D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jack Jarrett

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:13 am

Ross, are you referring to the damping excercises? I have been working on the improvisation alluded to in lesson 1, with the schiarazula and also improv listed at the end of D03 book.I expect to have to do some around lesson 7 again as was done in D02

Jack

RossStep

Post by RossStep » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Goran, Jack
My mistake, Carcassi Allegretto Op 59, p64 and Sor Valse no. 1 Op 51, p48 were listed as extra practice on last year's D03 lesson 2. I wrote the lesson down from the archive last summer.
Ross

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi All
Here´s my second try of the Valse.
Thanks to Mark, who mentioned that Goran achhieved the bounching effect the best, I discovered that I was not bouncing at all. :?
Looking closer at the score, especially the right hand fingering, and mr Delcamp, I now try to play the bouncing phrases like the damping excersised for three fingers.
I also tried to incorporate some of the dynamics everybody was mentioning.
Thirdly I did the pulling of the strings after the damping by making a more roling motion towards the inside of my palm, instead of pulling with my nuckes, as also Mark suggested. I found that this way, I can achieve greater volume, without the strings making awfull noises.

I guess its not the fastest version, but I hope its the most bouncy one :war: :D

Thanks for all your critical comments

Coen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:50 pm

:bravo: Coen, very good performance. :bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Agreed...that was very good Coen!

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Two quick thoughts about capturing "bounce" or even the "feel" of 3/8 (or 6/8) time, which Ned was noting earlier can be tricky...
1. Aaron Shearer's "Learning the Classic Guitar" Volume 3 ('the red one') has some very detailed sections on connecting notes, phrases, etc. The one with the CD included the author both playing guitar and solfeging examples. I had to go over the material many times (luckily its a short book!) before it sunk in but when it did it really 'clicked'.

2. Sometimes it helps to look up on the Internet what the steps look like to a certain dance (Waltz, Gigue, etc.) and keep this in mind while playing the piece.

Hope this helps!

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi all,

Here are my submissions for the month. I added the Sor piece as some of you have. Of all of my attempts it has some temporal hiccups but I liked the way the two voices had some separation in this take. (though not as good as Mr DelCamp...sigh).

We're all making great progress I think! :bravo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

:bravo: Mark, very good. :bye:

Coen van Dijk

Post by Coen van Dijk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Mark
good performance! :bravo:
About the extensions: It looks like, you are turning your wrist during the hardest, last part. Check if your left hand thumb is really at the third fret and underneath the 2nd-string, or even the 1st string, if this helps. This wil increase your reach. Also, it looks like part of the turning of your wrist is caused by your elbow bending towards the body of the guitar. Try keeping your elbow where it is at the start of the excersise.

The problem I have with the last part, while not turning my wrist (I believe), is this: When holding the C# with the 4th finger I have a problem placing my 3rd finger, because I have to bend in to much inward in my palm in order to reach the 2nd string.I then tend to press down on the string, not with the tip of my 3rd finger, but rather with the flesh inbetween my nail and the tip. Which produces an awfull sound. No Idea how I can improve this. Anybody?
Probably just practice more.

Coen

Stephan Chong

Post by Stephan Chong » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi all,

You will find my videos below :) Comments and feedbacks are welcome ! :D

[media]https://youtu.be/oy0oesXhhz4[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/btIeOn_vkZY[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/yHlTHcHYMB0[/media]

Stephan

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:43 pm

:bravo: Stephan, but
in some places are your transitions too fast. I do not see damping at the marked locations (maybe due to the angle of recording).
:bye:

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Stephan,

First two 'technical' issues. One, the audio has some clipping/distortion at higher volumes. Any adjustments you can make? Two, in these lessons we watch in addition to listen and your camera shot is a little too tight to see your right hand.

The Valse is coming along, it just has some minor tempo issues like Goran mentioned that would probably be ironed out with more time/practice.

With the damping exercise though be careful. Your large knuckles are almost exclusively extending rather than flexing. Interestingly you don't seem to do that while playing the Carcassi piece.

Stephan Chong

Post by Stephan Chong » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Thank you for the constructive comments Marc and Goran. I will work on the tempo and the damping (I realize now that my movements are not natural, i.e. stretching)

Indeed, the technical setup is not that great since I am using my macbook for both the score and the video capture :) I will try to improve it for my next recording.

Ned Henderson

Post by Ned Henderson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Dear All

Here is a second attempt at the Sor exercise and Carcassi Waltz. I have also been practising the extensions and made a pretty dreadful recording of it... :oops: ...which my personal vanity has persuaded me not to post. I will have another go and try to post a better one, but if I don't succeed...you get the bad recording in a few days time :twisted:
I have found practising the extensions has been difficult but very useful, even though I am finding them hard I am slowly improving. Soon as I get the camera out though, it goes from bad to worse...
Anyway thanks to anyone who has time to watch the videos and offer their reflections on my practice.

[media]https://youtu.be/jUZ47wueNc4[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/BeTobuHlicE[/media]

Ned

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Ned, When I try to watch your videos it say they are private. You need to change the setting I think.

As far as the video causing us to play worse, I and many others are in the same boat. What I have ended up doing lately is to leave the camera going until I get a decent recording, which can be a little tough remembering which was the good one! I think this helps me because eventually I will become acustomed to having it running and will relax as I normally do when practicing. That is the hardest obstacle right now for me is to get my head into that place where I am completely relaxed and thinking of the music. In this "zone" I have no tension in my hands and body, and I am not concerned so much with making "the perfect recording".That worry causes me to tense up and I don't play very well. I've also noticed I don't play as well in the evenings after a hard day at work, or when I feel like I should be doing something else,(like spending time with my wife) or crossing things off the honey-do list! :? In fact my best playing seems to be when I first wake up on the weekend, after I have that first cup of coffee and before my wife is awake.

So I think playing for the camera is good practice in that it gets us ready for performing and learning to find a way to get right into "the zone" is what I am trying to get out of this.
Anyway, looking forward to seeing your posts!
Jack

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”