D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Guiseppe, excellent tone, very musical and interesting on the Guiliani. You could try damping the alternating E and A bass notes at the end every time the chord changes. The Tarrega and Foret were great, steady tempo, clean and good tone. The staccato for the melody of the Tarrega could be emphasized.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Giuseppe Gasparini
Student of the online lessons

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:10 am

Thank you very much Jeremy, for the relevant observations, I'll try to do. :bye: :merci: :merci:

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi everybody! :D I start uploading the lessons for this course, here is the exer. 15 and 16, page 58 of D01.[media]https://youtu.be/Z12b6w0afi4[/media],

This are the exer. 51 to 55, page 126 of D04 :wink: [media]https://youtu.be/--y52p9qk1Y[/media].

Finally this is the Estudio Ostinato byF. Tárrega :casque: [media]https://youtu.be/0BUt82r-a4g[/media].

C&C are very greatly appreciated of course :merci: .
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:15 am

Hello Elias, great job. :bye: :bravo: :bravo:

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Muy bien Elías. Ora la pressione è su di me :oops:

(well done Elías, now the pressure is on me)
- Abie
(ES)(EN) No hay cosas imposibles, sino hombres incapaces ...
------------------------
Guitarras: 2010 Alberto Paredes (Pino suizo), Antonio Carvalho 4C (Cedro)

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Giuseppe and Abie! :D Thanks a lot for your encouraging words :merci: . I´ll be in touch to hear and see the upcoming works! 8)
Guitars: "La Valenciana" model 113 (1976), "Tres Pinos" SCG-E112 (2007), "Sergio Mercado" Ramírez replica 2011, Arturo Hernández Hauser replica (2014), Karina Mendoza Fleta replica (2016).

Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:39 am

Hi everybody. Giuseppe, very nice playing on your pieces, you're really a quick study to get these up to tempo so quickly.

Elias, You are almost there with the Tarrega piece, a couple of rough spots to work out yet. I am about where you are, but not consistent enough yet to record it. It is a deceptively difficult piece to get smooth. I noticed that you have moved up the fretboard to play the 5th measure. I experimented with doing that as well, but the tone up there is quite a bit different. I am really struggling to make the stretch, sometimes I can hold the G# for the whole measure, sometimes not, getting the 4 finger down is not bad, it's the 3rd that is doing me in. Probably I will end up just shorting the G# a bit. I'll try to get my recordings done by next week.

Elías López Cruz

Post by Elías López Cruz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Greg Johnson wrote:Hi everybody. Giuseppe, very nice playing on your pieces, you're really a quick study to get these up to tempo so quickly.

Elias, You are almost there with the Tarrega piece, a couple of rough spots to work out yet. I am about where you are, but not consistent enough yet to record it. It is a deceptively difficult piece to get smooth. I noticed that you have moved up the fretboard to play the 5th measure. I experimented with doing that as well, but the tone up there is quite a bit different. I am really struggling to make the stretch, sometimes I can hold the G# for the whole measure, sometimes not, getting the 4 finger down is not bad, it's the 3rd that is doing me in. Probably I will end up just shorting the G# a bit. I'll try to get my recordings done by next week.
Hi Greg! :D I struggled a lot with the 5th measure and was impossible for me to get that stretch :oops: , that´s why I tried to move up the fretboard, yes the tone is different :desole: . I´ll try once again. Thanks for your words :merci: .
:bye:

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:00 am

Here's the pieces from Lesson 1 - plus a few extra notes!
[media]https://youtu.be/D17ASTqZ7q0[/media]
Jeremy

Guitarras: 1973 Manouk Papazian (Spruce/Morado), two I have built, and an old Telesforo Julve parlor size

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:50 am

Bravo Jeremy, excellent guitar. :bye: :bravo:

abielikesu

Post by abielikesu » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:47 am

This is my first piece (D04) Foret_Stéphanie Bretonneuse - Take 1, after a week of practicing.
I'll post the second one soon.

[media]https://youtu.be/PJiHRiscWeE[/media]

All constructive criticism welcome!
- Abie
(ES)(EN) No hay cosas imposibles, sino hombres incapaces ...
------------------------
Guitarras: 2010 Alberto Paredes (Pino suizo), Antonio Carvalho 4C (Cedro)

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:29 am

Bravo Abie.Solano, playing it a little, it will be perfect, the glissando, more quickly. :bye: :bravo: :bravo:

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Elias, nice job on the Giuliani - very good and even tempo, great tone. You might try bringing out the bass note melody a little more or contrasting it to the level of the arpegios (not sure if I paid attention to this either, but seems like a good approach!). Also, damping on the final alternating A/E/A/E bass notes.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Elias, nice work on the damping. On the rest stroke exercise I couldn't tell if you were doing a rest stroke with the thumb. I don't remember if it was in the instructions but I do remember that last year we were told to do this. Of course that makes it much more difficult, particularly when the thumb is on the 3rd string and the thumb and either i or m fingers come to rest simultaneously on the 2nd string! But I think the point of this is to force your right hand into a very upright position instead of slanting it back to execute the finger rest stroke as I normally do. It also forces you to angle your wrist so that the knuckles are parallel to the strings. Now this is not really a relaxed hand position and I don't use it when I play normally. I have been told that the relaxed position is better, but you can't play this simultaneous thumb and finger rest stroke in the relaxed hand position. After saying all that, I can't really do this very well, as you'll see from my posting. In fact after this exercise is history, I pretty much go back to my old ways for the rest of the lessons!

On the Tarrega G# stretch, it's a tough one for me, but I was able to come closer to doing it by having my thumb very much on the treble side of the fretboard, almost up on the side of it (as the Segovia book shows for playing the higher positions over the body of the guitar) rather than under the neck. So your hand reaches over and the fingers press down on the strings more by leverage than by any clamping action with the thumb.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hickerson
Amateur luthier

Post by Jeremy Hickerson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Abie, very beautiful on the Bretonneuse! Nice use of tone variation in playing more over the sound hole and then closer to the bridge. On the slide, I think the finger stroke is at the beginning of the slide rather than at the end of it. I had trouble executing this (and even threw in one accidentally where it wasn't required!)
Jeremy

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”