D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:27 pm

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
Well played Marko! Very expressive for such short pieces,both played fluidly and no tempo interruptions.You have the fingering mastered and are able to put your efforts into making them enjoyable for the listener.
Jack

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:50 pm

:bravo: Marko, very good performance.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:59 am

Marko, I agree with Jack who put it very well. So I will say no more.
:bravo: :casque:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm very glad to hear that you like them. Moving on to lesson 2...
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Hello! I am going through these lessons on my own until I can start the new course in September. I have a question about the SCHIARAZULA. Is the bass notes AND melody notes rest stroked? Rest stroke on simultaneous bass and melody?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Welcome to the group Richard, although studying on your own! Please don't hesitate to ask when something is not clear to you. If you want to get some feedback on your playing (and I think you should even though restarting the course in September, so that you won't accumulate any bad playing habits), just post your videos on these threads. I started this course a month ago, and have been working these early lessons as backlog while at the same time studying the current lesson (number 7 at the moment). Speaking for myself, I will be happy to discuss the techniques and the pieces with you, as they're still relatively fresh in my mind.

To answer your question: neither bass nor melody notes are rest stroked in Schiarazula. It's all free stroke, but what makes it difficult (especially if you have no prior experience on the technique) is the damping of the open A with the thumb immediately after you have played the E, so that the A string does not ring (for long) once the E is plucked.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Thank you Marko for your time. I was just thinking there was rest strokes because the exercises before the pieces were rest stroke exercises. That is a relief! I do not have as much trouble with damping though. I have a new webcam I am trying to get going so I can post some videos of my attempts at these pieces. Thank you again, Marko.

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Here is my videos for the D03 lesson 1. I am going through these lessons on my own but I will try and catch up to the group. I am hoping to get on track and start D04 in September. Thank you for watching! :)

Polyphony 1
[media]https://youtu.be/I4mD4-n7UwM&feature=plcp&context=C42cbdb5VDvjVQa1PpcFPL05a8NKtzP2A5pBRIYnCEa9lo-8Gryy4=[/media]

Polyphony 2 (I buzzed on a string toward the end) :desole:
[media]https://youtu.be/GClhTkoukNg&context=C4c77874ADvjVQa1PpcFPL05a8NKtzP4bQKkyOhWGlXzG7K2DLPpY=[/media]

Carulli Arpeggi (both)
[media]https://youtu.be/KNXkfpExVXE&feature=channel[/media]

Schiarazula Marazula
[media]https://youtu.be/xwH3yqu3_Bs&feature=channel[/media]

On to lesson 2 now....

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 am

:bravo: Richard!

Your technique is clearly very good, and you play with confidence and good tone. Perhaps you could take some expressive liberties more than you do now (rubato, dynamics, tone variation, etc.), although I realize there aren't too many things you can do with those two particular pieces. At any rate, those were stellar performances, and I got the feeling you didn't find the pieces very challenging :lol:

I heard some audio clipping on some of the recordings, so maybe you could slightly lower the audio recoding level for the next lesson.

edit: May I invite you to take part into my musical game at viewtopic.php?f=109&t=66814 ? Taking part into one is mandatory requirement for lesson 7, and it would make sense to do that now with the rest of the group playing. Postponing it might mean that you need to start your own game later on. All you need to do is to compose one bar of music, extending what has been composed so far, and play the piece from the beginning.
Last edited by Marko Räsänen on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 am

:bravo: Richard, very good. :bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Richard Lawrence

Post by Richard Lawrence » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Thank you very much for the feedback Marko and Goran! I will try and put more musicality in these studies Marko. It is good to always incorporate it. Roland Dyens said in a masterclass I saw online that even when one is tuning a guitar, one can make music while tuning to that specific songs key that is going to be played.Thank you for the heads up about the audio clipping. I will turn down my audio recording level from now on. Let me know in my lesson 2 post if it is still clipping. This is my first time recording myself on video. BTW, I would like to participate in the musical game you created. I need to know what order/measure number I would start on. Thank you again! :)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”