D02 Classical guitar lesson 9

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Cy Pawsey

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 9

Post by Cy Pawsey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Stewart - many thanks for your comment, damping with the left hand fingers I find very awkward as my hand wants to move immediately to the next note-fingering position and I omit the damping. As damping is so integral to cg I must pay more attention to the written material and overcome this.

Your v2 is very smooth and in tempo.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Clp,

I just noticed you are not registered for the lessons. You may have missed lagartija's reply about that here. Could you please request a change of username, to one which includes your real first name, and then you can be registered.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:29 pm

CyP wrote:Stewart - many thanks for your comment, damping with the left hand fingers I find very awkward as my hand wants to move immediately to the next note-fingering position and I omit the damping. As damping is so integral to cg I must pay more attention to the written material and overcome this.

Your v2 is very smooth and in tempo.
Hi clp - Thanks - I too have a problem with damping, I find if I try to use my thumb to damp a string it decides it wants to play it! The point I made about your damping was more to do with the right hand 'im' fingers though. To get the rests between the accompaniment I think you can just rest the right hand fingers on the strings between the notes, but make sure you do this for the last one too. Does that make sense?
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Cy Pawsey

Post by Cy Pawsey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Stewart - I get what you mean regarding the right hand "im" but it is so different to playing with a pick which is where I am coming from. Also deciding whether to damp with left finger[s], right finger[s], palm of right hand or by abruptly relieving pressure on the fret. Probably I need to concentrate just on this for a month or so. However, at least I am now more aware of the importance of this and your comment is very helpful. Regards Cy

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Here's Lesson 9. I'm a little rusty with my strumming. Is it from the wrist or with the forearm? Also, if anyone has a good tip on preventing buzz notes it would be appreciated.
Ross

[media]https://youtu.be/rfZ9lVpk5TY[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/8A-NDgJOoZI[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi Ross well played.
I don't use so much elbow in my strumming tending to rotate the wrist more. M. Delcamp recording sounds very soft so I think he may use just the edge of his thumb without too much nail. (This is not written on the score and you interpretation is just as valid.) I think I would have prefered it all in one take ;-)
The Ferrer is well palyed nice and steady.
Are you planning to join D03 when it restarts in September?

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Richard,
Thanks for your comments. I knew my strumming didn’t look or sound very good, but I wasn’t sure how to fix it. Lesson 10 has another strumming exercise. I’ll try to make some improvements. Yes, I plan to continue on to D03 in September. Hopefully I can keep up and join in the fun.
Ross

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:23 pm

RossStep wrote:Also, if anyone has a good tip on preventing buzz notes it would be appreciated.
Hi Ross, I don't normally get time to look at the videos here, unfortunately, and I'm not a particular expert either, but your question caught my eye and I noticed you hadn't had any suggestions yet. So I had a quick look and my tip would be to try to get your left-hand fingers just behind the frets. In some cases, noticeable for instance on the lowest note of your C chord, your finger looks to be rather too far away from the fret, and this can lead to buzzing. Incidentally it appears you were playing a chord sequence of Am, C, Dm, E, which wasn't actually the sequence given in the music, though it sounded very nice :wink: . I thought your Ferrer was very nicely played too.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 am

Geoff,
Thanks for the buzz tip. I'm working on it right now. Squaring up my fingers just behind the fret makes a big difference.
Ross

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”