D01 Classical guitar lesson 9

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 9

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue May 24, 2011 9:18 am

Hello everyone,
if you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 55 : Jean-François Delcamp - Gammes en tierces - Scales in third, number 7 and 8.

Finally, we'll look at five tunes, pages 44 to 48.
Page 44 - Anonyme : Chanson italienne

Page 45 - Anonyme : Volt en la majeur (Damp the preceding note with the finger indicated.)

Page 46 - J. A. P. Schulz (1747-1800) Air

Page 47 - Joseph Küffner (1776-1856) Duo opus 168 N°14

Page 48 - Dionisio Aguado (1784-1849) Valse en sol majeur

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Page 55, number 8 - Jean-François Delcamp - Gammes en tierces - Scales in third
Page 45 - Anonyme : Volt en la majeur (Damp the preceding note with the finger indicated.)
Page 48 - Dionisio Aguado (1784-1849) Valse en sol majeur

I look forward to hearing you play these exercises and tunes.

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Tim Speer

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 9

Post by Tim Speer » Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Thank you

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Tue May 31, 2011 1:49 am

Here is my first week's practice on VOLT. After reviewing Professor Delcamp example, I guess I will have to speed it up and drop the little vibrato. That's in addition to actually learning the music and cleaning up the fingering. :chaud:

Thank you for looking :merci:

Bob Goodwin

[media]https://youtu.be/by0kY9DXS1U[/media]

TWO WEEKS TO GO :shock:

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi, Bob--

Your tempo is probably fast enough, and I don't hear an offensive vibrato--just a little twanging on the lower strings. You might (if you haven't already) look at Alice Artzt's second video, on the right-hand stroking motion, to avoid making unwanted sounds when the string vibrates up and down--as indeed it needs to vibrate, in order to make a full sound. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36445&hilit=Ida+Presti%27s

Good for you for taking the initiative in posting! I'm struggling with distractions and interruptions, but I hope to have a go at it by the end of the week.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 pm

As you can hear in the scales in thirds as well as the Aguado waltz, I'm having a devil of a time pressing those upper two strings down tightly enough to get a clear sound. But in the interests of paying my dues, here are my recordings after the first ten days of practice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 am

Every post you make now shows a marked improvement in pace. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

If I may make a small suggestion; I think your E1 string could be tuned a little sharper but it may just be the microphone (or my ear).

Keep going. You are definitely headed in the right direction.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:23 am

That e-string tends to flatten when I play hard (or perhaps when the string gets plucked too much sideways, rather than downward). Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 am

Hi,

Here are my assignments. I worked really hard on Volt. I played it over and over again yesterday for maybe 5 hours and again several times this morning before I got a recording that I'm sort of satisfied with. It still sounds a bit labored but I think I benefited a lot from the effort of trying to get it into good shape.

Penelope -- I suspect your problem with buzzing has rather little to do with force. It takes very little finger pressure to get a clear sound. Just try putting your finger down behind a fret and playing, slowly decreasing the amount of pressure until it starts to buzz. The right amount of pressure is just before the buzz starts (or so I've read -- Scott Tenant). Scott also suggests an exercise which I find quite useful for developing a light touch. That is simply to do chromatic scales in the first position starting from low-E, going up to G-sharp on the 1st string and back down again, all the while being mindful of the amount of pressure I'm applying. Simple alternation of i and m, tirando. The idea is to keep it so simple that you can think of other things like amount of pressure and looking for signs of tension -- in the hands, arms, legs .... If you do it with your eyes closed, you might find that it also helps to get a feel for where the frets are without having to look. Hope this is useful to you.

Cheers.

EDIT ---- Because of Bob's comment, I decided to try again. I substitute the new version of Volt. I think I play the eighth notes better this time. Still not perfect. A couple of missed notes and a horrible buzz near the end and a still a bit labored.. I'm afraid perfection is still a long ways off! Keep on tryin'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeJay on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi Mike,
That was marvelous as is usual for you. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I did notice with 'VOLT' that the eighth notes in measure #11 sounded a bit odd to me as if perhaps a note was dropped. It may just be my perception but if you are going to be doing this again for the final exam, you might want to go over it at a slower pace and make sure those eighth notes are there.

EDIT: I've listened to it again and I realize now that it sounds like those pesky eighth notes are being played as quarter notes which throws off the timing of that measure.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:01 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks. You are right, I didn't realize it. The timing on the eighth notes, particularly the second time through is way off. More work to do. I probably won't be doing the exam. I guess I feel that I've already had more than enough exams in my life.

Penelope Phillips-Armand

The right touch

Post by Penelope Phillips-Armand » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Mike, thank you so much for the suggestions. I've already found that I can get better fretted thirds on the high strings by tilting the neck back slightly, so my fingers are more extended and fretting with only the tips. But I'll try your advice, too, to see where it leads me. I'd love to be able to play by feel rather than always having to plot coordinates as though the fretboard were a graph!

Your Aguado Waltz is especially graceful....Well done.

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Penelope,

Great -- I hope it helps. Certainly it helped me. Thanks for the compliment. These lessons are pretty hard but for sure they are improving my playing.

Mike

Robert Goodwin

Post by Robert Goodwin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:52 pm

This is where I'm at, at the moment. I still lose a little as soon as the red light goes on but playing for a live video is the only way to get over it I think.

[media]https://youtu.be/sv3h4Kponqw[/media]

MikeJay

Post by MikeJay » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Bob,

Well done. You've nailed the first section nicely. I'm really impressed with your progress both in this recording and your recording of lesson 8.

Cheers,
Mike

Marie-Cécile Satonet

Post by Marie-Cécile Satonet » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Robert, I really like your performance ! I wish I could do as well as you... which is far from being the case !

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”