response from different instruments? [Just a thought - for all I know this might be inappropriate for this piece/period?]
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 am

My turn to offer my submissions. Sorry about the lighting, I didn't realize how bright it was! I've only offered up 3 of the 4 requested as I ran out of time today.Hopefully I will make some improvements and post all before too long.

[media]https://youtu.be/u5Qx38FMCks[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/sXX1HMd4zR0[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/VC5FoL55ZYM[/media]

Jack

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Fri May 20, 2011 3:15 am

Ned, I too suffer from tension in the hands!

This morning when I first woke up I played and everything was so easy and relaxed. I really felt good but unfortunately got called in to work. Well by the time I got off tonight I was not in the same zone, and forced myself to make these recordings. Not as smooth as this morning. It really is interesting how much our moods and state of mind affect our playing. The pressures of the day can definitely translate into tension and,at least with me, really shows up in my playing. I'm beginning to think that I need to develop ways of relaxing prior to playing. I even notice that when I am feeling like I should be doing something else with my time, it keeps me from playing freely and without tension. Anyway, keep up your good work and if you figure out a way to get rid of tension let me know! Oh and I burned my finger at work so I can relate to your staple issue.

Michael, I listened to your advice and really made sure I held my slurs longer.

Stewart you always play well and I always try hard to match you and Mr Delcamp's perfection. Thanks for your nice posts.
Jack
Last edited by Jack Jarrett on Sat May 21, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 20, 2011 11:47 am

Just a reminder to anyone who may not have seen the announcement, Jean-François is offering a year-end exam, with diploma, for those who are interested. You can read details in this and subsequent posts.

Anyone who wishes to enter but hasn't yet posted sufficient recordings will need to post them before the exam date, so be careful you don't leave it too late.

If anyone is put off by having to register on the Spanish forum to take the exam, don't be, as it is very easy to do, you don't need to speak Spanish, and I can provide guidance if necessary. Again, don't leave it until the last minute, as it may take a day or so to register.

(I'm repeating this message at all three levels of the course).

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

nogara

Post by nogara » Fri May 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Michael Collings wrote:I enjoyed the Krieger
Your minuet is very dancing :bravo:

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat May 21, 2011 1:45 am

Just a quick clarification if possible for the registration of the final exam. As I understand it, provided we have sufficient posts of required videos in each lesson, we can register and submit our final exam on the Spanish forum on the same day.There is no pre-registration required. We just don't want to wait until the last minute as it may not be in time for the final day, correct?
Thanks
Jack

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat May 21, 2011 11:20 am

Good question, Jack. I'm just clarifying a couple of things with M. Delcamp before I get back to you on that.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”