D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Coen van Dijk

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Coen van Dijk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Here`s my try.
I found learing to damp de bases very difficut. I will certainly keep on working on it during other pieces.
I appologize for the protesting cries of my youngest 6 month old son during the end of Schiarazula.
I guess he does not like the song too much....or its my playing :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:38 pm

:bravo: Coen. Very nice and clean.
I enjoyed your playing.
:merci:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:00 am

Just a question to you all:

Mr. Delcamp suggest:
"- 15 minutes repeating the individual phrases (indicated by phrase marks) several times in succession (3 to 6 times)"

What do these phrase marks look like? I cannot find them in the legend at the beginning of each syllabus.

Thanks,
Coen

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 am

Hi Coen,
:desole:
phrase marks are only in DO1.
:( + ♫ = :)

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:40 am

Well played Coen.
I add phrase markings to pieces when I first get them. This helps to get a feel for the way the piece is constructed.
For instance in the Schiarazula the first 4 full bars are a phrase so I have marked them on the score. (With a line at each end). These are then repeated. Then the next 4 bars are a phrase so I have marked that. This is also repeated. Then it goes back to the beginning. So for 32 bars of music there are only 8 bars that you need to learn. (If the first phrase is A and the second B then the structure is AABBAABB)
I hope I'm not overstating the obvious with this.

For my question. In the score the lead in note is counted as a full measure. This gives the piece 33 bars when in fact there are only 32. I was under the impression that a lead in is not counted and that measure numbering starts at the first full measure. Is it usual to count the part measure at the beginning?

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Coen van Dijk wrote:Here`s my try.
I found learing to damp de bases very difficut. I will certainly keep on working on it during other pieces.
I appologize for the protesting cries of my youngest 6 month old son during the end of Schiarazula.
I guess he does not like the song too much....or its my playing :oops:
Bravo, very well :bye: :bravo: :bravo:

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:29 am

Thanks for the explanation Richard.

It sounds if phrasing a piece might be a good approach to start practicing a new piece. It could make the learning experience less daunting. I will certainly try it as soon as I start a new piece!

Coen

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello all! Better late than never. I have a 4 week old newborn at home right now but I think we're getting back into the swing of things at home. Here are my submissions. I look forward to listening to everyone else's.

the Polyphony exercises #1 and 2

[media]https://youtu.be/K3IGWKPYPEQ[/media]

The Mainerio

[media]https://youtu.be/N1nD9ufGNxA[/media]

And the Morlaye

[media]https://youtu.be/ZqfNxhu0K5U[/media]

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:09 am

Congrats Michael on your new addition and welcome back! Always a pleasure to hear your posts and how we are supposed to play. You've motivated me to work some more!
Jack

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:45 am

Hello all

A question about the last sting damping excersise, D03 p86 n5:
In the last measure the D on the fourth string is played as a trill idicated by "tr 1020".
How is this played? I mean what notes do I use there? If I listen to mr Delcamp playing it I think I hear D-E-D, but I'm not sure, its too fast.

I searched the forum but did not find an answer that I understood. I read a thread once about trills and ornamentation which explained exactly how to play these thrills, but I cannot find it anymore. :cry:

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

And, nice playing Micheal and congratulations on your 1 month old baby!

Coen

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 am

Wikipedia:
In modern musical notation a trill is generally indicated with the letters tr (or sometimes simply t)[2] above the trilled note. This has sometimes been followed by a wavy line, and sometimes, in the baroque and early classical periods,[2] the wavy line on its own was used. The following two notations are equivalent:

Both the "tr" and the wavy line are necessary for clarity when the trill is expected to be applied to more than one note (or to tied notes). Also, when attached to a single notehead in one part that corresponds to smaller note values in another part, it leaves no room for doubt if both the letters and the line are used.
The usual way of executing a trill is to rapidly alternate between the note indicated and the note directly above it in the given scale (unless the trill indicates an accidental).

Listen to an example of a short passage ending on a trill. The first time, the passage ends in a trill, and the second, the passage does not.
This is an alternate trill.

These examples are an approximation of how a trill might be executed. In many cases, the rate of the trill will not remain constant as indicated here, but will start slower and become more rapid. Whether a trill is played in this way or not is largely a matter of taste.
The number of alternations between notes can vary according to the length of the note in question. At slower tempos a note will last longer, meaning more notes can be played in the trill, but with a fast tempo and short note a trill might be reduced to nothing more than the indicated note, the note above and the indicated note again.
Trills may also be played beginning on the note above the one indicated (the auxiliary note). Additionally, a trill is often ended by playing the note below the one indicated followed by the note itself.

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks Goran for the explanation.
Thid means playing D-E-D is correct. However, I still do not understand the accompanying notation "1020"....

Coen

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am

I have found this (I admit I searched around for it)
"The numbers that go with the ornaments indicate what left hand fingers to use, in what order."
When you watch M Delcamp in the video you can see that he uses both 1 and 2 for the trill

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 am

Yes, Coen. Now I can't see this youtube video of mr Delcamp, but if mr Delcamp play C-D-C then he had to play the tone D on 5th string, and then you see this :)

:bravo: Richard. :merci:, but what means both - Dis and E like D-Dis-D-E ?

Evangelos Skropidas

Post by Evangelos Skropidas » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Michael, very nice playing there! Precise and beautiful,I liked your playing a lot! Bravo!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”