D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Coen van Dijk

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 am

....In the exercises 52-53 I find it harder if I place all fingers on their strings then play, then put all fingers down again and then play the other fingers. It is easier(for me) to imagine the fingers to be momentarily all off the strings rather than momentarily all on the strings.......
Thats a good idea. I will give it a go to see if I get more fluent...

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 am

Richard Judge wrote: Well done Goran, You don't need to play the repeats the final time through.
(After the "D.C. al Fine")
Thank's Richard - This means less chance for making mistakes :lol:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Coen,

Watch your RH knuckles during the damping exercise. There's a lot of extending going on (instead of flexing, like at the joint). I was doing this as well early on (still fixing it...that's why I don't have vids yet :( )

Try going much slower and focus on pulling the whole finger into the palm at both the joint and the knuckle. It should lead to much better tone and less RH tension. Hope this helps!!

Mark

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Stewart,

Same advice for you....careful about extending at the RH knuckles.

Don't have the camera in too tight during pieces; your RH isn't showing well. (and I'm finding that most of the feedback I give on here is related to the RH!)

Again still working on my own vids. The damping exercises 52 and 53 are sapping my will to live!!

Mark

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Well done Goran, even for the short practice time.
How did you get the 52 and 53 excersises that good in so little time? Im still doing them and they are still not that good.
Any tips on how to practice them?

About the Sor piece: You play the 1/16 notes too fast (the yellow colored bits in the score). You make them sound like grace-notes, which is also nice, but not what the excersise says :contrat: :D
They should be twice as fast as the rest of the 1/8 notes. Which gives you more time to make the actually pull-off with the 4th finger. In bar 17 and hallfway into bar 18, upto the rest, I slow down (or try to) (riterdando, or rit.) which gives you even more time to play the 1/16 notes. It turns out that actually it is more difficult to play the pull-off with the 4th finger with the same tonal quality as the other notes.

At MarK: Thanks for the advice. I think I know what you mean if I compare my hand with what mr Delcamp is doing. I will get to work .... 8)

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:58 pm

....In the exercises 52-53 I find it harder if I place all fingers on their strings then play, then put all fingers down again and then play the other fingers. It is easier(for me) to imagine the fingers to be momentarily all off the strings rather than momentarily all on the strings.......
Well, I tried and I made a huge step forward with this excersise. I was first putting my fingers back on the strings and then pulling the next ones. If I first pull the next ones and put the previous ones back as fast as possible I can increase the speed with which I put them back a lott and the excersise becomes more fluent. The danger is that this way you dont notice it too much when the damping is performed slow. The way I first played I immediately could notice when I was too slow, which in my case, was always...
I doube checked what mr Delcamp is doing and indeed he is doing it too.

Thans for this tip Richard. :merci:
In this case its not all in the head, but in the fingers too :)

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:14 am

Hello all,
Most observations I have noticed have been addressed already by others, and as with others I am struggling with the excercises 52 & 53. Just a concentration issue and going slowly is the key for this as I know speed will come in time. The one we were asked to post seems easier, though I know the key is to damp at the same time the other fingers play.

Stewart I thought your camera angle was great on those excercises! I need to work on mine a bit.
Goran played very well considering only his third time though I wonder if he was synchronized with the finger alternation. I couldn't really tell.

Here are my first tries

[media]https://youtu.be/qIhoRk9Tt3U[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/ypo7NYllNik[/media]
3 tries

[media]https://youtu.be/ztytteIZJ_w[/media]

Jack

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:57 am

Coen van Dijk wrote:Well done Goran, even for the short practice time.
How did you get the 52 and 53 excersises that good in so little time? Im still doing them and they are still not that good.
Any tips on how to practice them?
I work both D02 and D03, so I exercise and preparing same exercises last week for the D02. That is the secret of my success :)
Coen van Dijk wrote:About the Sor piece: You play the 1/16 notes too fast (the yellow colored bits in the score). You make them sound like grace-notes, which is also nice, but not what the excersise says :contrat: :D
They should be twice as fast as the rest of the 1/8 notes. Which gives you more time to make the actually pull-off with the 4th finger. In bar 17 and hallfway into bar 18, upto the rest, I slow down (or try to) (riterdando, or rit.) which gives you even more time to play the 1/16 notes. It turns out that actually it is more difficult to play the pull-off with the 4th finger with the same tonal quality as the other notes.
Thank you pointed me in this detail. I have to work on it.

:bravo: Coen, your Valse seems great to me :casque: I have not seen it first time when I read your post
:bye:

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 pm

:bravo: Jack, very good.
I have a feeling that the upper part of your guitar (body) is too tilted toward your body, so it is inclined toward the chest. This means that you should take more lower end toward you so that your guitar stands vertically, perhaps even a little inclined outward with the upper end.
But perhaps it is only because of the angle of recording.
I hope you understand what I mean (in fact that "Google translator" did a good job). :)

:bye:

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:41 am

Just listening through everyone's Carcassi Valses--I suggest using the dynamics to help contrast each section. Stewart does a nice job of this. Here's my submission.

[media]https://youtu.be/JAaaf3OUqT0[/media]

Richard Judge

Post by Richard Judge » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Michael those dynamics certainly bring the Valse to life. It lends itself to this with the chordal parts contrasting against the more melodic arpeggios.
:bravo:

Here are my initial submissions. I have forgone the comfort of my usual arm chair for a more upright position.

Exercises
[media]https://youtu.be/9NGtfadgOOs[/media]
Extensions
I see from viewing this that I am also leaning my guitar back to see the strings :? You can see how I struggle with the last one. I can do it if I spend ages getting my hand into position.
[media]https://youtu.be/X41N3tmXb58[/media]
Carcassi Valse Opus 59 (this is the last take of three but they are all much of a muchness I get tenser as the piece progresses in all of them)
[media]https://youtu.be/j0FzQeI0Khk[/media]

I've also recorded the Sor exercise. There's a couple of slips in this :oops: but I think it has potential. :D
[media]https://youtu.be/Xe1Wg0vxEdI[/media]

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Here's Lesson 2. I tried to incorporate the damping RH finger exercises into the Carcassi Valse. In the first section, I damped (ex.52,53) to separate and add a more percussive sound. In the arpeggio section, I let the bass ring while trying to alternately play and damp the upper notes (ex. 51,54). I’m still working out the details.

[media]https://youtu.be/jqZAJ-ZK954[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/40zS1NA3ciM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/CH1k0drf5zc[/media]

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:22 pm

:bravo: Ross! It sounded really good and you looked to be playing with ease.
The damping sounded great. Only thing you might explore to improve it is to vary the distance from the bridge, I think the third section in particular sounds good when played with the RH over the sound hole or the bottom end of the fretboard.

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:25 pm

I agree with Michael about using this piece to explore dynamics and it is a good one for that. Varying the distance from the bridge as Ned suggested is one way, and also varying the amount of flesh used to strike the strings and/or nail is another. The versions posted that are most enjoyable to listen to, IMHO, are the ones that have volume and unique variety of expression with the piece. There are suggestions for volume changes with the piece and I am trying to master the fingering, so that I can concentrate more on making it sound like my own personal rendition, without going too far from what the piece was intended to sound like. My first posting, as with many of the others on here, sounds almost mechanical, and like I am just playing the notes at the tempo written, with little personal expression.Michael, Stewart and of course M. Delcamp seem to be expressing more with it and this is what I am shooting for by my next posting of the piece.
Jack

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:15 am

Ned, Jack
Thanks for your comments. I agree, It sounds a little bland. I'll keep working at it.
Ross

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”