D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stewart Doyle

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Ned Henderson wrote:By the way, how are you all approaching the RH fingering of Dos Palomas?
Personally I am finding this one the hardest of the lot.

Ned
I agree Ned, I'm finding it tricky too. At the moment I'm looking to start using p at the 'A' of the second bar but I think there might be a better option. The stretch at bar 3 is awkward too, although I initially tried to hold fingers 2 and 1 in position which isn't needed. I do like the piece though and might be tempted to post a version - I'll have to practice it then!

I enjoyed your posts Ned - your rasgueado had a nice rhythm in the Chaconne. In the Rondo, following on from Richard's observations, I noticed you also used finger 3 occasionally instead of 4 meaning an awkward jump to using 3 on the fifth string - possibly in bars 16,20,21 and 68? I find it really hard to keep to fingering, particularly under the duress of a recording, and will sometimes go into autopilot (including occasionally not alternating :oops: !) Perhaps one way round this is very slow systematic practice where you're not 'sightreading' or 'playing the piece', but are simply reinforcing the required fingering through muscle memory.

Well done to everyone on the exam results, and although it wasn't a competition between individuals or languages, it was pleasing to see Michael sharing top honours with our italian, french and spanish speaking friends! Bravo to all.

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 am

Hi all

Not really happy with either of these but I notice time is ticking on. I find it really hard to supress the voices in my head for the full length of the Rondo ("you missed a note", "You should be damping that bass", "that didn't sound right" etc.) and my thumb kept freezing up.
If I get a chance I'll repost.
[media]https://youtu.be/73SZ5ZHzwOg[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/ahBfD27fDHg[/media]

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 am

I hate to see the lessons coming to an end :( ; it's been fun having goals and listening to all the pieces you have all posted.It has been great reading all the comments and feedback, and I really appreciate everyones' thoughtful observations and advice!

As far as this final lesson goes, I enjoyed having a long piece to work on, one that is not too difficult, but musically fun to listen to and play. I thought everyone did a great job on the two submissions. Ned I thought your Chaconne was well played with good rhythm, and your Rondo was really nice. You have good tone and you played the volume and speed changes well. Nice to listen to. And Stewart I personally like how you are good about slowing down the piece in order to play it properly and with precision.That is how good guitarists do it and gradual increases in speed with no mistakes is really the best way to progress. Richards Chaconne was very well done and I liked how you played one verse with the thumb giving it a mellower and more relaxing sound to provide interest for the listener.

Here are my submissions, probably my only ones on this lesson, and though sadly I hate to see the end of this, I am eager to move on to the next lesson.
[media]https://youtu.be/nhF6X1-28iI[/media]
After watching this video and everone elses, I realized I did not anchor my thumb on the strumbs, and this is probably why I had such a hard time with this one!

[media]https://youtu.be/4kvZmflQvao[/media]
The camera angle was a little wierd but I guess you can really see my right hand fingering!

Thanks for all your comments.

Jack

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Jack - Great performance of the Rondo - you sound and look so confident and it breezes along at a great tempo but with the rallentandos beautifully done. It's nice of you to praise my slower versions, but often that's the only way I can record a version that isn't riddled with mistakes.
Hi Richard - I liked your Chaconne, I thought the ligados had a lovely fluidity about them.

As mentioned in my last post, here's my SLOW Dos Palomas. I like the sound of this played with a capo at about the second or third fret too, but thought I should stick to the original key for the lesson....

[media]https://youtu.be/bKcchQiW09k[/media]

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 am

Hello Stewart, Jack, Richard, Ned and others. It's been a pleasure working with you on these lessons. This has been great for me because I'm the kind of person who needs deadlines and others to be accountable to in order to finish something. Your perseverance and thoughtful responses and interactions have helped me stick with these lessons and become a better musician. I'm reminded of an old saying: "those who can be trusted with a little will be given more."

I enjoyed everyone's submissions on this lesson so far. Here are a few observations--I hope they're not too sappy. Stewart, I like how you're always attentive to expressive details--this is quite refreshing. Ned, you seem to be a very courageous musician which is inspiring. Richard you have a very natural musical sensibility and a good ear for tone (which some people say is the most important feature of an instrumentalist.) Finally Jack, you obviously have a joy in playing which is contagious.

Here's my Chaconne--I'm still not very comfortable with strumming the guitar mixed with plucking.
[media]https://youtu.be/dFiMA9oywjA[/media]

And here's my Carulli Rondo. I seem a little tense on this piece but I wanted to include it because my son makes a guest appearance. I hope you enjoy how silly my serious faces look with the little guy peeking around. :mrgreen:
[media]https://youtu.be/SxUL_2JFhq0[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 am

Your playing is fantastic.
:bravo:

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Dear All

:bravo: It was great to listen to your recordings and I too am sad we have come to the end of the year, really pleased we have all stuck at it too and I have much appreciated your encouragement, feedback and suggestions which have kept me going at times when I have found it hard to keep up the practice. Many thanks for that and I hope you will all be continuing with the next level in the autumn, it would be good if we can continue this musical journey together...

Yeah Richard, I also really enjoyed your Chaconne.
I liked yours too Jack, a very good sense of rhythm, especially considering you were not anchoring the thumb. The Rondo sounded good too and I liked the RH fingering which made more sense than mine.
Stewart - i was really impressed by your rendition of Dos Palomas, it is a tricky piece,( I would think it is more D03 or 4 than D02 personally) and I think and the fluidity of your playing and tone are lovely.
Michael - lovely to listen to your playing, no wonder they made you an honorifico, it was magnifico...and a real pleasure to see your little son in the background. I was touched by his curiosity and respectful quiet while you were playing!

Best wishes to all and have a good summer

Ned

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 am

Hello everyone, it has indeed been a pleasure to have you all as fellow students throughout these lessons. Although the deadlines for the lessons have provided the impetus to get me to play and practice, the supportive encouragement of you all has made it a delight.
:merci:
Michael – I do enjoy your recordings and the wonderful confidence and calmness you display. Like Ned, I thought it was delightful the way your son seemed to realise that his Dad was doing something special. It was further testament to your focus and concentration too!

I certainly intend to start D03 in September. I’m trying to keep some momentum going so I’ve posted a version of Dos Palomas with a capo. I thought it might be very slightly disrespectful to post it in this lesson so I plucked up the courage to post it at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=60812. I hope to keep some guitar work and practice going over the summer, but if things do wind down over the summer I hope you all have a great ‘holiday’ and hope the D02 class of 2010/11 meet up again in September, along with some new friends!
:bye:

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:04 am

I finally watched your video Michael and you are truly awesome! An incredible show of expertise and concentration. Thanks for all your posts and advice this year.
Jack

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Both pieces were challenging. I tried to improve on lesson 9 with the Chaconne strumming. I have a ways to go yet. The Rondo was my first attempt at a longer piece. I practiced the difficult parts, played it slowly, then faster, backwards and forwards, but I never got a satisfactory video take that sounded musical without mistakes. I plan to continue to work on it with rest strokes on the melody notes. Maybe it will come together later.
D02 has been a great experience. Thanks Geoff for your help along the way. See you on September 6.
Ross

[media]https://youtu.be/ZQ_EcDSmmAw[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/qDs4jlTOWLg[/media]

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:07 am

Congratulations to all, very good, Michael Collings Rondo, very nice. :bye: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 am

Thanks for the compliment Giuseppe! And Ross, sorry we didn't cross paths (chronologically) in these lessons but best wishes in D03.
'

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”